U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 9,694,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1961 View Post
Hopefully, armywife85 will chime in for her native's perspective about Luttrell.
Here's what she had to say about people considering relocating to Luttrell:

"After reading a lot of posts on Maynardville you can tell none were done by true natives. Being born and raised in Maynardville and Luttrell all my life I feel the need to tell you like it is here. I may get flagged or cursed at but I really don't care. (see I have the Union County attitude) I'd prefer you to read, roll your eyes and then leave.
Yes, we're really nice it's called southern hospitality but no we don't like outsiders moving in. We like our simple way of life and don't want a lot of people looking for a great real estate investment screwing up what we worked so hard for. Yeah, the majority of us are not rich and we're perfectly fine that way. We like being near bigger cities and we like being away from them. We know each other. We do not like change. We really don't want you moving here.
Moderator cut: racisit remarks are not allowed on these forums. I miss back when the rest of the world hadn't touched the U.C. When all you had to worry about was the wild live coming out of the mountains. Yes, we have bears, panthers, cougars and the like but they're not really hostile.
If you ever thought about Luttrellm let that thought go. If you have been able to move to U.C and had success in finding a life and friends and everyone is great don't think for a second they really want you there. They would love to see you go as much as I and everyone else I know would. Remember I know everyone else, I'm from here.
I've said my peace so let the bashing begin."

The kind of attitude you see described in this post is a common one in many really rural areas all over the country. I currently live in Michigan and there are lots of places like this here too, "if you wernt born here then you dont belong here", unfortunately its just too common. My advice to anyone wanting to move somewhere rural is to not let those people intimidate them. No one can tell you where to live and where not to, and as long as your willing to ignore those types of people then you will meet others who are not like that. In many cases its just a few loudmouths in a town like that who give the place a feeling of unwelcomness. If you dont go into the new area with a sense of superiority or just acting like an idiot you will do ok as long as you dont let those few unfriendly types bother you. When they realize its not going to get you to move away they will give up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville