Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 06:43 AM

54 posts, read 320,797 times

Advertisements

I read a lot of good things about LC! Unless I missed it, I didn't see anything addressing families w/kids. I was wondering if anyone has some insight about that? Are there things for teens to do? Sometimes boredom is the enemy, my kids are invoved in a lot of school activities including JROTC, any info on those types of things will be greatly appreciated!
I know it's hot in the summer..is it humid? Does it get any snow? Barring any blizzards, snow's kind of a dream for me! I saw on the news about the flooding in Las Cruces and into El Paso, I'm hoping this is rare? Being a desert is flash flooding a common occurrence? We worry about several natural type disasters here in South Carolina, not just storms but, the San Andreas fault runs through the area I live (yes, the one of Cal. infamy). If you know what to be prepared for though, you can make it through anything!
We have an opportunity to go to LC (hubby's work) and I'm not sure about it...we could possibly go and maybe transfer to another spot later on...Thanks in advance for any help. Lots to think about, daughter at university, although my family are here for her...so scary when they grow up!
Of course, the boys! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 10:42 AM

28 posts, read 371,340 times
LowcountryGirl...Las Cruces is a big enough city that your kids will have plenty to do. Whether they are involved in sports, academics, or even JROTC. I know several of the schools there do have JROTC as well as the university has ROTC because all of my friends in college were a part of it. And yes, the summers are hot but at least they're not humid. Its actually very enjoyable weather there in the summer and the winters are great. I remember it did snow a few times but never more than an inch and it always melted before noon. As for the monsoon season, it can happen but not very likely and what happened in El Paso this week is very uncommon. What I do remember most were the dust storms in the spring, they sometimes have to close the highways due to the low visibilty on the roads that can sometimes cause car accidents. Other than that, LC is very enjoyable year round. Any other questions please feel free to ask awayl

Old 08-03-2006, 12:30 PM

22,940 posts, read 28,331,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry Girl
Are there things for teens to do?
Sure. Las Cruces is a sizeable town. Lots of sports for kids and teens. Movie theatres, etc.

Quote:
I know it's hot in the summer..is it humid?
Not even a little. In fact, there really isn't any place in NM that suffers from humidity. Las Cruces is probably one of the most arid climates in the state. Very, very, very dry.

Quote:
Does it get any snow?
It's not unheard of, but it is very, very rare. If you want snow, you're going to have to look farther north or in the mountains. Ruidoso (still in the southern parts of the state) gets snow.

Quote:
I saw on the news about the flooding in Las Cruces and into El Paso, I'm hoping this is rare? Being a desert is flash flooding a common occurrence?
It's not unheard of, but it isn't common. The thing about rain in NM (especially in Las Cruces) is that it just doesn't rain very often, but when it does, it comes in buckets.

Quote:
We worry about several natural type disasters here in South Carolina, not just storms but, the San Andreas fault runs through the area I live (yes, the one of Cal. infamy). If you know what to be prepared for though, you can make it through anything!
New Mexico does have earthquakes believe it or not. I was in one when I was living in Portales. But they aren't severe. At least I've never heard of a severe one in hundreds of years. I guess there is a first time for everything though.

The only natural disasters you'd have to worry about in Las Cruces is the very occasional flood (and if you're careful where you live this won't be an issue), the intense (and I mean intense) heat of summer, and the occasional dust storm. Tornadoes happen, but they aren't common that far south.

I grew up in New Mexico. Honestly, I have no desire to go back there. I can't take the heat, I like green, the schools are not great, and there are just nicer areas elsewhere, even in nearby Colorado. But if I had to move back to New Mexico, Las Cruces would definitely be high on my list. As much as I hate the desert, I do admit that Las Cruces is not a bad town.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:51 PM

54 posts, read 320,797 times
Y'all are great! Thanks for the honest and thorough replies...we have planned on waiting til atleast next summer to make a move, this opp was kind of a surprise. I guess my husband will have to fly out and decide if he likes the position. This is such a big move and it's nice to know that even if some of you don't live in NM anymore you represent NM better than you know...although I already fell in love with Ruidoso via "computer eyes"!lol~ thanks again!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 AM

7 posts, read 25,782 times
Default Is Las Cruces Family friendly?

We have an opportunity to move to LC, and we have a family with four young children, (9-6-4-2) I was wondering if anyone would tell me about schools and the general Family friendliness of LC? From all the I have read it seems like a really nice community we love being active and outdoors, we are moving from Utah so we are used to sun and desert conditions...but I was just wondering what else we are missing?
Thanks!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,737,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockislandgal View Post
We have an opportunity to move to LC, and we have a family with four young children, (9-6-4-2) I was wondering if anyone would tell me about schools and the general Family friendliness of LC? From all the I have read it seems like a really nice community we love being active and outdoors, we are moving from Utah so we are used to sun and desert conditions...but I was just wondering what else we are missing?
Thanks!
LC is a friendly city overall.

The library (Branigan) offers lots of terrific kids programs and this time of year there will already be lots of kids out playing T-ball and soccer in the fields near the Recreation Center.

I didn't have elementary school-aged kids when I lived there, but, I know people speak very highly of Desert Hills and Sonoma - both in the 88011 zip. These both feed into Camino Real Middle School.

On the other side of town, near the university, Zia Middle School is highly rated, but, I don't know which elementary schools feed into that one.

Those are the only two districts I would consider personally.

P.S. I spent several summers on Block Island when I was a kid back in the mid-60s. What a great place.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:44 AM

60 posts, read 158,791 times
Las Cruces is much smaller than Albuquerque. However, it's not boring in any way. Take the kids to many outdoors adventures like the nearby Organ Mountains.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,676,321 times
I don't know where you come from, so my input is relative.

We lived in LC for one year, coming from Maine and MA, then back to Maine. We found the educational system to be lacking, and my daughter went to one of the "best" elementary schools in the city. She was doing things in 4th grade that she had already done in 2nd in MA. When we moved to Maine the next year, she was definitely behind.

That said, I liked LC just fine. Had we stayed longer, DD would have gone to a private school for gifted and talented kids (bear in mind that in ME and MA she is no such thing!).

Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,111 times
Default Questions About Las Cruces

1) Is there a few gyms to choose from in the area?
2) Is there a motorcycle presence?
3)Whats the bar/ night life scene like?
I'm coming from the New England, for those of you who have made a similar move.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
2) Is there a motorcycle presence? - Yes
Las Cruces Motorcycle Riders (Las Cruces, NM) - Meetup

https://www.facebook.com/NewMexicoBikerEvents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces