Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:13 PM

290 posts, read 760,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Knox. Except for Maryville (pronounced Mur-vul). It is in Blount County (pronounced Blunt).
I knew Maryville was in Blount, I've darned near memorized all the towns in the surrounding counties of Knoxville. I just wasn't familiar with a lot of the other areas that were being mentioned....I guess maybe because I hadn't done that much research in Knox county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 11:04 AM

13 posts, read 28,388 times
You all are wonderful. Really appreciate all the feedback. My husband and I have been going back and forth about whether to buy a home right away, or wait until we know the area better. We were kind of hoping that, because it's not a huge sprawling city, we might be able to get a good enough sense of it relatively quickly. We're really eager to buy something (and to not have to move again in 6-9 months) but we also want to be sure it's a home we can stay in for a while. I will check Lakemoor Hills again. I did find a couple homes for sale there, but I probably wasn't doing a broad enough price search. I was assuming they'd all be in the higher ranges. As for realtor's steering me anywhere...I don't even have one anymore. I did, but it didn't work out so now a friend has referred me to someone new. We'll see how that goes. The last one seemed to think I was looking too soon. She kept saying "You're not moving until January, 2010"...as if that's a long time from now. Seems to me most homes stay on the market for a while, but she seemed to think everything I was looking at would be gone by the time we arrived to see it in person. Anyway, I will check out all the areas y'all have suggested...and I will definitely check out Home Federal! Thanks again.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:13 PM

6,337 posts, read 11,507,784 times
Good grief, I think now is exactly the time you would be looking if you plan to move in Jan. Of course I get the point that some might be sold by the time that you see them in person, but it's good to familiarize yourself with the market to see what your options are.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:14 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,765,581 times
Island Homes is in Knox Co. on the south side of the River near Ijams Nature Center. Lakemoor Hills is Knox Co., also South Knoxville. Louisville is in Blount Co. between West Knoxville and Maryville, still fairly rural.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,765,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Knox. Except for Maryville (pronounced Mur-vul). It is in Blount County (pronounced Blunt).
Alternate, more genteel "city folk" pronounciation: Mare-a-vul

Old 11-23-2009, 11:21 PM

There are some nice homes in Louisville, but my impression is that the schools in Blount Co. are pretty bad (with the exception of those in the city of Maryville). Is that accurate?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,080,581 times
This resource is invaluable. I am a parent, too. I have a nine-year-old and wouldn't have moved without it. I also tell my clients that they might want to consider it when purchasing, also, due to resell and investment purposes.

Further help can be found at the state website regarding test scores, although that doesn't always tell the entire tale, does it?

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 PM

Thanks, that is a great website.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:13 AM

623 posts, read 1,535,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpaca33 View Post
There are some nice homes in Louisville, but my impression is that the schools in Blount Co. are pretty bad (with the exception of those in the city of Maryville). Is that accurate?
Blount County schools are fine. I have one buddy from Heritage at Johns Hopkins Medical School and another who just finished up his MBA at Vandy. If you rely on the government to prepare your kid, I don't care if he goes to Oak Ridge, Maryville, or Farragut, he or she will likely fail. If you provide the proper parenting, your kid could go to Wartburg and still succeed to his or her highest capability. That said, county schools are not as good as the Maryville city system, imo.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:21 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,360,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Blount County schools are fine. I have one buddy from Heritage at Johns Hopkins Medical School and another who just finished up his MBA at Vandy. If you rely on the government to prepare your kid, I don't care if he goes to Oak Ridge, Maryville, or Farragut, he or she will likely fail. If you provide the proper parenting, your kid could go to Wartburg and still succeed to his or her highest capability. That said, county schools are not as good as the Maryville city system, imo.
Excellent! I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville