U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,886 times

Advertisements

Good morning to all!!! My family is relocating from Charleston, SC to the Knoxville/surrounding area. Not sure yet!
I just wanted to get some input about the type of community Luttrell is.
We have a son who will be going to UT so we are all relocating to that area. I would like the country life with the ease of driving to the city. But, I cannot find to much info about Luttrell. Is it a country community, is it safe for a family, are there things to do? How are the schools? I have a elementary and high school age kids. We are very outdoorsy...fishing, hunting??? Are there strong community ties, such as community activites, church functions, youth groups??
Is there small shops, Wal mart, shopping centers?
I know this may sound odd but, I need to know as much as I can. I come from a very small town and I love that type of living. We will be in town for a week, leaving Sunday March 28th to do some looking at the different towns in the area. Also searching for a rental home till we can buy. So any info on that too will be helpful.
Please...if any one can help with ANY information about the Luttrell area it will be grealty appreciated.

Thank you all!
The Johnsons
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 AM

6,119 posts, read 10,533,892 times
So you just picked Luttrell out of the blue or is there a job opportunity?

Is it common for parents to follow their kids to college these days? How do they ever learn independance?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 AM

1,754 posts, read 4,045,554 times
To answer your question, in a nice manner :0)

I'm glad you like very small towns, because that's exactly what Luttrell is! Very rural, any shopping other than the IGA is going to have to occur elsewhere. I'm not close enough to the area to comment with anything other than generalities, but I think, like most small towns in TN, you make your own "stuff to do". Definitely a country community, with families who have been there for years and years. I don't think there are many job opportunities there either.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:39 AM

22,583 posts, read 51,711,840 times
It gets rural 10 minutes out of downtown Knoxville, in most directions, so you don't have to move too far to feel like you are in the country. In fact, I'm in the city limits and I live on a well-wooded half-acre lot that could be in the middle of any small town.

Luttrell is about 30 to 40 minutes, or more, to UT. It's a nice, very small country community, but you'll have to come visit to see if it is for you. Your plans may expand once you see how many possibilities you have.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM

459 posts, read 1,211,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
So you just picked Luttrell out of the blue or is there a job opportunity?

Is it common for parents to follow their kids to college these days? How do they ever learn independance?
Exactly what I was thinking...

Old 03-26-2010, 04:30 PM

186 posts, read 456,651 times
Hopefully, armywife85 will chime in for her native's perspective about Luttrell.
Here's what she had to say about people considering relocating to Luttrell:

"After reading a lot of posts on Maynardville you can tell none were done by true natives. Being born and raised in Maynardville and Luttrell all my life I feel the need to tell you like it is here. I may get flagged or cursed at but I really don't care. (see I have the Union County attitude) I'd prefer you to read, roll your eyes and then leave.
Yes, we're really nice it's called southern hospitality but no we don't like outsiders moving in. We like our simple way of life and don't want a lot of people looking for a great real estate investment screwing up what we worked so hard for. Yeah, the majority of us are not rich and we're perfectly fine that way. We like being near bigger cities and we like being away from them. We know each other. We do not like change. We really don't want you moving here.
Moderator cut: racisit remarks are not allowed on these forums. I miss back when the rest of the world hadn't touched the U.C. When all you had to worry about was the wild live coming out of the mountains. Yes, we have bears, panthers, cougars and the like but they're not really hostile.
If you ever thought about Luttrellm let that thought go. If you have been able to move to U.C and had success in finding a life and friends and everyone is great don't think for a second they really want you there. They would love to see you go as much as I and everyone else I know would. Remember I know everyone else, I'm from here.
I've said my peace so let the bashing begin."

Old 03-27-2010, 10:21 AM

10 posts, read 13,589 times
Suffice it to say that Luttrell is rural, very rural!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 AM

377 posts, read 840,768 times
I understand locals disliking "outsiders" moving in and wanting to change TN.
But what if:
the newcomers are not developers and are not trying to change your community?
they are not rich and will not look down on you?
they just want a simple life in small town and they embrace your way of life?
Are they not going to be welcomed as well?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:08 AM

10 posts, read 13,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoLight View Post
I understand locals disliking "outsiders" moving in and wanting to change TN.
But what if:
the newcomers are not developers and are not trying to change your community?
they are not rich and will not look down on you?
they just want a simple life in small town and they embrace your way of life?
Are they not going to be welcomed as well?
Then I would say that once the locals perceive that, you would fit in nicely.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:39 AM

22,583 posts, read 51,711,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver94 View Post
Then I would say that once the locals perceive that, you would fit in nicely.
It's very true. I lived in a rural area and, at first, when I walked into the little community store heads would turn. I found it very unsettling.

Suffice it to say, they didn't get many new people in the store and gosh, they were just looking, probably thinking, hmmm, I wonder if that is Becky's long-lost cousin...Soon enough, they learned who we were and when our daughter was dressed up, had a new pair of shoes, a Halloween custome on, visiting the store was a must so that all could ooh and ah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville