Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 7,527 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m looking for information for my parents on possible retirement locations. My parents currently live in Southeastern NM but are considering a move to the High Rolls area or Alamogordo. They are 75+years, still working but starting to slow down and consider retirement. If possible, they would like some insight from locals on the following:

-Quality of health care in Alamogordo
-How much of a problem is blowing dirt (mother has asthma and this is main reason they are considering leaving SE NM)
-real-estate stability
-are there times it is impossible to get from High Rolls to Alamogordo due to weather
-quality of life, crime etc (especially in comparison to Carlsbad NM)

Thank you in advance. I appreciate any info. I live in Houston and I am trying to help them make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 09:09 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Oh for crying out loud, where are the resident Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce boosters now? I tell this person to move their post here to get more responses and all of the sudden everyone has laryngitis?

Old 05-24-2018, 08:07 AM

33 posts, read 31,779 times
I would like to see the answers to these questions too. I'm 71. I've researched a number of locations in NM, and I like the looks of Alamogordo. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:36 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Oh for crying out loud, where are the resident Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce boosters now? I tell this person to move their post here to get more responses and all of the sudden everyone has laryngitis?
You mean Elkotronics and that Tommy guy

Well, I’m sure they pipe up, probably out golfing...

Anyway, I really like High Rolls area, has probably the best climate in NM,
still mild in winter with a cool summer (by NM standards).
Aparently used to be big area for growing apples.

As for hospitals, that would Alamogordo and I think their hospital is not bad,
I think Elko worked there, he’ll be helpful about that.

As for road conditions in winter, High Rolls is just low enough that
snow will not be a significant problem.

Unfortunately, I heard that resl estate in thr area is expensive, so that could be s problem.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:05 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I really like High Rolls area...
Aparently used to be big area for growing apples.

Mountain Park/High Rolls had more of a reputation for
their cherry orchards. In spite of the fact that there are very
few cherry trees to be found today, there is still an annual
Cherry Festival:

High Rolls Cherry Festival
=June 16 - 17, 2018=
High Rolls Community Center
High Rolls, NM 88325

Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
As for hospitals, that would Alamogordo and I think their hospital is not bad,
I think Elko worked there, he’ll be helpful about that.

I work for Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center and I think that the care you receive at there will be adequate but not world class. You will get your needs met and if you want a sleep study, you'll receive world class care. I work in that department. You'll be well-taken care of.

As for blowing dust - wear a mask if that happens - and it happens now and then. Getting from High Rolls to Alamogordo shouldn't be a problem in inclement weather - the highway is well-cared for and I can not recall it ever being closed down for anything.

Unfortunately, I heard that resl estate in thr area is expensive, so that could be s problem.

Real estate, in my humble opinion, in Alamogordo, NM, is affordable and there is a nice supply of houses to pick from, in town or out in the country.

Yes, Alamogordo livin' is good livin'!

Old 10-03-2018, 06:02 AM

6 posts, read 7,527 times
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the information you all provided. My parents closed on a home in Alamogordo this week and will soon make the move. They are very excited to get out of SE NM oilfield traffic that has become a bit challenging for them in the last year.

Thanks again!

Old 10-03-2018, 09:30 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the information you all provided. My parents closed on a home in Alamogordo this week and will soon make the move. They are very excited to get out of SE NM oilfield traffic that has become a bit challenging for them in the last year.

Thanks again!

Good to hear this!

Old 10-05-2018, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,318 times
Question Headed to Alamogordo

I am unfamiliar with forums, so please excuse me while I learn how things are done here, or feel free to let me know if I'm not doing something correctly. I don't live in Alamogordo yet, but I plan to after my home in Capitan sells. I am in Alamogordo often for doctor's visits, and I'm starting to familiarize myself with the area. I was told by a real estate agent that a lot of Alamogordo is in a flood zone. When I looked up the FEMA flood maps, I was disappointed to find that the map they show online is from 2010. Does anyone know how I might find something more recent? Thanks so much.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:02 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofers'nTweeters View Post
I was told by a real estate agent that a lot of Alamogordo is in a flood zone. When I looked up the FEMA flood maps, I was disappointed to find that the map they show online is from 2010. Does anyone know how I might find something more recent? Thanks so much.
Check out this city of Alamogordo page which covers flood info: https://ci.alamogordo.nm.us/317/Flood-Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces