Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 20,451 times

Advertisements

Six months ago I made the move from Knoxville to WI to be closer to my family. All along, I knew I wasn't ready. My Dad talked me into moving back north after four years spent in beautiful Tennessee. He said that I'd be able to buy a home, which he would help with. That health care was more affordable, and that he'd help out financially. Those promises were not met and now we are stuck here. I can't find a job, which I expected, but it's still hard. My husband got a job transfer, luckily, before we moved. We are surviving, but are not happy.
Has anyone else been in a similar situation, and if so any advice? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 12:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Gosh. Wisconsin has some of the highest tax burdens in the country, too.

Yes, I moved to Florida from Mass., even though I didn't want to. The pay and benefits in that state were a far cry from what I was used to and the cost of living kept going up, up, up. I was stuck there for quite a long time.

I eventually just pulled up stakes and got out. But the economy was good back then and it wasn't difficult to do.

Right now, if your husband has a job, I would stay put.

However, I expect everything to keep moving upward so hopefully your wait won't be too long. In the meantime, research the heck out of your move from up there. It will give you something to do, some hope and in the end that information will come in handy.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambertlove View Post
Six months ago I made the move from Knoxville to WI to be closer to my family. All along, I knew I wasn't ready. My Dad talked me into moving back north after four years spent in beautiful Tennessee. He said that I'd be able to buy a home, which he would help with. That health care was more affordable, and that he'd help out financially. Those promises were not met and now we are stuck here. I can't find a job, which I expected, but it's still hard. My husband got a job transfer, luckily, before we moved. We are surviving, but are not happy.
Has anyone else been in a similar situation, and if so any advice? Thanks so much.
Oh sweetheart I am feeling the same way! We moved away even farther, to Alaska! We miss Knoxville terribly and are actually leaning towards selling everything (again!) and moving back to Knoxville.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 AM

When we moved to Knoxville city data didn't exist, unfortunately. But I spent hours and hours on the internet, dreaming of moving to Knoxville. It's what kept me going. I hope you all can come back. The city is in full bloom right now.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Oh yes. Been there, done that. I left Knoxville, which I hated at the time, and moved back to my native Florida. HUGE mistake. It took me about a year, but I was able to finally come back.

However, I wouldn't dwell on it. The worst thing you could do for your mental health is to sit there and pine away for something you can't have. There are many positives about living in Wisconsin. Focus on those while keeping Knoxville on the backburner. Keep checking help wanted ads in Knoxville, but don't make your happiness dependent upon returning to East Tennessee. I hope that makes sense. If nothing else, you can always remind yourself that you WILL return here someday, even if it's only after you're able to retire.

Hang in there!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The city is in full bloom right now.
Nothing more magnificent than a beautiful April morning here.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 20,451 times
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to enjoy the time I have here, no matter how long it is. I mean, it's not all bad. Someday I can go back to Knoxville, and it's okay to want to.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 PM

It sure is okay to want to move to Knoxville, but wow, I can't agree enough with JMT. I have finally learned that you can spend your entire life thinking that you will just be happy, be better off, if you can just get to there, whatever and wherever there is. One day it dawned on me that it was okay to be happy with right now.

Of course, it's a beautiful spring day in Knoxville and it's easy to say. But it was pretty gloomy two months ago and I had to look for my happiness but, once again, it was right under my nose.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 PM

190 posts, read 465,661 times
Quote:
that's a bum deal.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 PM

361 posts, read 861,368 times
Hiknapster was right about WI having one of the worst tax burdens. My cousin lives near Chattanooga and we compare the cost of living, mainly taxes and utilities, very often. We would save several thousand dollars each year living in TN. The sad thing for WI is I do not see much in the way of improvements due to the current government spending so I would expect for the next 2 - 4 years we will see sharp increases in taxes and fees(same as a tax). We have looked at the Maryville & Knoxville area and have plans to move but will likely have to wait 3 years. I sure wish I would have payed closer attention to the area when we first visited 30 years ago.

You will have to try to talk your folks into moving to TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville