Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Please note, this thread was a break off from another thread that had run off topic, but with a good informative discussion going, was split and it's own thread created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Blount County schools are fine. I have one buddy from Heritage at Johns Hopkins Medical School and another who just finished up his MBA at Vandy. If you rely on the government to prepare your kid, I don't care if he goes to Oak Ridge, Maryville, or Farragut, he or she will likely fail. If you provide the proper parenting, your kid could go to Wartburg and still succeed to his or her highest capability. That said, county schools are not as good as the Maryville city system, imo.
I agree, up to a point. Parental involvement is almost everything. But you still need a good school system.

I am reminded of Bill and Linda Gates on the Oprah Winfrey show. It was about the failure of some schools and a young lady from Tennessee was on there. She was top in her class but incredibly behind in college. My heart broke for her.

I searched and searched to find this. It was on tv about 3 years ago, but it stayed with me.

Beth was the best and the brightest at Hancock High, a small school in rural Hancock County, Tennessee. All her life, she dreamed about being at the top of her class and someday becoming a doctor.

Moderator cut: see article/copy write issues."

Failing Grade - Oprah.com

Last edited by mbmouse; 12-01-2009 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Other than one or two sentances, we can be sited for copy write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Since Hancock county is one of the poorest counties in the whole USA it doesn't surprise me the kid had challenges.

I have the feeling that South Knox or Blount county schools would be adeqate for a big percentage of kids if they had good parental support.

What boggles me about this converstion is the kids aren't even born yet! Isn't it a bit soon to judge their academic needs? Besides, I have a feeling the OP will be transferred out of the area before any kids reach school age.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:45 PM

13 posts, read 28,496 times
Why do you say that Creeksitter? We hope to stay for many years to come.
As to the children not being born...Our plan is to adopt and, in all likelihood, we will adopt children who are already school-age, as that is where the biggest need is. Also, even for those without children, school districts are important for re-sale value.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpaca33 View Post
Why do you say that Creeksitter? We hope to stay for many years to come.
As to the children not being born...Our plan is to adopt and, in all likelihood, we will adopt children who are already school-age, as that is where the biggest need is. Also, even for those without children, school districts are important for re-sale value.
Good for you. Parents that adopt and adopted kids are near and dear to my heart.

And yes, some people don't care, and that's fine, but one should try to get into the best school area that they can for the money. It will come back to you.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:26 PM

13 posts, read 28,496 times
Thanks, Hiknapster!

Old 12-01-2009, 01:36 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Blount County schools are fine. I have one buddy from Heritage at Johns Hopkins Medical School and another who just finished up his MBA at Vandy. If you rely on the government to prepare your kid, I don't care if he goes to Oak Ridge, Maryville, or Farragut, he or she will likely fail. If you provide the proper parenting, your kid could go to Wartburg and still succeed to his or her highest capability. That said, county schools are not as good as the Maryville city system, imo.

This is a complete cop-out for the fact that children do not receive equal education. Apparently Maryville relies on its "evil government" to collect enough "evil taxes" to make their schools high quality. Sadly, TN will continue to fall behind in education, with the poorest suffering the worst. Of course I'm sure conservative Tennesseans will continue to find a way to justify it...make sure you're born into a good family that lives in an area with good schools!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
This is a complete cop-out for the fact that children do not receive equal education. Apparently Maryville relies on its "evil government" to collect enough "evil taxes" to make their schools high quality. Sadly, TN will continue to fall behind in education, with the poorest suffering the worst. Of course I'm sure conservative Tennesseans will continue to find a way to justify it...make sure you're born into a good family that lives in an area with good schools!
Ah, but people in Blount County have a choice. They can live in the city of Maryville or they can live in rural Blount County. The city government has levied taxes to pay for schools. If you don't want to live in the city and pay those taxes for those better schools, you don't have to. The city of Maryville is not forcing anyone to live within its city limits.

The only "evil" government as far as conservatives go is a bloated federal government which takes all freedom of choice away. A government that's large enough to give you everything you want is also large enough to take away from you everything you have.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I'll confess -- I figured the kids would come along the old fashioned way.

My prediction is Mt Olive will get better over the next 5-10 years as techy jobs move into the area. I don't know much about the blount county schools in question.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:20 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Ah, but people in Blount County have a choice. They can live in the city of Maryville or they can live in rural Blount County. The city government has levied taxes to pay for schools. If you don't want to live in the city and pay those taxes for those better schools, you don't have to. The city of Maryville is not forcing anyone to live within its city limits.

The only "evil" government as far as conservatives go is a bloated federal government which takes all freedom of choice away. A government that's large enough to give you everything you want is also large enough to take away from you everything you have.
You still have not justified the lack of equal education. Children do not make these choices, their parents do. Housing is more expensive in Maryville as opposed to the county. I can guarantee you that the county is poorer than the city overall. Wealthier areas have better schools overall than poor areas. Again, conservatives always assume that everything is choice and that all children have the same opportunities. This is a lie.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
You still have not justified the lack of equal education. Children do not make these choices, their parents do. Housing is more expensive in Maryville as opposed to the county. I can guarantee you that the county is poorer than the city overall. Wealthier areas have better schools overall than poor areas. Again, conservatives always assume that everything is choice and that all children have the same opportunities. This is a lie.
Have to disagree with you on your sweeping generalization that city schools are better than county. You want proof? My kids are proof. They are getting a fantastic education in a great school.....wait for it....in a COUNTY school in Washington County. I would never send them to the city schools, too big, to many social issues that interfere with their education (ie drugs, etc.) I started my youngest out in an even smaller school in Greene County (read: very poor county) and he excelled, my oldest need IEP and they did so well with him that he was stream lined class room and only on consult by the time he was in 6th grade. He is now about to graduate and go to college, with no modifications of any kind. My youngest will have 2 college credits complete by the time he graduates...all this from County schools, one in a very poor county.
So I, from personal experience, will claim that your assessment that all county schools are inferior and that only wealthy areas have better schools than poor is false.
I would also like to add that I moved here mainly because of my children's education needs. I moved here from Jupiter FL, look up those $$$ stats, one of the highest taxed/funded schools on the east coast of FL and VERY wealthy families....the schools sucked..big time! I purposely moved my kids out of that wealthy "greatest school around because it is so well funded" neighborhood to a small, po-dunk county school in east TN so I know they would get a great education.
How many children do you have/have put through school? Did they go to city or county? How well prepared were they for college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville