Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 05:57 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcrow47 View Post
Moved to LC in December from Michigan. Love it here! Shorts and t-shirt in February! Plenty of places around LC where crime is not an issue. It’s hot but it’s not humid hot which makes all the difference. I’ve made the drive up to Cloudcroft a couple of times (about an hour and 20 min away) this summer and it’s around 9,000 feet and roughly 20 degrees cooler. El Paso is 40 minutes from my place and I’ve gone there multiple times for restaurants and other big city stuff.

I don’t miss Michigan at all! The people are friendly, the weather’s great, beautiful scenery and the cost of living is more than reasonable.
That's good to hear, Redcrow. I missed your post weeks ago and just read it today. Shorts and t-shirts in February, how wonderful, you know i'll be shivering while wearing a north face then. That's just great to hear that you don't miss Michigan at all !
One thing I haven't figured out is my love of gardening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 06:25 AM

Longislandmire,
I see you have done your homework as to sinkholes. Studying the US, I have found there is no perfect place. There are tornadoes, fault lines, hurricanes, nuclear power plants, sinkholes yes, earthquakes, floods, predatory and poisonous creatures, etc. There is simply no place that is safe from everything. Mitigating risk assessment of NM I'd stay away from Carlsbad, but I had no intention of looking into that area anyway.
Yes, ideally I would prefer to live in an area where I have my own little safe peaceful space but be able to walk or drive a short distance when I want to join in the crowds for festivals of any kind. There is something invigorating just to be near many people sometimes. But when I'm done sharing space with others I do want the comfort of being able to get away from those same crowds. That is the very problem with Silver City, it's remote. LC has its outdoor market, but I do wish they would add outdoor music festivals, more art fairs, even a mile long yearly yard sale would do, just add more community crowd events. Make it a "happening place" every weekend. For me, there's comfort in walking past a restaurant with outdoor tables and never seeing them all empty, it's a sign of a thriving area.
Ideally I might live in downtown ABQ. However the crime rate is far too high. LC has a lower crime rate, but not nearly as much action. What to do...what to do....

Old 08-23-2020, 10:22 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
NoMansLands - don't hold your breath regarding outdoor music festivals - they're gonna be few and far between from now on. They held one recently in the UK where everyone was on top of these "pods" of chairs elevated up about 3 feet. Those pods held about 8 people separated nicely away from each other.

Then, the stage and band played like normal, loud and proud! Believe it or not, it looked like there was perhaps 2,000 people there, but check me on that. It may have been a bigger or smaller amount. The point is, it was a "COVID-19 safe" show for the lads and ladies in the UK. Google it to learn more if you'd like.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
NoMansLands - don't hold your breath regarding outdoor music festivals - they're gonna be few and far between from now on. They held one recently in the UK where everyone was on top of these "pods" of chairs elevated up about 3 feet. Those pods held about 8 people separated nicely away from each other.

Then, the stage and band played like normal, loud and proud! Believe it or not, it looked like there was perhaps 2,000 people there, but check me on that. It may have been a bigger or smaller amount. The point is, it was a "COVID-19 safe" show for the lads and ladies in the UK. Google it to learn more if you'd like.
Hello elktronics,

Their "pods" idea I can see was ineffective because those gathering were obviously friends, not family members (for the most part) and not distanced enough (imho) to begin with.
I'm not going to be ready for a move for a couple years yet anyway. I dream on realtor.com looking at the available housing several times a week, that's my virtual tours. I have many things to take care of before I'll be ready for a move. My HOPE is that in a couple years time this virus will be under control and there will be a vaccine in my blood. That's the piece of the puzzle that could destroy my future plans, if there's no vaccine then I'm not moving until there is. In the meantime, dreaming and discussing a possible move, and learning more and more about NM is all I can do about it.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:13 PM

I get it. There will be a vaccine, but, thinking we'll have one before the 2020 Presidential election is a pipe dream of immense proportions.

As to living in New Mexico, I love living here and, in fact, I've lived in many of the United States, and living in New Mexico is the best. From our local White Sands to visiting the Sunspot Observatory and Timberon, to seeing the tiny, historic town of Lincoln, NM, where the original buildings still stand(including the original store that eventually became the Lincoln County Jail in which Billy The Kid shot his self out of), the list goes on and on and Mrs. elkotronics and I never have time to visit all of the beautiful, interesting places the State of New Mexico has to offer.

Good fortune to you, NoMansLands, in your quest to get here. Enjoy the hunt.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I get it. There will be a vaccine, but, thinking we'll have one before the 2020 Presidential election is a pipe dream of immense proportions.

As to living in New Mexico, I love living here and, in fact, I've lived in many of the United States, and living in New Mexico is the best. From our local White Sands to visiting the Sunspot Observatory and Timberon, to seeing the tiny, historic town of Lincoln, NM, where the original buildings still stand(including the original store that eventually became the Lincoln County Jail in which Billy The Kid shot his self out of), the list goes on and on and Mrs. elkotronics and I never have time to visit all of the beautiful, interesting places the State of New Mexico has to offer.

Good fortune to you, NoMansLands, in your quest to get here. Enjoy the hunt.
Thank-you Elkotronics! The hunt is fun. It's good thing that you're on here regularly to help pass out the welcome to those interested in moving to or visiting!

Old 08-23-2020, 06:02 PM

I enjoy being a local "guide" for people moving to Otero-Lincoln County. This is a labor of love for me. If I can control my late-breaking urges to move out of the U.S. when I retire, I'll be living here in Otero County digging life until the end. Of life as we know it.

I've been studying the idea of selling our Alamogordo home and moving to either Panama, Peru, Belize or The Algaves in Portugal. Right now I'm starting to lean on The Algaves, Portugal.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:12 AM

I do that too...dream bigger. Rome is my favorite world city that I have visited. Yucatan was a consideration for a long time, may still be, if the cartels are kept in check there. Spain is on my bucket list, must have a lot in common with Portugal. The mediterranean or central America both have some very ideal draws.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:29 AM

Panama literally rolls out the red carpet for American expats. Great deals on homes, meals, bus tickets, etc. English is spoken there widely, there's lots of expats to help you get acclimated, citizenship is probably the easiest of anywhere in the world for us.

Plus, I love the Panama Canal, and visiting it would be so cool. Healthcare isn't free there like it is in Portugal (if you're 65 or older and a Portugese citizen - it takes a couple years to become a citizen in Portugal - you'd have to keep renewing your visa - not really a big deal at all - their national healthcare program is free for expats) but it's cost if pretty minimal. You could either pay out of pocket as you go for both the doctor and any hospital care you might need or buy a National Healthcare Insurance Plan of Panama for about $150/month. Our money is pretty much 1:1 there with the Panamanian balboa. If you stay out of living in Panama City your house could be had for $60,000 on up, or you could rent a 2BD, 1BA house in many areas for $650/mo.

I'm leaning towards the Algaves now, more, though. But Portugal (southern part only - it's gorgeous!!!) and Panama are my 2 top choices as I type this post out. I still need to research what the most affordable housing costs are in southern Portugal - The Algarves. Homework for me - I'm working for 4 more years and saving money for retirement as I type, too, so the time to research is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces