Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2021, 03:26 PM

65 posts, read 206,343 times

Advertisements

We are back to looking into a move to Las Cruces. Im hesitant. Reading up the town has been having bad articles with regard to crime and safety in general. Husband is hooked. He’s been out west numerous times. I have not. I worry about the water situation and health care….specifically cardiac care. Checked out homes currently for sale and the prices are high like everywhere else. Now looking at rental apts. which rental communities in the area are considered better than others? After seeing what’s on the real estate market we will wait it out and rent. Any input is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 04:19 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,103 times
The newer Sonoma Ranch area is a good area for rentals although perhaps more expensive than some other areas. The areas east of Telshor are also pretty good. My sister lived in a large condo complex, Casitas at Morning Star?, but with different buildings and entrances to the outside. Gated with two pools and exercise rooms. She had a very small patio area but most of the grounds are common areas. Some own but there are also rentals handled by the complex office

Now she has moved nearby and is renting a townhouse/condo off Northrise - 2BR/2BA for less than $1000. A smaller complex but gated and a pool which I like better. She found it on Craigslist and is renting directly from the owner. Both complexes had nice views of the Organ Mountains and are close to big box stores.

Personally I prefer some of the older parts of town for their character but Sonoma Ranch is probably safer and better for newcomers until you get to know the city. But I don't see many rentals in Las Cruces on Craigslist right now and there will be less once college starts. Maybe more rentals will be available after the rent moratorium ends and all of the evictions get settled.

My mother had problems finding a cardiologist. Avoid Dr. Leon.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 07-11-2021 at 04:34 PM..

Old 07-12-2021, 01:16 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
Regarding crime and safety in this city, someone once told me: "As long as you don't take drugs, you don't hang with anyone who takes drugs, and as long as you don't deal drugs, you will be safe." I think that's actually a very good rule of thumb to go by.

Try looking for rentals at Casas De Soledad, by Golf Club Road, off of Sonoma Springs Boulevard. It's gated with a pool, fitness center and clubhouse.

https://www.casasdesoledadapt.com/

Old 07-21-2021, 09:18 PM

565 posts, read 472,456 times
I'd like to add another safety tip to mike0421's comments: Don't go to the Chucky's on Thorpe Road. Go to the Circle K across the street.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:40 PM

32 posts, read 47,318 times
Water is not an issue here, I mean like certain parts of the southwest. The water comes from underground sources so river levels only affect farmers. As far as crime goes? Just like any town I’ve ever lived in, it depends where you live in that town. We’ve been out here two years now and live in the Sonoma Ranch area and have not had any issues. And has been said before, it’s all about who you associate with. There’s lots of retirees here, lots of military brass living here spending their pensions. There’s a NASA facility, Army bases and of course a big border patrol presence. As the retirees move in, the medical options improve. The homes have gone up since we’ve been here and like you, have decided to wait it out and see if there are some corrections coming. We rent near Sonoma Ranch, lots of places to rent from in this area and they all are safe and quiet, some homes and condos for rent too. We like it here because we travel a lot and it’s a day’s drive from all the southwest places we visit (San Diego, Denver, Vegas, Grand Canyon) and it’s small enough where it’s not a grind to get around but big enough to have the necessities. The weather is great and the surrounding areas are beautiful. The Organ Mountains have become my playground and most of the time the trails are empty (at least the ones I hike).

Old 08-22-2021, 12:18 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,175,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcrow46 View Post
Water is not an issue here, I mean like certain parts of the southwest. The water comes from underground sources so river levels only affect farmers.
But how are the aquifers being recharged? There isn't a limitless supply of underground water; in parts of CA, the land has sunk over a foot from subsidence from aquifer depletion.

Palm Springs has a system for recharging its aquifers with waste water. What is Las Cruces doing? With the population growing, the water deficit will only get worse. The water issue is the main thing keeping me from seriously considering moving there.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:26 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
But how are the aquifers being recharged? There isn't a limitless supply of underground water; in parts of CA, the land has sunk over a foot from subsidence from aquifer depletion.

Palm Springs has a system for recharging its aquifers with waste water. What is Las Cruces doing? With the population growing, the water deficit will only get worse. The water issue is the main thing keeping me from seriously considering moving there.
Here is a storybook map and understanding how groundwater systems get recharged:

https://nmt.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cas...115c22795593f0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
View detailed profiles of: