Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 PM

188 posts, read 567,269 times

Advertisements

So..... what now?

The deal should be simple (I'll only accept a simple deal).

That is, "you give me the money and I give you my house".

I own the house outright.

Given the simplicity, do I really need an attorney? If so, any recommendations?

Are there any other professionals that could do the work of getting the correct papers together and just making sure the paperwork and closing is managed correctly?

Would a realtor do the trick (without expecting a commission...just a fee).?

BF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
I like E. Tennessee titile. They can handle it for you. No need to hire a realtor as there is no marketing involved.

So congratulations (I think). Where will you be going now?

Old 04-09-2010, 06:04 AM

Well, I'm going to be a renter for a bit and free myself from the chains of home ownership!

In the next year or two, I could be moving out of town. If not that, then I will be wanting a larger house than the one I have.

Either way, it involves selling this one.... and I just want to get this selling-a-house hassle over with!

I'm amazed that people sell their house and immediately jump into a new house in town. Often, they end up owning two houses at the same time.... a barely affordable situation for many people. They often get stressed out as they try to dump the old slow-to-sell house. If nothing else, it is a two-house maintenance chore.

Renting has some downsides, but I do like that release from home owning responsibility and the feeling that other options... whatever they may be.... are now far easier. It is a kind of liberation in that sense.

There is also something humorous about renting. It has a nostalgic feel... like a return to my younger days.

There are some downsides, though. I can't just go to the dog pound and big a big, friendly hound home with me. There is no garden. The garden that I planted in my current house is only just now becoming a "wow!" garden (as the former saplings are starting to look like something)...so I'm going to miss that wonderful transition.

If the house does not sell to this guy, no big deal. There is no urgency and there are plenty of reasons to remain here, too.

More than you wanted to know!

Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 AM

So, as I move along in the process willy nilly...

The guy is coming over with a couple forms that his bank wants to see. The bank needs to see that we have a sales agreement (not just word of mouth). He also needs evidence that he has it under contract within that April 30th window of time to get the government kick back thing.

So, am I *required* to do one of those "disclosure" forms? (where I state whether the house has any known flaws, etc.)

Old 04-10-2010, 01:59 PM

52 posts, read 171,444 times
I believe you are not required to do these kinds of disclosures if both parties agree. (Don't take my word for it though) At least this is how it is in other states. Though most people will want some sort of inspection in order to know what they are getting themselves into.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:28 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
I think you are required to do a disclosure if you have lived in the house.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
It might be a good idea to hire a real estate attorney to make sure you do not end up doing something unintentional but damaging, especially since this seems rush-rush. Some of the local title companies have attorneys on staff so that could be a viable alternative.

TN does have a disclosure form that is legally required: Chapter Bill Text for PUBC0727 I think that you can answer UNKNOWN to many of the questions if you truly don't know or are unsure and that may cover the gray areas.

Good luck with the sale and move, there are several homeowners around my neighborhood who would love to have your problem!

Old 04-11-2010, 03:30 PM

This guy doesn't want an inspect or any such thing. I am guessing that the lender (his bank) will be the one most interested in this stuff, though!

I just filled out the disclosure form (linked in that last post), signed it, and emailed it to him. I'll ask him to sign my original tomorrow.

That done, it appears that I need only do a termite inspection and the rest of the obligations are the buyer's.

I also found a "checklist" for house selling in Tennessee. Not a lot of stuff for the seller.

BK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville