Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM

43 posts, read 161,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Line View Post
We lived in Seymour for 14 years (lived in three different developments) but moved to North Carolina 20 years ago. However, we still have many close and dear friends in Seymour and have visited there on a regular basis for years. We loved Seymour and still do, however, there are definite pros and cons to the area. It is a beautiful place that is convenient to Knoxville as well as to Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Yes, traffic can be heavy on Chapman Highway during the busy tourist months and Chapman can be dangerous due to the traffic, multi-lanes, speed and the unlimited access from all the side streets and businesses. There has been so much growth in Seymour with a lot more shopping, fast-food (even Starbucks recently!), etc. That said, however, be aware that to do any serious shopping at a mall or nicer stores, go to a movie or a really nice restaurant then you're still going to be driving for close to a half an hour to West Knoxville or other areas that offer those amenities. You aren't going to find them in Seymour or South Knoxville. On the plus side, property taxes are still very, very low but sales tax is high. Also, there certainly are many new developments with upscale homes to choose from as well as more modestly priced ones. Keep in mind though that zoning is pretty much non-existant--you can see beautiful, expensive neighborhoods right next door to a shack or a double-wide. Also, the big problem that they have never remedied is that there is no public sewage system so all the homes are on septic tanks and the soil in that area is not good for perking--lots of shale. We've been away so many years that I don't know the ratings of the schools now--the primary school and middle school used to be good but the high school was not so great--hopefully that has improved. Also, because Seymour is unincorporated they tend to be the "red-headed stepchild" for Sevier County with Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg getting more attention, tax dollars, etc. It is ironic because Seymour has a bigger population and should have some political clout but didn't seem to be able to use it effectively. Honestly, if we were to move back to the Knoxville area now, I doubt I would buy in Seymour again because I'm just too used to being closer to more amenities now. Seymour can meet the basic needs but that's about it. However, the people are wonderful--friendly and welcoming and you can't beat the beauty of East Tennessee!
Thanks for all that info, very informative. I have been leaning towards Seymour area for retirement, albeit I have never visited, going on info from this forum. I will be visiting this coming fall to check it out for myself. One thing you said caught my attention; all homes are on septic systems, can that still be true? How about water, is there city water or are there wells? I have heard nothing but good about Seymour and can not wait to see it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 11:39 AM

28 posts, read 88,968 times
Default Follow-up to my earlier post

Regarding utilities services, yes, there is county water so most developments are on that and not on wells. However, as far as I know, there still is not county sewer service but someone who lives there now should answer that definitively. The major stumbling block was, of course, the cost--however, we always heard that grant money would have been available to help fund a sewer system but it was only available to incorporated areas and Seymour was not. Incorporation (like zoning) was pretty much a dirty word around there because people did not want their taxes to increase. In our first neighborhood, after seven years we had to spend hundreds of dollars to repair a faulty drain field and add another one because what we had was inadequate. Later on we built a house in a then-new and exclusive development and we were required to pay extra for a double-size alternating drain field (has a control enables one side to "rest" for several months while you use the other half) because the developer had gotten special permission from the State of Tennessee to develop "bad land" which means the land would not perk. Believe me, once we moved away we made it a point to NEVER buy a house again that had a septic tank! Of course, lots of people live there for years and as long as they maintain their spetic tanks, they don't have a problem. I don't mean to sound negative because Seymour is a wonderful community and we enjoyed living there. I think it would be a nice place for retirement--there are so many things to see and do in the surrounding area, the climate is nice and the cost of living is very affordable and no state income tax is very nice--we miss that!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Line View Post
Regarding utilities services, yes, there is county water so most developments are on that and not on wells. However, as far as I know, there still is not county sewer service but someone who lives there now should answer that definitively. The major stumbling block was, of course, the cost--however, we always heard that grant money would have been available to help fund a sewer system but it was only available to incorporated areas and Seymour was not. Incorporation (like zoning) was pretty much a dirty word around there because people did not want their taxes to increase. In our first neighborhood, after seven years we had to spend hundreds of dollars to repair a faulty drain field and add another one because what we had was inadequate. Later on we built a house in a then-new and exclusive development and we were required to pay extra for a double-size alternating drain field (has a control enables one side to "rest" for several months while you use the other half) because the developer had gotten special permission from the State of Tennessee to develop "bad land" which means the land would not perk. Believe me, once we moved away we made it a point to NEVER buy a house again that had a septic tank! Of course, lots of people live there for years and as long as they maintain their spetic tanks, they don't have a problem. I don't mean to sound negative because Seymour is a wonderful community and we enjoyed living there. I think it would be a nice place for retirement--there are so many things to see and do in the surrounding area, the climate is nice and the cost of living is very affordable and no state income tax is very nice--we miss that!
I currently use a septic system so they are nothing new to me. I also experienced problems with our septic system shortly after moving in 21 years ago. Fixed it and have not had a problem since (keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on wood right now). If maintained they will last almost forever. As for taxes, I live in an area with high taxes, property as well, so I am looking for a place where that is not the case.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:10 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres View Post
I currently use a septic system so they are nothing new to me. I also experienced problems with our septic system shortly after moving in 21 years ago. Fixed it and have not had a problem since (keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on wood right now). If maintained they will last almost forever. As for taxes, I live in an area with high taxes, property as well, so I am looking for a place where that is not the case.
I agree. If properly maintained and drained, a septic tank should last a long, long time. I think Seymour is a wonderful place, and I wouldn't let something like the lack of a public sewerage system keep me from living there. The low property taxes are definitely something to consider. I believe the Sevier County side of Seymour would have the lowest property taxes.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 AM

127 posts, read 433,252 times
Thanks, yea the septic system wouldn't keep me from moving there. What part is the sevier side? I don't know the area as you can tell I'm trying to find out as much about it as I can. I can't wait to make a trip out there to see everything in person. All of you Tennessians seem very nice, I know I'm gonna love livin there.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:23 PM

23 posts, read 70,648 times
I grew up in west Knoxville, and have lived in Seymour since 1987. Sewer has been run up Hwy 338/Boyd's Creek Rd, which runs from Hwy 441/Chapman Hwy to Hwy 66 going into Sevierville. Nice subdivisions now on Boyd's Creek.

There is a huge shopping center being built at Exit 407 [about 20 min away] by the same developers who built west Knoxville's Turkey Creek. This same group is developing another shopping center at the intersection of 441 and 168/John Sevier Hwy which is within a mile of the new WalMart supercenter. It appears we have been 'demographicked' <g>.

Right off I-40 exit 407 is also the TN Smokies ball park where great family entertainment is offered all summer long. We love to go there. It is about 20 min from our home.

I live off Boyd's Creek Rd, and this is a great area. My son attended Seymour High and is now getting his Master's degree at USF in Tampa. The education and the safety is good at the school. At a PTA meeting years ago a woman from FLA stood up and said, "You people have no idea how lucky you are~!" I agree.

I have horses, and it is still possible to ride for miles from where I live. I love it here, and hope you will, too. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 PM

52 posts, read 200,577 times
We purchased a home in the Seymour area last Novemeber just off of Boyd's Creek Rd. in a subdivision with city water and sewer. We bought it as a second home We currently live in MN and plan to move to TN in 2 -3 years. In the meantime we plan to rent out the home so if you know of some good tenant propects, sent them our way.

We love the location because it is centrally located between Sevierville and Knoxville. A another plus is that we can avoid the traffic conjestion on HWY 66 by taking the lesser traveled roads to Sevierville and Pigeon Forge. We also like the more "tempered" TN winters coming from MN! The property taxes in Sevier County are about 1/3 of what they are in MN. Also we pay state income tax in MN and sales tax on some things so we have no problem paying the sales tax in Sevier County in lieu of paying state income taxes.

We feel that we have definately found God's country in East TN as we have found the people to be so accomodating and caring and we enjoy the slower pace and the beauty that nature offers. Several of our baby boomer friends are also considering moving to East TN to enjoy the better (and more affordable) quality of living.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:45 AM

I have been on Google Earth looking at new subdivisions all over the Seymour area, one in particular has caught my eye so I have been trying to find the name of it if there is one. Either of you know the name of the new subdivision on North Pitner Road off of Boyd's Creek? Is this one that has county water and sewer? Looks very nice, do you know if it is full, Google Earth although updated this year is still kind of old images.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:09 AM

23 posts, read 70,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres View Post
I have been on Google Earth looking at new subdivisions all over the Seymour area, one in particular has caught my eye so I have been trying to find the name of it if there is one. Either of you know the name of the new subdivision on North Pitner Road off of Boyd's Creek? Is this one that has county water and sewer? Looks very nice, do you know if it is full, Google Earth although updated this year is still kind of old images.
That is probably High Meadow. I do not know if it is full. Look at Majestic Meadows just east of Temple Rd on down Boyd's Creek Rd. It has plenty of lots left and very nice homes. East of it there is one with sidewalks and a pool for homeowners.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM

127 posts, read 433,252 times
Thanks everybody for all the info. I'm really liking what I see about Seymour, it sounds exactly like the place I want to live in. tnlover I am going to be needing a rental house in June so I might be contacting you. Do any of you have pictures..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville