U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 09:43 AM

11 posts, read 48,435 times

Advertisements

We are visiting Pigeon Forge, TN at the end of Feb in hopes of seeing snow and going snow tubing. I have heard that Ober Ski Resort in Gatlinburg is the only place that has snow tubing but the reviews I have read have been horrible, long waits for tram, sold out sessions once you finally get to the top.

If you have been there or know the resort can you give me advice on the best times and ways to get a family group of 12 to have a great, stress free day of tubing?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 02:09 PM

103 posts, read 413,044 times
Hi- We were just in TN and at Ober Gatlinburg the first week of January- when it was oh-so -cold...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. First off I have to say that I thought the area was just as beautiful in the frigid winter as in the summer and fall months. We went to "Ober" to check it out for tubing. My kids had never seen snow and it happened to be snowing off and on the whole time we were there. This was the weekend after new Years and was extrmely busy tho. If memory serves me, I believe it cost $25.00 a person to tube for 1 1/2 hours- which would have enabled you about 5 runs down the tube area. So we skipped it and our kids ice skated instead. It was a bit too cold to stand in line for tickets >to stand in line again to ride. Our kids did enjoy the tram ride up to the top tho. I think that was about $10 a person. The snow covered mountains were just beautiful! We are skiers, but have never skied there, so I can't offer opinions about that.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM

2,049 posts, read 6,344,878 times
You can drive up to Ober, you don't have to take the tram. Tickets for tubing during the week MIGHT be $20, but on the weekends it is definitely $25. And yes as far as I know that's the only place to go tubing or skiing in the Smokies.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:35 PM

11 posts, read 48,435 times
Would you say a car without 4x4 could handle the drive up to Ober or is it best to take the tram?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM

851 posts, read 2,321,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforsnow View Post
Would you say a car without 4x4 could handle the drive up to Ober or is it best to take the tram?
But that's part of the fun. You can see all the houses perched on the side of the mountains. And they tell you all the stories.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:56 AM

2,049 posts, read 6,344,878 times
you can do it without 4 wheel drive. It's paved and 2 lanes, but no painted lines. I assume there's no ice or snow on the road, but you should call Ober or the city to be sure. There is a restaurant or two on the way up.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:16 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,603,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforsnow View Post
We are visiting Pigeon Forge, TN at the end of Feb in hopes of seeing snow and going snow tubing. I have heard that Ober Ski Resort in Gatlinburg is the only place that has snow tubing but the reviews I have read have been horrible, long waits for tram, sold out sessions once you finally get to the top.

If you have been there or know the resort can you give me advice on the best times and ways to get a family group of 12 to have a great, stress free day of tubing?

Thank you!

Depending on the weather, the slopes may be closed by then. Spring begins early in the valley, and Ober Gatlinburg is not extremely high in elevation. You may have to go to Hawks Nest or Ski Beech in North Carolina, which are much higher in elevation.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 AM

Here's a link or the web address to Ober Gatlinburg slope info.
They have group rates. It looks like thru the end of Feb the temps should be 20's low & 50's high. Or that's what it says on their calendar, anyway. And like I said before we did go the last week in february, last year. Here's a picture from our trip.
Hope this helps.

www.obergatlinburg.com/snowrpt.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort Advice Needed?-christmas-2008-ober-gatlinburg-02.2009-074.jpg  

Old 02-02-2010, 06:16 AM

Well the Groundhog has seen his shadow...so that means 6 more weeks of winter. So you should be good to go. Have fun. Drive safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>