Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 07:59 AM

7 posts, read 18,537 times

Advertisements

We are new to Knoxville, TN and are looking to make a home purchase. Prior to Knoxville we lived on Amelia Island in Florida and before that, Peachtree City, GA. We loved PTC. Amelia Island was pretty, but seemed more for retired people. That city shut down very early. Not much to do and no where to go outside of the beach. (I did enjoy the shrimp festival though)

Currently we are renting at Greystone Summit in Hardin Valley. It seems like a nice up and coming area. We looked at homes in The Covered Bridge and The Glen at Hardin Valley. Very nice homes where the builders paid attention to detail. A little hesitant to spend that kind of $ in an area that isn't all that established with farms as neighbors.

Also interested in Farragut and the Northshore Drive area. Very pretty, and I love Turkey Creek! We hear Bearden is nice as well, but not quite sure where it is. LOL

New construction is a MUST! The ideal situation would be to find a spec home where we can still customize things like flooring. We would like to be under contract by the end of the month to be able to take advantage of the tax credit.

Any advice for us newbies is greatly appreciated! We can use all the help and advice we can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:22 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
If you follow Kingston Pike towards the city, just past the West Town mall you will come into Bearden. It is mostly older homes. There is an area there that has beautiful old-money mansions that sits on the TN River. That is Sequoyah. I love Bearden and that area. Northshore Drive starts in Bearden, goes through Rocky Hill and then into Concord and so on.

Anyway, it sounds like the areas that you are looking in are great! Truly, you can't go wrong.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,743 times
OP: Do you have any commuting needs?

Areas in Hardin Valley like Covered Bridge are quite convenient to Oak Ridge/ORNL (you can even go the back way to the west gate and skip a lot of traffic). Northshore area is a bit of a commute to Oak Ridge, sometimes even to downtown, depending on where you are.

Northshore is closer to more established businesses and possibly more convenient to Turkey Creek---again, it depends on where. Bearden is just west of Sequoyah Hills. Probably not as likely to find a new home there.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:02 AM

7 posts, read 18,537 times
There are no real requirements regarding the commute. As long as we have access to the various expressways we will be good!

Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needjah View Post
There are no real requirements regarding the commute. As long as we have access to the various expressways we will be good!
I think you are fine with that, too. As you know, being in Hardin Valley you have great access, but if you go to Farragut, Concord, Bluegrass, etc. you will still have good access because of I-140, too.

But I think that Hardin Valley is very up-and-coming. The new high school is all the rage, right now. I think the surrounding farmland is charming, although I don't know how long it will actually last.

And of course, Turkey Creek is fabulous and it is about 20 minutes to downtown Knoxville to catch a show, or what have you.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:40 PM

420 posts, read 1,534,743 times
I'd add that for this area, Hardin Valley is probably beyond up and coming. It is already considered a nice suburban area with good schools.

The farms will probably be mostly gone within a decade or so

Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,265 times
Hey Needjah, you actually have to be under contract by end of april and close in 2 months. Most builders are eager to still work and if you find one mostly complete, not hard to make changes as they are willing to do anything to make work. The upscale in Covered Bridge are nice, and I know personally most of the builders, and they will work to bring to your satisfaction.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:04 PM

5 posts, read 13,172 times
I would settle in Farragut. The schools are AWESOME despite they being old. Hardin Valley is nice but it is much farther away than Farragut from shopping centers and other businesses. Hardin Valley schools are new but the demographics aren't better than Farragut, because you still have lower income areas such as Karns which is partly zoned for Hardin Valley High School. Hardin Valley High School is very crowded now and it is over the capacity. Also Farragut is a much more established town with its own mayor and board, who carefully zone everything and you will find TONS of green spaces/parks everywhere. It is much more community oriented. As for Bearden, most houses are older and the schools are very good but slightly worse than Farragut.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT lover View Post
Hardin Valley High School is very crowded now and it is over the capacity.
Wrong, it is not over its capacity, although it might be soon, or more likely, it will level off. Any overcrowding would be alleviated by adjusting attendance zones. A new school in that area won't fly politically, anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville