Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:08 PM

73 posts, read 233,832 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone that moved to the area is in a similar situation to me. I was offered a position for 20K less than I currently make, but the cost of living calculators estimate the cost of living at about 10-12k less than where I currently reside now (Carmel, IN). Has anyone taken a pay cut like this and moved, only to regret it? Does Knoxville just pay less in general because they know they can have their pick of candidates? Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 01:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Yes, you will almost always take a pay cut moving here, and yes, they have a pick of candidates due to it being a college town, and now the influx of people moving into the area.

I've seen this concern time and time again on here.

Hoosier07 is moving from Michigan, I believe, is an engineer and has been in loooong negotiations with his prospective company.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:28 PM

340 posts, read 1,189,002 times
For my husband and I, it was a mixed bag.

I didn't have to take a pay cut, and am blessed to have found a wonderful paying job with a great corporation.

My husband had to take about a 20% pay cut himself, but his pay has increased over the last 1.5 years to almost where it was.

The cost of living here is less than where we used to live, so we were able to bridge that difference.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:12 PM

197 posts, read 1,065,423 times
Wow, I'm in Greenwood, IN --- South side of Indianapolis. The cost of living according to my analysis is basically the same.....house is the same price, probably a bit lower since you're in Carmel.

I don't think the cost of living will be less than 5% lower than Indianapolis area. Take a trip there if you have not and you will see.

Good luck. I'm negotiating for the past 6 weeks.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I thought you would be along to answer her question!

And I thought you were in Indiana, being a hoosier and all!

Old 05-31-2007, 05:41 PM

197 posts, read 1,065,423 times
Yeah right ! You thought I was a michiganian ! Well, I lived in the Detroit area for two years, does it count ? he..he..he...

BTW, they offer I got was a $10K pay cut from my current salary. I realize I could not accept it since my wife stays at home taking care of our 3 Year old and we want to have a 2nd child next year....she plans to get back into a work outside home when the kids are in the school age. Meanwhile, I have to help with most of the "dough" he..he..he....

Surprisingly the company asked to continue discussions, we exchanged e-mails again last week and key person returns from a 2 week vacation next week. Let's see.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:32 PM

6 posts, read 35,598 times
I accepted a 21K pay cut to move to Knoxville. I do not regret it. My intention for moving here was to provide a better place for my family and young son to live in (as opposed to Orlando). I have no regrets. Cost of living is lower (although outside of housing not too much lower).

Old 06-05-2007, 09:25 AM

109 posts, read 359,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
Just wondering if anyone that moved to the area is in a similar situation to me. I was offered a position for 20K less than I currently make, but the cost of living calculators estimate the cost of living at about 10-12k less than where I currently reside now (Carmel, IN). Has anyone taken a pay cut like this and moved, only to regret it? Does Knoxville just pay less in general because they know they can have their pick of candidates? Any help would be appreciated!

I have noticed that it really depends on the industry you are looking for. I have been researching jobs in the business area that require at least a Bachelors degree, and the pay is very close to what they pay here in Miami. Some are even higher. I found this site to be kind of cool, check it out!
KnoxJobs.tv - a brand new way to look for jobs

Old 06-05-2007, 04:44 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
BTW, they offer I got was a $10K pay cut from my current salary. I realize I could not accept it since my wife stays at home taking care of our 3 Year old and we want to have a 2nd child next year....she plans to get back into a work outside home when the kids are in the school age. Meanwhile, I have to help with most of the "dough" he..he..he....

hmmm.. well when you put it that way, then you're talking about a 5 year period where you'll have a single income. Now if you were with a wife who was going to be miss permanent housewife, and never returning to work, then that would be different. So worse case scenario is that you all might have a few 'lean' years but as soon as your wife starts working, you would be in perhaps decent shape? 10k doesn't sound like an amount that would make a gigantic difference.But you might have to buckle down a tad. If you got what you think the house would sell for now, would you basically be able to buy with no mortgage in TN? You mentioned the prices were about the same.

Perhaps you could move to TN and live in a small starter home and put the rest of the money into a CD or savings account. Then when your wife starts working, you could sell what you bought and move up. No guarantees, but I bet the first house would at least sell for what you paid for it, and likely more. Besides, small children don't know the differences anyhow.

Those are just some mild brain farts. Not professional advice.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 10,571 times
My wife and I had to take a pay cut when we moved here from South Carolina. My wife is a registered nurse and we thought that she would make more here, but we were wrong.My pay cut was not as bad as her's was. The cost of living is just about the same. We stayed in a very good neighborhood and possibily moved into one even better very quiet and very great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville