Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 05:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That sounds great!!! I think I'll head up there when I have a free day. I'd definitely prefer your route rather than taking the interstate. I'd rather drive on a gravel mountain road than hear the annoying whirr of semi trucks flying at 75mph down the interstate.
I have done this route also and true, it is very scenic and interesting, however, be sure you have a vehicle that sits up high. I did it in an old Jeep Grand Wagoner and thought I wasn't going to make it over/through some of those ruts. You also need to plan a lot of extra time, or go just for the drive and not a destination point with a time to get there. Fun drive though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedmont View Post
It's fine if it's not winter. A basic front wheel drive car can do it no problem (gravel road is well maintained). But you do climb 2500+ feet rather quickly! This is a great trip for cooling out during hot summer days.

From word of mouth, there is STILL snow up there (4500 ft?) as of last weekend.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:56 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,536 times
I should hope there is still snow up there! It is high enough and we've had a lot this year.

The road does get graded (spring/summer) and it is very doable to travel in a regular car once the weather is good. I've done a few times in a Honda. During winter/mud season, 4wd and clearance are essential. This is a nice trip for high summer and early fall.

My travel time to Max Patch via this route from southern Roane is about 2-2 1/2 hours, so it's pretty close from Knoxville proper. The last 25 miles take the most time!

Old 03-21-2010, 04:57 PM

424 posts, read 1,293,249 times
Yeah, there is a music festival happening out that way in the summer I believe. Actually Hotsprings I think. Something like the French Broad River Music Fest or soemthing.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessyj2009 View Post
As most of you know hubby and I relocated to Seymour last month.

I love to take scenic pictures... old buildings, wildlife, nature and things of that sort.

Today hubby and I took the drive down to Seiverville for the first time. Though we didn't really explore because I was afraid to get lost. We did see the old downtown area and the beautiful old courthouse.

Also came across a bridge that was built in 1875? but I was too nervous to go across as it was one lane and VERY narrow.

Anyway can anyone give me some scenic areas and or drives within an hours distance of Knoxville/Seymour? I'd like to go take some pictures for family in arizona.

Thanks!
Take I-75 North. Get off at Exit 128 Lake City. At the end of the Exit Ramp make a left onto US 441. Do not drive fast. There are deer in the area and the road is curvy. The road will meander past Norris Dam State Park (west entrance) on your left and the high dam overlook entrance on your right (stop here). Make a right coming out of the overlook to continue on 441 heading down toward the dam. There will be a marina on your left right before Norris Dam. You will drive over Norris Dam. Immediately after driving over the dam, to your left is the East Entrance to Norris Dam State Park and to your right is a visitor's center and restrooms and a pretty park with picnic tables. To the left, and in front of the East entrance to Norris Dam State Park is the mid level dam overlook. Make a right out of the visitor's center parking lot to keep going in the same direction away from Norris Dam. Your very next sharp right turn will be a pretty road that ends at the powerstation and the base of Norris Dam. The cutoff parking lot before the base of the Dam parking lot leads to a popular walking trail. To leave the powerstation area simply follow the road the way you came in (you have no other choice) and make a right back onto 441. As you continue to drive south on 441, you will pass a road to the grist mill and threshing barn on the left, immediately before the Lenoir Museum also on the left. On the right, just past the Lenoir Museum you will see the Weir Dam (a low dam) parking lot. Pull in and walk down to the water. Coming out of the Weir Dam parking lot, make a right to get back on 441. Travel on 441 until you see a big yellow sign on your right for the Museum of Appalachia. Make that right. When the road ends at the intersection, make a right. If you want to go to the Museum of Appalachia (there is a fee), make a right and follow the farm-like road in. If not, keep going until you see the sign for I-75 South - Knoxville - to get back home. I think the entrance ramp is on the left after you go over the overpass. What you will have done is driven a loop, got off one exit of I-75 (Lake City) and gotten back on I-75 in Clinton, an exit closer to home.

There are signs for everything mentioned.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
This is one of the first drives I took when I moved to the area.

I urge you stop at the Lenoir Museum. It is free but tiny. However, it is worth your time to take a look around the museum and the area.

I love the Museum of Appalachia. It is, in my opinion, well worth the price of admission.

One man, John Rice Irwin, had a great love for the area people, his people, and piece by piece, brought back memoriabilia that tells the stories of their lives. It is not a huge place but you could stand for hours looking and reading. It gave me an enormous appreciation for the people around here, their ancestors and the land.

In fact the gristmill, near the Lenoir Museum, is the Rice Gristmill built by one of Mr. Rice-Irwin's ancestors.

The food in their little cafe is very good, too.

Museum of Appalachia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to the Museum of Appalachia

Norris Dam State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Take I-75 North. Get off at Exit 128 Lake City. At the end of the Exit Ramp make a left onto US 441. Do not drive fast. There are deer in the area and the road is curvy. The road will meander past Norris Dam State Park (west entrance) on your left and the high dam overlook entrance on your right (stop here). Make a right coming out of the overlook to continue on 441 heading down toward the dam. There will be a marina on your left right before Norris Dam. You will drive over Norris Dam. Immediately after driving over the dam, to your left is the East Entrance to Norris Dam State Park and to your right is a visitor's center and restrooms and a pretty park with picnic tables. To the left, and in front of the East entrance to Norris Dam State Park is the mid level dam overlook. Make a right out of the visitor's center parking lot to keep going in the same direction away from Norris Dam. Your very next sharp right turn will be a pretty road that ends at the powerstation and the base of Norris Dam. The cutoff parking lot before the base of the Dam parking lot leads to a popular walking trail. To leave the powerstation area simply follow the road the way you came in (you have no other choice) and make a right back onto 441. As you continue to drive south on 441, you will pass a road to the grist mill and threshing barn on the left, immediately before the Lenoir Museum also on the left. On the right, just past the Lenoir Museum you will see the Weir Dam (a low dam) parking lot. Pull in and walk down to the water. Coming out of the Weir Dam parking lot, make a right to get back on 441. Travel on 441 until you see a big yellow sign on your right for the Museum of Appalachia. Make that right. When the road ends at the intersection, make a right. If you want to go to the Museum of Appalachia (there is a fee), make a right and follow the farm-like road in. If not, keep going until you see the sign for I-75 South - Knoxville - to get back home. I think the entrance ramp is on the left after you go over the overpass. What you will have done is driven a loop, got off one exit of I-75 (Lake City) and gotten back on I-75 in Clinton, an exit closer to home.

There are signs for everything mentioned.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:36 PM

424 posts, read 1,293,249 times
Great posts! Some of the best I have seen on here in a long time bravo to Hik and to Laura C!

I plan on checking these spots out myself on my next warm day off, strangely that will be Thursday (snowy and cold today...)

Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
Great posts! Some of the best I have seen on here in a long time bravo to Hik and to Laura C!

I plan on checking these spots out myself on my next warm day off, strangely that will be Thursday (snowy and cold today...)
Should be fine 66 with scattered showers. And where did today come from? I've had it with this winter. We're usually in full spring mode by now.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:54 PM

257 posts, read 489,298 times
Default Explorer's Guide

I recommend that anyone who wants to explore the area look to buy a copy of "The Blue Ridge & Smoky Mountain Explorer's Guide" by Jim Hargan. My wife and I have enjoyed looking through the book and it offers great suggestions for road trips, hiking, and historical and popular spots. We got our copy from Amazon for a very reasonable price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville