Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:07 PM

7 posts, read 16,609 times

Advertisements

I feel strange asking this question and think I know the positive answer to this question. But I guess I need confirmation. Here goes! I am very strongly considering a move from Ohio. I am a divorced father with a 13 year old daughter who may come to live with me. I am upper middle class, well-educated and financially well-off. I am bi-racial and my daughter's mother is white.My daughter's mother will visit quite often and attend most of my daughter's activities. My daughter is an A student and a very kind and wonderful child. What can she expect if I purchase a home in Farragut? How will she be receieved by her fellow students? We have never had a problem anywhere we have lived and feel Farragut would be the same. We both have a great attitude towards people and are friendly. We believe in and live by the Golden Rule. What should we expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
It sounds like Farragut would be a great fit. The town is full of nice people, and many of them are transplants, too. Who knows, you might even find that the town is less prejudiced than where you live now. Anyway, I think you will be quite happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano18 View Post
I feel strange asking this question and think I know the positive answer to this question. But I guess I need confirmation. Here goes! I am very strongly considering a move from Ohio. I am a divorced father with a 13 year old daughter who may come to live with me. I am upper middle class, well-educated and financially well-off. I am bi-racial and my daughter's mother is white.My daughter's mother will visit quite often and attend most of my daughter's activities. My daughter is an A student and a very kind and wonderful child. What can she expect if I purchase a home in Farragut? How will she be receieved by her fellow students? We have never had a problem anywhere we have lived and feel Farragut would be the same. We both have a great attitude towards people and are friendly. We believe in and live by the Golden Rule. What should we expect?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:57 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,387,747 times
Hey Stano, I live in Farragut area and can promise, by living by the golden rule, you will not have any problems. People here accept you for being who you are, and many bi-racial couples here. The Church we attend will welcome you, and some of our best friends are the same. So welcome and enjoy your move, and your daughter will do fine in the school system. Check out the schools on kgis.org.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:23 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,462 times
Stano, it's never strange to ask a question like that. You just want what's best for your daughter, so I give you a lot of credit.

I was in the Farragut school system for about a year and a half, and unless things have changed drastically since I graduated three years ago, your daughter will be absolutely fine. In fact, I'm fairly certain that her race won't even be mentioned by her peers - it's really a non-issue. I had a pretty diverse group of friends there, and I really loved my time at Farragut High School, so I hope your daughter has a similar experience.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:52 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
I have friends in East Knoxville who are a biracial family. Their 16 year old daughter is supposed to attend Austin-East, but because A-E is considered a failing school by NCLB, she's allowed to attend a non-failing school of her choice. They chose Farragut, and she absolutely loves it and has experienced zero problems.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:36 PM

7 posts, read 16,609 times
Thank you to all of you. I knew in my heart this would be answer but wanted to confirm. As someone who grew up as a poor country boy I learned to measure two or three times before cutting(I think that is the motto for carpenters) Old man bob. could you tell me the name of the church? That is something else I will be seeking. I have spent a lot of time in Knoxville and have been quite pleased at the quality of people in your town. I am hoping this will be my last move.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 13,171 times
Many people in Farragut come from the north. My neighbors are from Connecticut, Vermont, Michigan, and Oregon (even though that's not in the north). I myself am from South Carolina. The people here are so friendly and you'll love the community. Just because we live in Tennessee doesn't mean we are rednecks. Whenever people ask me where I'm from I say Farragut TN proudly and never say i'm from Knoxville. Knoxville's nice but Farragut is amazing. If you do move to Knoxville go west the east is awful

Old 07-18-2010, 07:08 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT lover View Post
Many people in Farragut come from the north. My neighbors are from Connecticut, Vermont, Michigan, and Oregon (even though that's not in the north). I myself am from South Carolina. The people here are so friendly and you'll love the community. Just because we live in Tennessee doesn't mean we are rednecks. Whenever people ask me where I'm from I say Farragut TN proudly and never say i'm from Knoxville. Knoxville's nice but Farragut is amazing. If you do move to Knoxville go west the east is awful
In what way is it awful?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:
Just because you are from South Carolina also doesn't necessarily mean that you are a redneck either.......does it?

Old 07-18-2010, 10:44 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Oh, goodness.

Farragut is nice and appeals to many people but so does all of Knoxville. There are so many lovely neighborhoods in Knoxville that it is impossible to direct someone to the "best" place.

I live in Fountain City, which is north of Knoxville and full of older homes, a lovely park and charming duck pond. It is very popular, too, with transplants and natives.

I don't consider anywhere in Knoxville to be awful. There is not one area that is truly "dangerous." We do have a couple of poorer areas but even they have their charms. And there are many middle class and very affluent neighborhoods throughout Knoxville. A lot of them are old money where they don't try to hard because they don't have anything to prove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville