Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:42 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times

Advertisements

Traffic is the number one reason I would call it hell. I will usually refer business in that area to an inspector I know that lives in Dandridge. If it's a past client, or a special referral, then I make the drive. I just have to allow a LOT of extra driving time.

While Gatlinburg is usually on the list of "go to's" for out of town relatives and friends, and we make the drive to take them, I prefer to stay away. Been there done.

However, if someone wants to live in the "general area", there are lots of affordable places just a ways away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,398 times
Does anyone know of any REASONABLE weekly efficiency apartments that are one or two bedroom or studio apartments or mobile homes that are for rent in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge,or Sevierville,TN? My husband and me are looking to relocate there?
Would you recommend living in Sevierville,Pigeon Forge,or Gatlinburg (maybe Knoxville)?
Are there permanent full time or part time jobs there that are not Seasonal?
I appreciate your replies. Thanks so much.
[email]reneekozitkamgr@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 PM

3 posts, read 11,990 times
I too have found a sweet spot in my heart for the entire Smoky Mtn. experience. This is coming from a person who hates traffic. However, my wife will confirm my ability to put all and i do mean all of my dislikes at rest when we visit that area. I dont mind the traffic and i actually feel comfort and ease in willfully allowing the next car wanting access by yielding to them. My reward in doing so, my inner peace and more so generally speaking, a friendly wave and warm smile. I think that we all want what was dearest to us in whatever time and place that might be. Yes, things have changed there, but so have we. Remember that. ADDITIONALLY, before cutting off the head of tourism and judging it to be a hell as some have stated, and to each their own without fault, but you could look at it as i do, these folks have been blessed with a large and beautiful gem and rather than raping it by logging it or out hunting and out fishing it or trading it for skyscrapers and dollars, they have in many ways found a way to preserve it and be able to live there all the while shareing it with you and i who are just one of millions who look forward to visiting it and relaxing for just a brief moment regardless of how frequent that might be. To all the indigenous folks of the area and the transplants who are glad to call it home. Thank you, I will be moving there soon as well and if you love something enough you will find your way of making it affordable and i wish you well. J. Thompson of Indiana / A happy and appreciative person.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 AM

374 posts, read 945,684 times
Default Again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainman View Post
I too have found a sweet spot in my heart for the entire Smoky Mtn. experience. This is coming from a person who hates traffic. However, my wife will confirm my ability to put all and i do mean all of my dislikes at rest when we visit that area. I dont mind the traffic and i actually feel comfort and ease in willfully allowing the next car wanting access by yielding to them. My reward in doing so, my inner peace and more so generally speaking, a friendly wave and warm smile. I think that we all want what was dearest to us in whatever time and place that might be. Yes, things have changed there, but so have we. Remember that. ADDITIONALLY, before cutting off the head of tourism and judging it to be a hell as some have stated, and to each their own without fault, but you could look at it as i do, these folks have been blessed with a large and beautiful gem and rather than raping it by logging it or out hunting and out fishing it or trading it for skyscrapers and dollars, they have in many ways found a way to preserve it and be able to live there all the while shareing it with you and i who are just one of millions who look forward to visiting it and relaxing for just a brief moment regardless of how frequent that might be. To all the indigenous folks of the area and the transplants who are glad to call it home. Thank you, I will be moving there soon as well and if you love something enough you will find your way of making it affordable and i wish you well. J. Thompson of Indiana / A happy and appreciative person.
visiting this area and tolerating the traffic during a short period is VERY different than enduring it as a lifestyle.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:56 AM

34 posts, read 106,362 times
Quote:
before cutting off the head of tourism and judging it to be a hell as some have stated, and to each their own without fault, but you could look at it as i do
You can look at it through whatever shade of glasses you want. It doesn't make any seasonal tourist area, anywhere, suddenly not be a somewhat problematic place to do things like find steady work. Of course, if you don't mind spending 2-3 hours a day commuting, that's not such an issue.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
SmokyMountain, as a transplant to Knoxville for more than five years I will give you my opinion, however so humble.

I don't mind that tourists go there. You are absolutely correct. It is Dolly's hometown area and she wants the locals to have jobs.

I have lived in tourist areas in Mass. and Florida, though, and if someone is looking to move to this area and needs to work and their profession is not performing in shows or hospitality then I usually urge them to relocate to Knoxville. That way they can get a better paying job, live close to work, have good schools and less traffic as well as lower cost of living and housing. When they want to visit the tourist areas (and we do!) it is just a hop, skip and a jump for them.

But you are more than welcome to relocate there as well, and we will not mind. I promise.

I've found that most people feel the same way. They don't mind if you move there. I promise. And they don't mind the tourists, either. They are just saying that sometimes vacationing and living and working in a place are not the same thing. I sure learned that the hard way while living in Florida!

If you are retiring, a couple of very popular places are Maryville and Seymour, due to their close proximity to the GSMNP without being in the midst of all the traffic, and still being close to "regular" shopping and the like.

Best of luck, either way. We certainly welcome you!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
visiting this area and tolerating the traffic during a short period is VERY different than enduring it as a lifestyle.
Tn Gal,
How right you are. Vacations can leave you with a somewhat unrealistic sense of fact and fiction pertaining to how life realy is in an area. However, I do think that area and anyone living there is blessed with the overall surroundings as well as the commerce in the area. To make an omlet we must break a few eggs. To be fair I did drift from the original thread on my initial post. The folks were inquiring as to the ability to earn a living and i did not lend much cause to that. I apologize. I just wanted to point out that if someone desires something enough they will tolerate the short comings if any as well as find a way if they so choose. But I am sure you are very right as well. Take care.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
The original thread started over three years ago.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Tn Gal,
How right you are. Vacations can leave you with a somewhat unrealistic sense of fact and fiction pertaining to how life realy is in an area. However, I do think that area and anyone living there is blessed with the overall surroundings as well as the commerce in the area. To make an omlet we must break a few eggs. To be fair I did drift from the original thread on my initial post. The folks were inquiring as to the ability to earn a living and i did not lend much cause to that. I apologize. I just wanted to point out that if someone desires something enough they will tolerate the short comings if any as well as find a way if they so choose. But I am sure you are very right as well. Take care.
But please be aware that there are many, many equally breathtaking areas around here, and in other parts of East Tennessee that are not smack-dab in the middle of tourist areas. In fact, because of that many are much nicer. Perhaps you didn't know that.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
But please be aware that there are many, many equally breathtaking areas around here, and in other parts of East Tennessee that are not smack-dab in the middle of tourist areas. In fact, because of that many are much nicer. Perhaps you didn't know that.
I do indeed realize that. I love all of Tennessee for the most part and a good majority of it is not landscaped with traffic and is free from all of the trappings of whatever bells and whistles one might reckognize, whether appreciative or offensive. That can only be determined by each individual. Tennessee is truly blessed in many ways from the breath taking views and landscapes to the well planned and sometimes not so well planned tourist areas all the way up to the folks that live and breathe it on a daily basis or those who only get to experience when time, money or circumstance allow. I hope no one regards or interprets my posts as offensive or argumentative. This being said, I humbley yield. Thank you for this great forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville