U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,684,083 times

Advertisements

I didn't mean to imply it was Appalachia, and I didn't. I stated a statistic, Hondaguy. It has a high poverty level, but it also means 68 percent of the folks live above that point.

It's a nice enough place. A very small community in a rural area.

Thanks for the warning about the Maynardville park, RRR. By the way, I like that Norris Lake campground a lot. The lower one, on the east side of the river has cute-as-a-button cottages and the higher campground on the other side has contemporary chalets with an olympic-size pool.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 PM

1,754 posts, read 4,042,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I didn't mean to imply it was Appalachia, and I didn't. I stated a statistic, Hondaguy. It has a high poverty level, but it also means 68 percent of the folks live above that point.

It's a nice enough place. A very small community in a rural area.

Thanks for the warning about the Maynardville park, RRR. By the way, I like that Norris Lake campground a lot. The lower one, on the east side of the river has cute-as-a-button cottages and the higher campground on the other side has contemporary chalets with an olympic-size pool.
We went by Hickory Star and it seems like another one out there before settling on Loyston (and since we were lakeside, we had our own swimming beach!).... i'm not familiar with the area, so i'll have to ask Greg when he gets back in town. @ Hickory Star (I think-lol) the kids asked if they could bike there. I took one look at the steep hills and said 'Yeah. Once.'

Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 PM

187 posts, read 432,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
I have to comment on Hondaguy's reference to Big Ridge.
We attempted to stay there a few weeks ago and after ONE drive through, we ran like heck to Loyston Point.
I'm sure the amenities were grand, if you could see them for all the people. The campground, no joke, consisted of campers/tents with mere feet of separation between them. NO privacy, not much in the way of green and leafy except for the trees bordering the backside of the campsites- it honestly looked like a sardine can of a trailer park. Very congested and for the woman who yelled at us for daring to bring a DIESEL into the campground (how she heard it over the noise of all the campers there, I'll never know!) - pretty rude as well.
It looks really nice online (the description of the campground) but it was sort of like expecting being off the path in the Smokies and the reality was Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

I wouldn't suggest trying to camp at Big Ridge anyways...Theres no point to really...Theres alot of better places to camp in the area besides in Maynardville...I was just suggesting the park area itself,Which is not really even near the campground by the way...The park itself is a great place for a family to spend a Saturday or Sunday at...Theres swimming,tennis,beach volleyball,baseball,basketball,And a few hiking trails as well...Some short and some longer that will take you out to the dam and what not...I suggest just checking it out and see for yourself other than reading what 1 or 2 posts say about the area they that barely know about.. it seems like anyways

http://state.tn.us/environment/parks/BigRidge/

That will tell you pretty much all you need to know about the park and the area itself

Last edited by hondaguy83; 07-31-2010 at 11:51 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 AM

What?
I said we visited the campground (along with a few others) before setting up camp. What part of that sounds like I took my information from posts? And what about my posts give anything other than my opinion of the campground? And yes, that's the site we visited prior to taking the drive out. It says nothing about the siting of the campsites. Yes, it details all the amenities, but after visiting, we decided that even that much to do couldn't shadow out the tremendous amount of people there.

So, just like anything in life, seeing it with your own two eyes is an invaluable tool- pictures and blurbs online (either from a message board or a state run website) can't replace the need to investigate IRL.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 PM

187 posts, read 432,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
What?
I said we visited the campground (along with a few others) before setting up camp. What part of that sounds like I took my information from posts? And what about my posts give anything other than my opinion of the campground? And yes, that's the site we visited prior to taking the drive out. It says nothing about the siting of the campsites. Yes, it details all the amenities, but after visiting, we decided that even that much to do couldn't shadow out the tremendous amount of people there.

So, just like anything in life, seeing it with your own two eyes is an invaluable tool- pictures and blurbs online (either from a message board or a state run website) can't replace the need to investigate IRL.

Its no biggie...I didn't mean to be a douche or anything by it...I could of told you that the campground area would be probably crowded,And all i was trying to say was that i wouldn't suggest trying to camp there..Thats all....For the park itself tho it usually isn't that crowded and it is a good place to go and spend some family time over the weekend...I spent most of my teen years going to Big Ridge and i always had fun there...The trails are pretty good for not being in the smokies

Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 AM

I get what you're saying- my husband grew up visiting Big Ridge on a very regular basis growing up in the late seventies and eighties and was very disappointed in what it had become. He had such fond memories and had talked it up SO much, that it was a big let down to see how overpopulated it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville