Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 07:47 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,509 times

Advertisements

I'm with Eddie about Las Cruces, I think its pretty bland. In my 5 years here, I attribute it to the generations of oppression, powerlessness, shameful education, poverty and child welfare statistics, which probably also explains being among the worst for suicide for over 20 years.
People here have no hope, no opportunity, no voice, so they are very apathetic.
For this size city, its incredible how many people are born, raised and die without knowing much outside of here. And the way they make local policy decisions here is incredible: its basically the same local people coming up with their own failed ideas, over and over. Like they they dont know anything exists beyond the county line, no expertise they could seek out or at least learn about, no collaboration with the rest of the state. They continue to talk about their success as they continue to fail.
I know this sounds like a lot of whining, and I will stop, but im just always bewildered at whats going on here. Definitely no actual change.
Its a dead zone for me. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I'm going back west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 07:57 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
As far as the scenery, definitely. When it comes to the human design element, i.e. planning, zoning, and what makes a town look more habitable, I say not as much. And I say that as a realtor whose job it is to promote the area. I will be honest: the main arterial roads are nothing pretty to look at, particularly when it comes to signage. There are areas on the eastern side of the city that residential that abut the Organ Mountains. These are million dollar views. Particularly the Talavera section behind A Mountain. But if you compare Sedona and Santa Fe, the difference between those two cities and Las Cruces are pretty much architectural standards and what can and can't be constructed and how it can be constructed. This is a blessing or a curse, depending on your perspective. From a business perspective, and a consumer standard, this is a good thing. For someone who wants something more elevated, perhaps not as much. Mesilla is an exception. Mesilla is more like Santa Fe. The town council there will regulate to a much greater degree what can be constructed via the covenants, conditions and restrictions that govern subdivisions much more so than Cruces. The good news is that if you choose this type of lifestyle, Mesilla is not that far away.

The views in this city of mountains are almost unparalleled. As well as your perspective of the Rio Grande Valley from the mesa. And people are coming here in droves. I've never been so busy.

There is no cohesion, no really sense of community, the only thing that unites them is green chili's. So, no personality or connection, really just desparation. I live in the mesquite street area, and its pretty ghettoish and depressing.
And then there's "east of I-25", which to me is typical southwestern retiree tract type housing, just like Phoenix or any other pre-planned snowbird area.
They don't really see the problems the city tries to hide.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:21 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
For this size city, its incredible how many people are born, raised and die without knowing much outside of here. And the way they make local policy decisions here is incredible: its basically the same local people coming up with their own failed ideas, over and over. Like they they dont know anything exists beyond the county line, no expertise they could seek out or at least learn about, no collaboration with the rest of the state.
You have touched on a subject that I have visited and explored with several other people over the years. It is not simply a Las Cruces trait, or a local short-sightedness, but it exists in other parts of the state as well. If you meet and work with the general public it becomes apparent that horizons are very short. Many have never left the state or ventured outside of their local comfort zone or bubble. New Mexico was isolated for generations and it still is in various ways. Back then, solutions to problems were home grown and often resolved by some local persons or the church. Extended families have a magnetic pull and I have never lived in a more family oriented place. That is a good thing but it keeps some people from exploring opportunities or farther horizons. I think this is more commonly noticed by transplants. It is part of what contributes to the waggish description of New Mexico as the "Land of Entrapment".

Old 02-08-2021, 04:19 AM

78 posts, read 76,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Extended families have a magnetic pull and I have never lived in a more family oriented place. That is a good thing but it keeps some people from exploring opportunities or farther horizons. I think this is more commonly noticed by transplants. It is part of what contributes to the waggish description of New Mexico as the "Land of Entrapment".
Have you been to Minnesota? I've noticed that here as well.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:33 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
Have you been to Minnesota? I've noticed that here as well.
Is that the case in the entire state? I think the Twin Cities area would be somewhat more evolved than, say Brainerd. I thought that Minnesota in aggregate terms of vital quality of life ratings (Health care access, education, crime, economy, etc) had superior statistical data, so this post is somewhat surprising to me.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:58 PM

78 posts, read 76,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Is that the case in the entire state? I think the Twin Cities area would be somewhat more evolved than, say Brainerd. I thought that Minnesota in aggregate terms of vital quality of life ratings (Health care access, education, crime, economy, etc) had superior statistical data, so this post is somewhat surprising to me.
all I can tell you is that I've lived in the twin cities for nearly 29 years and I've known people who don't want to explore the world. you are right when you say that the twin cities are more evolved. I'm not sure what you're saying about statistical data.

I don't have too much experience with people outside the twin cities other than my husband's family and they like exploring the world. well maybe not my brother in law. he generally stays in his bubble and doesn't travel much. once his wife retired she talked him into a trip to Arizona. And he went to Germany in his 20s. Beyond that, I don't know that he's travelled much out of the state. They live about 2 hours northwest of us, the rest of them are in Bemidji.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
all I can tell you is that I've lived in the twin cities for nearly 29 years and I've known people who don't want to explore the world. you are right when you say that the twin cities are more evolved. I'm not sure what you're saying about statistical data.

I don't have too much experience with people outside the twin cities other than my husband's family and they like exploring the world. well maybe not my brother in law. he generally stays in his bubble and doesn't travel much. once his wife retired she talked him into a trip to Arizona. And he went to Germany in his 20s. Beyond that, I don't know that he's travelled much out of the state. They live about 2 hours northwest of us, the rest of them are in Bemidji.
When I refer to statistical data, I mean the quality of health care, public schools, higher paying jobs, etc. I was under the impression that the Twin Cities had those metrics, certainly more than here.

It's cold outside! And snowing! 22 degrees as of right now.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:28 AM

99 posts, read 111,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
I'm with Eddie about Las Cruces, I think its pretty bland. In my 5 years here, I attribute it to the generations of oppression, powerlessness, shameful education, poverty and child welfare statistics, which probably also explains being among the worst for suicide for over 20 years.
People here have no hope, no opportunity, no voice, so they are very apathetic.
For this size city, its incredible how many people are born, raised and die without knowing much outside of here. And the way they make local policy decisions here is incredible: its basically the same local people coming up with their own failed ideas, over and over. Like they they dont know anything exists beyond the county line, no expertise they could seek out or at least learn about, no collaboration with the rest of the state. They continue to talk about their success as they continue to fail.
I know this sounds like a lot of whining, and I will stop, but im just always bewildered at whats going on here. Definitely no actual change.
Its a dead zone for me. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I'm going back west.
Pretty bland?! Cruces is extremely bland. For most, boring too. When a city's foremost activity is a farmer's market you can safely assume there's not a lot going on!

Having said that, I love it here. For me, the trade-offs are worth it.

Now if we can just get a single good grocery store in town.....

Old 02-16-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstosea View Post
Pretty bland?! Cruces is extremely bland. For most, boring too. When a city's foremost activity is a farmer's market you can safely assume there's not a lot going on!

Having said that, I love it here. For me, the trade-offs are worth it.

Now if we can just get a single good grocery store in town.....
I am grateful for Sprouts! At least this town has this store. But on the whole, you are correct. I heard chatter that Sprouts was interested in targeting a second location up by Rinconanda. But that chatter seemed to dissipate after COVID. Nonetheless that would be a perfect area for a second store.

I have been to Whole Foods on Mesa St in ELP many times. But, as everyone knows, when you pay $85 for two bags of groceries, something is messed up.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:55 PM

37 posts, read 39,145 times
We have Aldi stores up here in WI, and I'm really hoping they'll move into NM soon. Low-cost good produce and most of their brands are as good or better than name-brand. Their produce is half the cost of my regular grocery store. They don't franchise, so there needs to be enough interest before they'll build in a new market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces