U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,681 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just moved here in October from Florida due to a job transfer. We are closing on a home in a couple days in Luttrell. Some people from work said you had to beware of coyote's in Luttrell, any truth to that? We have 3 small yorkies under 10 pounds and a 60 pound lab.

Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 07:12 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,679,065 times
I am almost positive that there has been talk on the forum about coyotes. I've lived here over four years and haven't seen or heard any, but I think they were sighted in Oak Ridge or Clinton? That's pretty far from Luttrell but honestly, they could be anywhere. Coyotes are all over the US, Canada, Central America and Mexico.

Congratulations on your home purchase! Welcome to the area and the forum.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,621,374 times
Yes, I would keep a lookout. They have now moved all the way to the east coast. I have spotted them in Bearden in west Knoxville. They are even being sighted in New Jersey of all places!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:21 AM

7,050 posts, read 15,833,870 times
There is a rather large pack of coyotes that frequents the area around my parents' house in Greene County. Luttrell is definitely rural enough to have coyote problems. It's especially important not to let small dogs run loose at night in the countryside.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:38 AM

745 posts, read 1,619,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I am almost positive that there has been talk on the forum about coyotes. I've lived here over four years and haven't seen or heard any, but I think they were sighted in Oak Ridge or Clinton? That's pretty far from Luttrell but honestly, they could be anywhere. Coyotes are all over the US, Canada, Central America and Mexico.

Congratulations on your home purchase! Welcome to the area and the forum.
According to TWRA, and this was a few years ago, coyotes could/can be found in every county in the state, with the exception of Johnson County. Back then, Johnson County, in the northeastern tip of East Tennessee did not have any coyotes (reported). But now, it is very likely that Johnson County has them.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,202 times
We are moving to Lutrell on or around August 20, 2010. I am looking forward to meeting new people as well as findind a new church home. We have just bought 6 acres, my husband and son-in-law have been there already, I haven't even seen the place yet. If you have any suggestions for me, such as shopping, schooling, churches, and just plain hometown activities please let me know. [email]theresa.woodby@gmail.com[/email]

Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 AM

459 posts, read 1,210,680 times
Coyotes are all over but I wouldn't worry overly about them. I mean, you don't have the Yorkies running around the countryside at night alone, right?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,679,065 times
Luttrell is tiny. I mean 915-people-tiny. There's not much of anything there. It's claim to fame is that Kenny Chesney is from there. It is a fairly poor town. 31.5% of residents have income below the poverty level. It is about 30 minutes to downtown Knoxville. I think your closest grocery store of any significance is the IGA in Blaine. That will probably only be about 15 minutes away. It's pretty country though, with some small ridges, rolling hills and farms.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 PM

187 posts, read 432,725 times
Theres nothing in Luttrell but land and then more land...It is very country and rural there...I wouldn't say it was anything like Appalachia tho...There is some nice houses there...Far as things to do and see goes...I suggest going to Big Ridge State park in Maynardville...Its just 30 or so mins away from Luttrell...I went there alot growing up and its a really nice well kept state park on the lake with paddle boats,kayaks,canoes,etc...Theres also the Knox dragway in Maynardville if you're into 1/8th mile drag racing...The nearest place for walmart and resturants would be Halls...Maynardville does have a Food City and a IGA but thats it...Idk what schools you go to in Luttrell...I would say Union County for high and elementary and middle im not to sure on...Even tho Kenny Chesney went to Gibbs when he lived in Luttrell,But Gibbs is a Knox County school,So idk

Old 07-30-2010, 07:26 AM

1,754 posts, read 4,042,028 times
I have to comment on Hondaguy's reference to Big Ridge.
We attempted to stay there a few weeks ago and after ONE drive through, we ran like heck to Loyston Point.
I'm sure the amenities were grand, if you could see them for all the people. The campground, no joke, consisted of campers/tents with mere feet of separation between them. NO privacy, not much in the way of green and leafy except for the trees bordering the backside of the campsites- it honestly looked like a sardine can of a trailer park. Very congested and for the woman who yelled at us for daring to bring a DIESEL into the campground (how she heard it over the noise of all the campers there, I'll never know!) - pretty rude as well.
It looks really nice online (the description of the campground) but it was sort of like expecting being off the path in the Smokies and the reality was Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville