Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 06:17 PM

60 posts, read 50,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy444 View Post
I'm no expert on the city of Las Cruces, by any stretch of the imagination, but I just got back yesterday from a house-hunting excursion there, and to me, the city seemed almost pristine -- very clean. It was absolutely beautiful, and I saw no areas where there was any litter, etc. I hope that helps!
If you are going to retire the Deming would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 07:17 PM

76 posts, read 54,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drleephd6530 View Post
No thanks. I've already bought a beautiful home in Las Cruces, and I absolutely LOVE it here! Deming would have been much too small for someone like me.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:59 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times

There are some personalities that would actually prefer Deming to Las Cruces for retirement. Deming is slow and laid back. Las Cruces is more cosmopolitan and has more of a modern look. Busy streets, in fact, I've been thinking of upgrading to a 2019 Ford Fiesta ST 6-speed turbocharged 197hp 202 lb-ft of torque engine just for navigating Las Cruces' streets. No kidding.

Alamogordo is more laid back, too, like Deming, though I do feel like Alamogordo is more varied and a prettier town, overall, than Deming. Deming has the old-school downtown and sleepy neighborhoods, crime is...I don't really know which of those two towns has a more active crime rate.

But Las Cruces is a busier, more populated city by far than Deming, and, quite frankly, it might be too much for many, many people who want a sleepier, quieter town ta live in.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,097 times
Default What??? Special car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

There are some personalities that would actually prefer Deming to Las Cruces for retirement. Deming is slow and laid back. Las Cruces is more cosmopolitan and has more of a modern look. Busy streets, in fact, I've been thinking of upgrading to a 2019 Ford Fiesta ST 6-speed turbocharged 197hp 202 lb-ft of torque engine just for navigating Las Cruces' streets. No kidding.

Alamogordo is more laid back, too, like Deming, though I do feel like Alamogordo is more varied and a prettier town, overall, than Deming. Deming has the old-school downtown and sleepy neighborhoods, crime is...I don't really know which of those two towns has a more active crime rate.

But Las Cruces is a busier, more populated city by far than Deming, and, quite frankly, it might be too much for many, many people who want a sleepier, quieter town ta live in.
I’ve never heard of anyone buying a car specifically to drive in a specific city. I live on the east coast with over 5.4kpop/sqm , LC is 1.4k/sqmi. One fourth (25%) the population density. My pickup truck works fine and Ive never heard of anyone buying a new car just because of local traffic conditions.

As of the 2010 census, 48 million Americans lived in rural areas out of 309M total. So 15.5% of the population lives in rural. I don’t call that “many, many”. 85% of people live in urban/suburban areas - many, many - vast majority.

Las Cruces is definitely on my radar as a place I’d love to move to in the next few years.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:29 PM

I’ve never heard of anyone buying a car specifically to drive in a specific city. I live on the east coast with over 5.4kpop/sqm , LC is 1.4k/sqmi. One fourth (25%) the population density. My pickup truck works fine and Ive never heard of anyone buying a new car just because of local traffic conditions.

It's just convenient to be quicker off the line, that's all. And quicker merging. It would just be a nice power upgrade because my '11 Kia Soul's 1.6L 4 cyl. 130hp doesn't move me very fast after the light turns green. I feel like I'm in the way a lot of the time and I'd like to zip along faster in the Fiesta ST from Fo-Mo-Co. Plus I'm enamored with the car's exterior design much now as well.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:15 AM

2019 Ford Fiesta ST in Shadow Black with painted red brake calipers

This is the one I'm after. These are for enthusiasts and Ford isn't able to sell them mainstream, hence, Ford is discontinuing sales of the car in the U.S. Which, to me, makes the car even more worth going after since the 2019 model is now a collector's item. This car is only $17,949. Chump change for this rig.

One of few cars I like in a deep, black paint job.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:01 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Not a bad car at all, I had a GTI for a while for similar reasons. Lots of fun. Black in the desert though? My little 'hot hatch' was white. I'd also look at silver. Little turbocharged 4 bangers are indeed good off the line but not so much for running the AC while you're still sitting at the line.

Cruces is reasonably clean but Walmart bags hanging on a creosote bush aren't known as the state flag for nothing.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Busy streets, in fact, I've been thinking of upgrading to a 2019 Ford Fiesta ST 6-speed turbocharged 197hp 202 lb-ft of torque engine just for navigating Las Cruces' streets. No kidding.
This is a clear example of "everything is relative" or YMMV ("your mileage may vary")! I just moved to Las Cruces from a city of less than half the population of Las Cruces. Traffic there was horrible. It was bumper to bumper traffic most of the day, every day. When I drive around Las Cruces, I keep thinking I must have missed the rapture! I'm wondering, where are all the people??? It completely amazes me that I can make a left-hand turn across three lanes of traffic (Lohman -- 3 lanes each way) during "rush hour," and hardly have to wait any time at all before it's clear for me to do so! Do I drive a sports car? No. I drive a Jeep Renegade, for crying out loud. In Las Cruces, the lanes are plentiful and wide, and there are more than an adequate number of turn lanes and signage. Driving around here is like Heaven to me! I have never driven anywhere as easy to drive around as Las Cruces is, even with the construction in some areas. I have to say that the only thing I would even think to complain about with regard to traffic here is that people seem to drive so s-l-o-w-l-y! There's definitely no need for a fast car around here, IMHO, but like I said, everything is relative...

Old 07-09-2019, 09:24 AM

Joy444 - no, I don't need a fast car to drive in Las Cruces, I want a fast car to drive in Las Cruces! It's all right driving there in Las Cruces, the city sort of reminds me of driving in Tucson. I mainly drove a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with a CVT there in Tucson. I worked at the little hospital in Willcox and we owned a house there in Willcox. But we'd drive the 80 miles west to Tucson to "play" - go to movies, go see the puppies for sale, eat, shop, etc. I could punch it to get out of most traffic "clogs" if you will, using the Lancer's aggressive 154hp 4-cyl that put power to the wheels with the use of a great CVT system Mitsubishi engineers designed. I mean, when I punched it in that car the car really responded up and in your face. The 2019 Ford Fiesta ST has an inline 4 cyl turbocharged engine that has 197 hp and 202 ft-lb. of torque. 0-60 times are generally 6.6 seconds. The little black bomber below would be a faster car than my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS was, for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I like Las Cruces. I would rather live in Alamogordo, though, because traffic here is so agreeable and light that I wonder where everybody is sometimes. Enjoy Las Cruces to the full - you've got a real city about 40 miles south of you in El Paso. We just attended our annual District Convention there at El Paso and, ya know, I like the shopping downtown there. Our son went shopping instead of the Bible Convention one day and scored me a brand new Seattle Seahawk's travel mug for relatively cheap! I would've rather he attended the Bible Convention, but, he have me the mug and I love the Seahawk's with a passion, so a nice gift ta get.

One can never have enough Seattle Seahawk's travel mugs or coffee mugs, don't cha know?!!

Last edited by elkotronics; 07-09-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Joy444 - no, I don't need a fast car to drive in Las Cruces, I want a fast car to drive in Las Cruces! It's all right driving there in Las Cruces, the city sort of reminds me of driving in Tucson. I mainly drove a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with a CVT there in Tucson. I worked at the little hospital in Willcox and we owned a house there in Willcox. But we'd drive the 80 miles west to Tucson to "play" - go to movies, go see the puppies for sale, eat, shop, etc. I could punch it to get out of most traffic "clogs" if you will, using the Lancer's aggressive 154hp 4-cyl that put power to the wheels with the use of a great CVT system Mitsubishi engineers designed. I mean, when I punched it in that car the car really responded up and in your face. The 2019 Ford Fiesta ST has an inline 4 cyl turbocharged engine that has 197 hp and 202 ft-lb. of torque. 0-60 times are generally 6.6 seconds. The little black bomber below would be a faster car than my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS was, for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I like Las Cruces. I would rather live in Alamogordo, though, because traffic here is so agreeable and light that I wonder where everybody is sometimes. Enjoy Las Cruces to the full - you've got a real city about 40 miles south of you in El Paso. We just attended our annual District Convention there at El Paso and, ya know, I like the shopping downtown there. Our son went shopping instead of the Bible Convention one day and scored me a brand new Seattle Seahawk's travel mug for relatively cheap! I would've rather he attended the Bible Convention, but, he have me the mug and I love the Seahawk's with a passion, so a nice gift ta get.

One can never have enough Seattle Seahawk's travel mugs or coffee mugs, don't cha know?!!
The Ford Fiesta has come a long way, has it not?! Speed is not something I would have ever associated with a Ford Fiesta! I've honestly been pretty happy with my Jeep. It's never let me down when needing to accelerate quickly, and I've gotten it up to 95 mph and not realized it while trying to change lanes to get off at an exit. It doesn't feel like it struggles at high speed at all. I have the alarm set to tell me when I've hit 80 mph, because I routinely go over that without realizing it.

El Paso is a city that I wouldn't be too interested in driving in! I'm hoping my trips there will be few and far between!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces