Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 PM

24 posts, read 58,120 times

Advertisements

..About "making ends meet."

That CAN be done here, in Sevierville. Buying your house outright ought to set you up easily. But - keep this in mind....if you're looking at buying out in the county (outside Sevierville city limits) the city legislators will soon annex this cheaper area and the attractive property taxes will go up. Generally, I think the cost of living is higher here, than in Knoxville.

My opinion rises out of my personal experience moving from Knoxville to a rental house in Sevier county. Oh, by the way, the rentals aren't published anywhere on a reliable basis. You just kinda have to "know someone". But, as to living expenses, I'm constantly shocked by higher prices charged here, as compared to the same store in Knoxville. Like groceries, for example. The Kroger in Sevierville might carry the same sales flyer online as all the other Atlanta district stores, but often, the bargains I note aren't available at the Sevierville store or the shelf is empty (they won't restock the item at the low price). And gasoline is always $.10 higher here, than Knoxville (even though it all comes out of the same depot in Knoxville). This isn't a scientific study - just one person's impression.

Living outside the city limits has its down points too. Fire protection is volunteer (not to say they are inadequate because the volunteer firefighters I know personally are fantastic folk and very professional). No garbage pickup unless you want to contract with one of two or three private companies listed in the phone book. But, a county dump is nearby, so it's just a matter of putting the trash in my car trunk and making a short detour every other day. I once met a nice lady who worked for Enterprise (the rental car company that will pick you up) who moved here with her husband from up north. She loved her part time job, and loved the house they live in. But I didn't see it - so can't judge.

The only 'metro' ameneties we have here, are a few fast food restaurants and the availability to go to Knoxville for the rest. The is one movie theater in Sevierville. There are rumors of another Walmart coming soon out near the interstate. We have a small public library. Lots of 'overpriced' grocery stores (see above). No roadside vege stands. Several Dollar Stores (though I've not been in any of them). Lotta banks. And.....? hmmm....that's all I can think of. I actally do quite a bit of my shopping online because the items I want are not available locally......they just aren't here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,531 times
Default help!

Hi! My family will be relocating to the Gatlinburg area due to my husbands job. We were thinking Sevierville due to it's proximity to Gatlinburg but I haven't been reading very good stuff about it. Do any of ya'll like Sevierville? Where would be better? His job is in Gatlinburg so we want to be within 20 min or so. Everyone is praising Maryville but it is 40 mi away. Schools are also an issue(we have 2 kids). Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks

Old 10-16-2007, 02:12 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Just to point out that if you live in Knox county, and many do, you have to pay for fire service and trash pick up will either have to be contracted or brought to a station, also.

I don't think that living in a tourist area is a good deal, ever, though.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amipelliott View Post
Hi! My family will be relocating to the Gatlinburg area due to my husbands job. We were thinking Sevierville due to it's proximity to Gatlinburg but I haven't been reading very good stuff about it. Do any of ya'll like Sevierville? Where would be better? His job is in Gatlinburg so we want to be within 20 min or so. Everyone is praising Maryville but it is 40 mi away. Schools are also an issue(we have 2 kids). Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks
Hmm... I would think if you could find a place to live on the east/south east side of Gatlinburg kinda towards Cosby but still be in the Sevier Co school district, as it is very good school, you would avoid a lot of traffic. There are also some amenities for the locals out that way such as city hall, fire Dept, gas station or two, a nice Food City and I believe the library is that way too. I wouldn't go as far as Cosby as I personally have not heard anything good about the school systems there and I looked into them, but that was years ago (96-97), they might have changed some? The other option might be Townsend? They seem to have a good school system within the town even though the Co isn't listed as great. It might be a bit of a drive but Townsend is a nice, beautiful area. I think Sevierville schools are some of the best around as they have an amazing reading program plus they have a lot of extra curricular things such as band and music programs more so than other counties because Dolly Parton subsidizes those programs.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,531 times
Thanks for replying! I read somewhere else that Townsend was good. we will be coming up there after Christmas to look .

Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 7,322 times
Default HELP!! Anyone posting now?

My family would love to move to the Gatlinburg/PF/Sevierville/anywhere up there area. I am very familiar with the entire area having been up there several times and staying a short times over the past 8 years. However, my son & daughter-in-law adopted a bi-racial baby and I'm afraid he won't be accepted anywhere. Can anyone tell me about racial problems in the area - or the lack of? I know there aren't many African Americans in the area and there are a lot of rednecks. Rednecks I can handle except for our baby.
Anyway, my son is a middle/high school teacher who would also need a job. Can anyone answer any questions? Thanks

Old 06-10-2009, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,698 times
welcome home I have lived in altanta and huntsville al. I now live on hwy 411 out of town with great views. love it . let me know if i can help u in any way

Old 06-20-2009, 12:13 PM

121 posts, read 330,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photographermyra View Post
welcome home I have lived in altanta and huntsville al. I now live on hwy 411 out of town with great views. love it . let me know if i can help u in any way
Photographermyra.......I sent you a private message. Would you look at it when you get a chance?

Thank you!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,188 times
Default Fox Den community's reputation

[quote=adanVdo;753585]Okay -

Sorry for the delay...medical problems.

I can't find the map I was looking for, but here are my OPINIONS of some of the Knoxville areas:

ZIP 37922 IS Farragut - It's growing quickly, has 2 golf course communities. Fox Den is now "World Class", I think, but the residents are snooty, ignorant, and very self-absorbed (the ones who've been there since 1969 are the ones I know of). Fox Den has lots of wild teenagers - parents not too interested in teaching them values, morals, etc. But the houses are very nice.

---------------------

Thank you so much for your very candid comments about Fox Den! I both laughed with delight and grimaced with annoyance as I was flooded with memories of living there throughout the first half of the 80's.

Although new to the region, I, too, was well aware that the community was looked upon as snobbish and much too insular, especially the members whose lives seemed to be centered around little FDCC to the exclusion of a broader range of activities and experiences. (My family were were members, but it was not our reason for being...) I hated to be asked where I lived and to be prejudged, so I would initially answer along the lines of "off Campbell Station exit", "near Smith Road", "near Boring Farm", etc. That rarely satisfied the nosey-parkers, though!

From my perspective, many of the families in Fox Den were nouveau riche, incredibly insecure, and headed by boisterous, hard-drinking, sales and marketing types. I sought out the more low-key and otherwise compatible people and have fond memories of more than a few with whom I remained friends after relocating to a charming cottage in lovely Sequoyah Hills and eventually moving away from Knoxville. I found SH much more to my liking because the neighborhood was settled (homes not glaringly new), woodsy, and displayed a riot of color in Spring. Also, I no longer felt "on display" as I had in then visually wide open FD. :-)

I was last in Fox Den a couple of years ago, and though the community naturally looks much more settled and natural than in the early 80's -- particularly due to the maturity of the trees and other landscaping around the homes -- it still does not attract me. Also, I would prefer being close to downtown and the river, plus we no longer have school age children, so schools are not an issue.

Finally, in response to your comment about the teens in Fox Den, although I know nothing of those there now, when I lived in the community, the teen students at Farragut, who resided in Fox Den or adjacent areas, had a thriving enterprise until eventually caught. At lunchtime, they were burgling FD homes of easy to conceal, quick-fence items such as jewelry and sterling flatware. I would assume the increased popularity of home security systems, along with enhanced technology, might ward off that today.

Last edited by HalcyonDaysAreNow; 02-19-2012 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: clarification of meaning

Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
WOW!!! Someone resurrects a post that's almost 3 years old to post a very slanted viewpoint of an area where they don't currently live. ????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville