Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2022, 06:56 PM

19 posts, read 35,279 times

Advertisements

I'm a 56 year old dude looking at Las Cruces as a potential future home. I've never been there, but it appeals to me on multiple levels, based upon my research thus far.

Having said that, I am concerned that the dominant culture there might be "drunk college kid culture," which would be a big negative for me as a card-carrying, somewhat boring adult. I've lived in a college town before (Columbia, MO) and didn't care for it - even in my younger days - as the whole town seemed to revolve around a beer-keg.

I like ADULT culture much better.

Would I feel out of place in Las Cruces at my age?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 08:50 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Not at all Jeff. Las Cruces is an oddity in that the area around the college is not as appealing as many parts of the outer perimeter (Talavera, Sonoma Ranch, Picacho Hills subdivisions). Most of those who live in the more prominent parts of the city hail from elsewhere, and I have sold to many retirees. I have been to Columbia Missouri and it couldn't be more different from here. In most college towns the fabric of the city is built around the university. That's not the case here.

Old 06-11-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Not at all Jeff. Las Cruces is an oddity in that the area around the college is not as appealing as many parts of the outer perimeter (Talavera, Sonoma Ranch, Picacho Hills subdivisions). Most of those who live in the more prominent parts of the city hail from elsewhere, and I have sold to many retirees. I have been to Columbia Missouri and it couldn't be more different from here. In most college towns the fabric of the city is built around the university. That's not the case here.
Thanks for the great feedback! You've confirmed my initial impression of Las Cruces, based upon videos I've seen of it. That, unlike Columbia, which tends to feel like one big drunken frat-party, Las Cruces appeared to NOT feel like "just" a college town. Much like another college town I used to live in - Springfield, MO, which, even with a large university there, did NOT feel like a college town, but rather more like a family kinda town.

Las Cruces is looking like more and more of a contender for sure.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:09 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffconsiglio View Post
Thanks for the great feedback! You've confirmed my initial impression of Las Cruces, based upon videos I've seen of it. That, unlike Columbia, which tends to feel like one big drunken frat-party, Las Cruces appeared to NOT feel like "just" a college town. Much like another college town I used to live in - Springfield, MO, which, even with a large university there, did NOT feel like a college town, but rather more like a family kinda town.

Las Cruces is looking like more and more of a contender for sure.
You won't have a Booche's or Shakespeare's pizza like Columbia. We have two small brewpubs on Main Street, and Zeffiro's next to Main, but that small stretch of Main is about as close as you get to South 9th Street in Columbia. And downtown Main St is nowhere close to NMSU, and isn't engaged in by NMSU students.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
You won't have a Booche's or Shakespeare's pizza like Columbia. We have two small brewpubs on Main Street, and Zeffiro's next to Main, but that small stretch of Main is about as close as you get to South 9th Street in Columbia. And downtown Main St is nowhere close to NMSU, and isn't engaged in by NMSU students.
If you know Booche's and Shakespeare's pizza - both of which are landmark eateries and gathering places in Columbia - then you must've spent some time there. I haven't lived there in over 22 years, but my brother still does, and I believe those two places are still in business. And Columbia never seems to change much overall.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:59 AM

35 posts, read 39,292 times
As a 66 yr. old retiree that moved to Las Cruces last August I will concur that the city is not in kind of demographic imbalance due to the presence of NMSU. One of my reasons for picking Las Cruces was the fact that a university was here. The campus itself, along with the myriad of programs and events it hosts, makes it a true treasure in this community.

I've begun volunteering and I have had the pleasure of working alongside a number of graduate students outside the campus area. Best of luck as you narrow your choices for your next residence.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:29 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I'm very well aware of Columbia and the way the university tends to permeate almost everything. I lived near there 37 years and got my master's degree there. My brief experience with Las Cruces on and off campus seemed very different. The campus seemed to be some distance from the heart of town. My guess is that there isn't much of a comparison as far as the "vibe" goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
View detailed profiles of: