Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:16 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Welcome to New Mexico, Tito. Even with the uncertainty of road construction delays I'd take the 54 route in a heartbeat. You'll get to see some of beautiful rural New Mexico, save 100+ miles, visit Carrizozo, Tularosa and Alamagordo, and the chile cheeseburger will be a bonus! Depending on the time of day, navigating Albuquerque can be unpleasant in a white-knuckle sort of way. 70 is rarely closed, and when it is it's not for long, and that view of LC when you come over the San Augustin Pass will inspire you.
I'll try road 54 and I'll let you know how it went, 100 miles difference between the two routes deserves some serious consideration. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 05:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Also consider that 100 miles is 4 to 5 gallons of gas and the savings could pay for the cheeseburger. During our last trip to NM we found that the interstate is not that much faster than the federal routs because of the relatively light traffic, long distance between towns and the openness allows running in the 70 mph range along with the natives. Incidentally RT 12 a two lane SW of Datil is posted at 75!

I kind of envy your move

Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
I'll try road 54 and I'll let you know how it went, 100 miles difference between the two routes deserves some serious consideration. Thanks
I found that out, too. The first two trips to Alamo were via 1-20/1-10, and nearly 400 miles. It is an EASY drive from Midland to Alamo going that route, but...I figured that with 80 MPH on I-10 and a straight shot, it would be only a few minutes longer than the short route.

THEN..I decided to try the shorter route, 290 miles. Even with the slowdowns in all of the towns you have to go through--and the last 40 or so miles being a winding mountain road, it was an HOUR shorter...and I had 1/4 tank of gas left over. I didn't have to stop at all.

So. Live and learn.

54 from Santa Rosa is good all the way, as I recall. The speed limits are lower than interstate, but you'll still make much better time, and should have a pleasant drive!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I found that out, too. The first two trips to Alamo were via 1-20/1-10, and nearly 400 miles. It is an EASY drive from Midland to Alamo going that route, but...I figured that with 80 MPH on I-10 and a straight shot, it would be only a few minutes longer than the short route.

THEN..I decided to try the shorter route, 290 miles. Even with the slowdowns in all of the towns you have to go through--and the last 40 or so miles being a winding mountain road, it was an HOUR shorter...and I had 1/4 tank of gas left over. I didn't have to stop at all.

So. Live and learn.

54 from Santa Rosa is good all the way, as I recall. The speed limits are lower than interstate, but you'll still make much better time, and should have a pleasant drive!
Thank you so much Kathy, saving 100 miles on a trip is very significant, even if I have to drive slower. I'm sure that I'll enjoy going throught the little towns and stop for that famous green chile burger in Carrizozo.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
Thank you so much Kathy, saving 100 miles on a trip is very significant, even if I have to drive slower. I'm sure that I'll enjoy going throught the little towns and stop for that famous green chile burger in Carrizozo.
And don't forget to get the fries with that cheesburger...

I head to Alamo all the time, but 54 is not a bad route. Just know the "pit" stops are not that often.
And fill up with gass in Santa Rosa.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
Just watch out for the Corona Lights that mysteriously appear at night on that lonely road between Santa Rosa and Carrizozo .....

I'm just kidding..... or am i .....

Old 10-15-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Just watch out for the Corona Lights that mysteriously appear at night on that lonely road between Santa Rosa and Carrizozo .....

I'm just kidding..... or am i .....

I only intend to drive during day light. The Corona Lights might be UFO's on their way to Rosewell.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 PM

102 posts, read 586,570 times
I like Crona Lights, but I prefer full strength Corona. Carte Blanca isn't bad either, helps wash down that great NM food!

Sorry couldn't resist that one, definitely not an endorsement for drinking when driving, just my warped sense of humor.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:00 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,846 times
Tito,
It is 180 miles from Santa Rosa to Alamogordo via 54. Thats 3 hrs for me, or thats what I say.. I enjoy this part of my 1250 miles of driving as I know its the last and I am home. I will stay in Vaughn rather than drive this stretch at night. I am not a night driver.
Let us know when you get there.
Your locations says Peoria, are you near there? Have DD in Eureka

Old 10-16-2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Tito,
It is 180 miles from Santa Rosa to Alamogordo via 54. Thats 3 hrs for me, or thats what I say.. I enjoy this part of my 1250 miles of driving as I know its the last and I am home. I will stay in Vaughn rather than drive this stretch at night. I am not a night driver.
Let us know when you get there.
Your locations says Peoria, are you near there? Have DD in Eureka
Peoria is the place where I work but after my last day on my job, I'll travel to Chicago to spend a few days with my daughter before starting my journey. I don't intent to drive at night. I know where Eureka is but I haven't been there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces