Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times

Advertisements

I'll never remember the names of all these trees. Once spring is over and they're all green, I can't recognize them anymore. There are SO many pink flowering trees. The redbuds are most abundant, then the weeping cherry and the plums, I don't know what the others are. 2 of them grow very large.

You guys mentioned magnolias - is that the pink one that looks like tulips all over the tree? the most beautiful flowering tree? I took a pic with my cell phone, I don't know if it's a good one, I'll try to post it later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:28 AM

52 posts, read 171,363 times
Speaking of tulips, being my lovely transplant self I have no idea... will tulips grow here? They're my favorite flower and I'd like to plant some if they will.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:40 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I'll never remember the names of all these trees. Once spring is over and they're all green, I can't recognize them anymore. There are SO many pink flowering trees. The redbuds are most abundant, then the weeping cherry and the plums, I don't know what the others are. 2 of them grow very large.

You guys mentioned magnolias - is that the pink one that looks like tulips all over the tree? the most beautiful flowering tree? I took a pic with my cell phone, I don't know if it's a good one, I'll try to post it later.
This is a magnolia http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...n/Magnolia.jpg
and this is popular too, star magnolia http://www.deborahsilver.com/blog/wp...9/05/white.jpg

jessyj Iv'e seen a lot of beautiful tulips growing here but I don't know whether they need to be pre-chilled before planting in this area.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Tulips, you say? One fall we planted them and they came up the next spring. We didn't do anything special.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 PM

52 posts, read 171,363 times
They are beautiful. There is a nursery along chapman hwy between seymour and south knoxville (just on the seymour side).... does anyone know if they carry tulips? I'd prefer to transpant and not start from a bulb. Otherwise does Lowes have plants here? I know ours in arizona did.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:30 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
Thanks DubbleT! Yes yes that is it!!

Jessy I don't know - that place (shades of eden) is fairly new and he doesn't sell a lot. Lowe's might. However, your best bet is Stanley's in south Knox - they sell EVERYTHING. Go north on Chapman to the 2nd Burger King, make a right at that light (Lippencott), then make a right on Davenport. You can't miss it.

The Old Mill Cafe in Pigeon Forge has all the different kinds of tulips - spotted, striped, etc. - whenever they bloom.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM

Lowes and Homes Depot sell tons of plants, trees, you name it, around here. Like NJD said, lots of independent nurseries, too. I go to Mayo Garden Center, but that is in Knoxville.

By the way, I meant to put up a better pic than the one on top but you all get the idea. And those bulbs were from Lowes. I have a bad habit of going in there for something else and coming out with gardening-related products.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:09 PM

101 posts, read 325,392 times
Ok, I need to visit back more often after I post... Got the pears trees, going to be a lot of pears around here if that's true. City in China I lived in before I moved here planted Mango trees along the city streets, for shade for the pedestrians... City also harvested them and made big $$$ off the harvest.

I figured probably Crabapples, haven't seen too many Dogwoods yet. Are Lilac bushes popular here?

Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAgeHobo View Post
Ok, I need to visit back more often after I post... Got the pears trees, going to be a lot of pears around here if that's true. City in China I lived in before I moved here planted Mango trees along the city streets, for shade for the pedestrians... City also harvested them and made big $$$ off the harvest.

I figured probably Crabapples, haven't seen too many Dogwoods yet. Are Lilac bushes popular here?
First of all, you can forget the pears. These pear trees are in name only. No pears.

The dogwoods are just budding which is normal. We have a dogwood festival which is very, very cool.

Dogwood Arts Festival (http://www.dogwoodarts.com/home.html - broken link)

I was going to write about it, but scroll down the page and you will see a video that explains the festival and has some wonderful footage of our city. And check out the commemorative print, this year. It's of Market Square and is fabulous. I love it!

Not many lilac bushes. There are some, though.

Gosh, there are so many flowering trees and bushes right now that I am not complaining! It's a sea of breathtaking color.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:04 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
It's too hot for lilacs. I've seen some scraggly ones, but they don't thrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville