Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 866 times

Advertisements

Wanting to know where a good place 2 live is ?
looking for good restaurants,shopping nearby,good schools,parks,culture etc....
Average middle class neighborhood or in the country.
Where to stay away from????
Is there alot of crime ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,874 times
Based on "good restaurants, shopping nearby, good schools...in the country" criteria, sounds like homes in the Hardin Valley Academy school zone would be a good place to start looking. It's very convenient to West Knoxville and Farragut shoppertainment without the residential density of those areas.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
There's a ton of information on this forum that will probably answer all of your questions but where are you going to be working? That's probably going to be a great starting point.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:36 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
There have been dozens of threads on this forum discussing these very topics, some over and over and over again.
I suggest you search the older threads and start reading away.

A lot of what you are asking is subjective (as you will see in the threads). Many people think that West Knox is the only place to live, and others can't stand the area. Same for Turkey Creek. Some love the area, others avoid it like crazy. You will hear praises for South Knox, North, Maryville, Oak Ridge, well the list goes on and on.

A lot depends on what YOUR wants are. If you want an older historic type home, you will not find them in West Knox. If you want brand new huge homes, you won't find them in Fountain City. If you are looking for homes with larger lots, you may have to go out a little.

Like Hik said, a lot depends on where you are going to work, how much you want to spend, what you want to be close to, etc. Crime is not really an issue here. While there is crime in Knoxville, it is pretty low. Thats not to say there are not "bad" areas.

I suggest you spend some time reading the old threads, then plan on a visit and spend some time driving around the area checking it all out.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 13,237 times
Just some advice. Make sure you are not in the Hallsdale-Powell Utilities District where ever you decide on. Unless, you like to pay over a hundred a month on water/sewage. I was in shock when I got my first bill after moving here. I was used to paying maybe 30-40 a month for water/sewage/trash pick-up. I havent had a bill under 100 a month. That is just with showers, running a dish washer and flushing the toilet. We rent a house in Halls. The area is nice but the bill is RIDICULOUS!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg79 View Post
Just some advice. Make sure you are not in the Hallsdale-Powell Utilities District where ever you decide on. Unless, you like to pay over a hundred a month on water/sewage. I was in shock when I got my first bill after moving here. I was used to paying maybe 30-40 a month for water/sewage/trash pick-up. I havent had a bill under 100 a month. That is just with showers, running a dish washer and flushing the toilet. We rent a house in Halls. The area is nice but the bill is RIDICULOUS!
So true! I use to rent in that district and the bills are CRAZY. They also required a $45 fee if I wanted the water turned on right away when I first moved there. Talk about criminals.

I had to laugh. I went to a bridal shower the other day and drove by their building. Wow, they built a GORGEOUS building and I'm sure their ridiculous rates had a hand in it. Now I have KUB and I live in Fountain City. That is one town over yet the bills are at least half or more.

But that is one of the many reasons that I do not like Halls.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:08 PM

8 posts, read 13,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
So true! I use to rent in that district and the bills are CRAZY. They also required a $45 fee if I wanted the water turned on right away when I first moved there. Talk about criminals.

I had to laugh. I went to a bridal shower the other day and drove by their building. Wow, they built a GORGEOUS building and I'm sure their ridiculous rates had a hand in it. Now I have KUB and I live in Fountain City. That is one town over yet the bills are at least half or more.

But that is one of the many reasons that I do not like Halls.
Criminal is right. My bill had a 3.5% fee increase this month for who knows what reason. Needless to say, we will not be renewing our lease when the time comes.

I like Fountain City and my kids love the park. It isn't too far for my husband to get to work either.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 AM

191 posts, read 308,201 times
If you give us a bit more information about your needs we can at least suggest areas to start looking in. There's a fair amount that you can learn using online sites. And one call to a realtor can also help you find neighborhoods of interest.

Knox is large; there are all kinds of neighborhoods. Mention a neighborhood and we can at least tell you if we know of any problems. (For example, before we moved here whenever I mentioned a location to my daughter, she told me about the traffic flow - as in - 'you'll wait forever to make a left turn out of the neighborhood at 8 AM - it's good to know before you commit.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville