Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,851,421 times

Advertisements

You can go to Apartment Finder website and request they mail you a free apartment guide for Knoxville which is what I did. It lists prices and amenities. Knoxville apartments are really expensive at least IMHO so I'd suggest looking in surrounding towns as well. I know you want an apartment within walking distance of the university, but $650 for a 2 bdrm is few and far between unless you want a dump. I was looking for a studio or 1 bdrm in Knox and was shocked that most of those are minimum $700.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 07:16 AM

6,337 posts, read 11,516,219 times
Quote:
I was looking for a studio or 1 bdrm in Knox and was shocked that most of those are minimum $700.
A quick visit to Craigslist will demonstrate that this is not true.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,851,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
A quick visit to Craigslist will demonstrate that this is not true.
It's true in the apartment guide I was mailed. BTW- there was a warning on tv last night on the news about renting off Craigslist. There are scams going on. They reported properties being listed that are not even for rent that belong to someone else and that scammers are actually able to collect money to rent places from people trying to rent from another area before they get here.

As far as price range I have a friend in Knox helping me to look and have found two places under $600 but they are all in iffy parts of town. You really have to be careful and inspect the place in person or have a friend do it. I found a 2 bedrm in Maryville for $480 which is quite a deal and the bathroom is a total disaster including the toilet not flushing well and so dirty it makes you gag to go in it and holes in the wall where apparently the previous tenet damaged it. Its really buyer beware and just cause its cheap doesn't mean its a "good deal".

Old 05-25-2010, 09:22 PM

6,337 posts, read 11,516,219 times
It's good you have somebody to look on your behalf. It's sad to see CL invaded by scammers, but there are real landlords out there. Maybe we need to be more diligent about flagging fraudulent ads. I've seen some advertising buildings that don't exist in Knoxville. The latest scams are directing you to another website.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 8,535 times
Thanks for all the info. The place I am looking for doesnt need to be fancy or within walking distance to UT.
I guess I should have started out by saving I am moving from the South Bend, IN area. Currently we(my wife and I) are renting a 3 bedroom 2 bath trailer .. well they call them "manufactured houses." Its definitely not fancy but its not bad and the price is good. Our credit is not the best either. So if anyone knows of places that arent real particular about that it would be very helpful.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:33 PM

17 posts, read 38,667 times
Does anyone know anything about the Breckenridge apartments in Knoxville? Old ? Clean? Good area? Thank you.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:59 PM

22 posts, read 51,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scperiwinkle View Post
Does anyone know anything about the Breckenridge apartments in Knoxville? Old ? Clean? Good area? Thank you.
I don't really know anything about Breckenridge personally, but I googled it and found some postings on Craigslist:
knoxville apts/housing for rent classifieds "breckenridge" - craigslist=

It looks like they have A LOT of different floorplans with a wide range of prices, so hopefully you can find something that suits your wants/needs. From the photos, it looks fairly nice and clean.

You can google "breckenridge apartments knoxville tn" and several links come up. The Knoxville Apartment Guide website might be a place to start.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-28-2010, 04:16 PM

22 posts, read 51,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
Knoxville Apartment Guide - Find Apartments in Knoxville, TN
Looks like for a 2 BR and $650 budget, your best bet is
Knoxville Place (Commons) and it's walking distance. I would scout the area before deciding on an apartment because some will call themselves within "walking distance" where in reality, you're hiking a couple miles to class every day.
Just to clarify, Knoxville Place and The Commons at Knoxville are two different apartment complexes. Knoxville Place is actually owned by UT and was renamed Volunteer Hall. It serves as undergraduate housing for upperclassmen. The Commons at Knoxville has two different locations in the Fort, and you pay rent per bedroom there.

Since you are married, you might prefer to live in a non-student community instead. The Commons, Crowne at Campus Pointe (which is also pay-per-bedroom and VERY expensive, IMO), University Heights, and Gateway at Knoxville are all geared toward students. I currently live in Gateway, and I can't wait to move simply because of all the noise & parties. It is nearly impossible to study or sleep Thursday-Sunday, and this seems to be the case at most of the college apartments.

Grand Forest and Highland Terrace are not exclusively student apartments, but the majority of the people who live in both complexes seem to be students. Also very loud and not in a great area.

I agree with airen123--many places claim to be within walking distance of the campus, when, in reality, that is definitely not the case.

I just wanted to share what I have observed, as a UT student. I hope this helps if you're still looking!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 PM

207 posts, read 641,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I was looking for a studio or 1 bdrm in Knox and was shocked that most of those are minimum $700.
There are a lot of 1 br apartments for less than $700 in Knoxville. As a student, I lived in Concepts 21 (now Copper Pointe, although they raised the prices after changing the name to add a gratuitous e) and Londontown (the old ones, not the Villas).

I had friends in Sutters Mill, Northshore Woods, and a host of other apartments. With roommates, I lived in College Park and The Grove. The Grove was the most expensive, although with roommates I only paid ~$350 or so. All of those places were fine. Prices have gone up probably 15-20% since I rented in Knoxville, but I never paid anywhere near $700. In fact, the most that I ever paid was $450 for a studio at Londontown.

None of the above were within walking distance to UT, but I wouldn't recommend living within walking distance anyway. Walking distance basically means The Fort, and there is a massive amount of property crime there.

There do seem to be a lot of new "luxury" apartments that rent for $700-$800 for a 1 br, especially in Way West Knoxville, but there are quite a few cheaper than that as well.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 PM

17 posts, read 38,667 times
Thank you so much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville