Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:36 AM

43 posts, read 100,383 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong about Kroger.Sorry
I am watching the Wild Turkeys fly down from the trees to feed on the ground. We got our own turkey creek without the traffic.LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,529 times
Default Seymour property location opinions please

I found property for sale in Seymour on the web. Was wondering if anyone is familar with the area & could tell me if it's nice or not. Address: 338 S. Rogers Rd. 37865. Thanks in advance for anyones help. I don't know much about Seymour, I have been doing research in other areas, particularly Dandridge.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufford View Post
I found property for sale in Seymour on the web. Was wondering if anyone is familar with the area & could tell me if it's nice or not. Address: 338 S. Rogers Rd. 37865. Thanks in advance for anyones help. I don't know much about Seymour, I have been doing research in other areas, particularly Dandridge.
Well, it is certainly a nice area. It's out in the country. But you'll probably want to know where you are going to work before looking for property. Or are you working out of your home? Is this a private sale? That address has been up for sale before.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Well, it is certainly a nice area. It's out in the country. But you'll probably want to know where you are going to work before looking for property. Or are you working out of your home? Is this a private sale? That address has been up for sale before.
Apprx. how far would you say that is from Knoxville? I guess I would need to do some research on ther property. It's through a realtor. I'll be retired by the time we move & my husband is a forklift driver. So we would not want to be too far from Manufacturing type work.
Thanks for your help.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufford View Post
Apprx. how far would you say that is from Knoxville? I guess I would need to do some research on ther property. It's through a realtor. I'll be retired by the time we move & my husband is a forklift driver. So we would not want to be too far from Manufacturing type work.
Thanks for your help.
It's just over 20 minutes to downtown Knoxville, which is great. But he could find a job in Clinton, for all we know. Just something to consider. It is pretty central, though, in general.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,580 times
Smile Questions about Seymour,TN

I am considering a job transfer to Maryville,TN.I'm interested in hearing about Seymour,TN.My Wife and I have 3 children;11,10 &4 yo's.The oldest is entering grade 5 and plays travel soccer as well.I know that he'd like to find a new team in that area.The older 2 are in gifted/advanced programs academically and we'd like to know about the schools in Seymour,Maryville,etc.My Wife is an RN and would be seeking at least pt employment.Currently living in Evans,GA, originally from NY(me) and Toronto(wife).Both hate the GA summers,love the country however, and miss the season changes of the north.GA goes from hot & humid to cool and back to hot & humid with no change of colors season to season..We've vacationed in Pigeon Forge and Knoxville several times and love the area from what little we've seen of it.An absolutely beautiful area from what we've seen.
So ,we'll take any info- schools,middle & primary,sports for boys & girls,home costs(looking 225k-300k tops),taxes,weather,family activities, also location of Catholic churches in the area.We are active in that area .
Thank you!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM

I'm a transplant, too and we love it. Seymour is a nice little area. Not really a town, more of a place to pass through with a few stores that will get you what you need, but it's in a fabulous location, situated near the Smokies and Knoxville.

Clients tell me that the schools are good.

Your price range will get you a great house and then some. Taxes are very, very low. Our sales tax is high but we are 44th in the nation for tax burden, so in the long run you will come out ahead.

Weather is not going to be a whole lot different than Georgia, but you will at least get the change of seasons, fall foliage and the occasional dusting of snow. I've lived up north and in Florida, so it is perfect for me. It will be a bit cooler, with the dewpoint not as high.

We have a LOT of hospitals in the area, more per capita than usual. My personal experience has been that they are excellent.

This information will help you, regarding the Roman Catholic churches in the area: The Diocese of Knoxville

Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 PM

187 posts, read 460,153 times
Seymour is a nice lil area...Not really a city or a town...It has some shops and resturants,But its mostly a pass thru town that gets you from Knox to Sevierville...It can be quite a shortcut if you know all the backroads thru there...Its still mostly rural and country...It has built up some over the pass few years,But at a very slow pace...The schools is Seymour are ok...Nothing real great nor real bad about em...The schools in Maryville would be really hard to beat tho...Maryville and Alcoa High are both good schools...Stay away from William Blount tho...Its more of a lower end country school and if you don't like the Rebel flag,Then you won't like WB...Thats just saying it nicely...Maryville is called the rebels,But its far from anything like WB is...Maryville High is a top 1200 school in the nation with a football team that just can't be beat...Well i think they have lost like 2 games in 5 years...Far as churches goes..I also think you would be able to find a better selection of churches in the Maryville area since Maryville and Alcoa both are somewhat bigger than the Seymour area...225k to 300k will get you pretty much any kind of house you want in either area...If better schools are a must for you,Then it'd be hard to beat Maryville

Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Maryville sounds like it would be a good fit, and you won't be able to get a better commute. Finding work as an RN would be easier from there as well between local options and a Knoxville commute of 30 minutes (or less).

While Maryville is called a city it has the feel and look of a large town. You will find standard shopping opportunities, nearly every chain restaurant and suburban sprawl. Downtown is gradually being revitalized and updated and promises to be quite charming. The Blount County library is an excellent library and is part of the revitalized area.

Homes within the "city" rather than in the county will run a little bit more as will your taxes, but its schools are well regarded and have good sports programs. Maryville has a good mix of people from other places which make it easier for the kids to feel like they fit in. All of the 'natives' of the town have been equally welcoming to us since we moved here several years back. Maryville is the Blount county seat but many Maryville addresses are in the county. If you can find homes within the Heritage HS portion of the county you will find slightly more affordable homes and taxes that are about half the cost, but still be within a decent school district.

Since I don't know very much about you, your likes or dislikes, I can't say if Seymour would be a place you would like, but I can say it is much less like NY or Toronto than Maryville is and is less likely to have the all programs you seek for the kids because it is smaller. I'm hoping a Seymour resident can pop in to give you a better perspective.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguy83 View Post
...Maryville High is a top 1200 school in the nation...
Tops for what? On what list?

I've never heard that it was a bad school. Not at all. But I've never seen it on any list, either. Knoxville's West and Farragut, along with Oak Ridge High are consistently on Newsweek's Top 1200 High Schools, but not Maryville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville