Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2023, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 783 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating relocating to Las Cruces. I have lived my entire life where grass and trees were abundant. However, I am getting old and yard work is not on my list of 'things I like to do'. The rock landscaping is appealing because it seems to be low maintenance. What I need to know is what is the maintenance for rock landscaping. Will I be weeding a lot? Raking rocks to move them back in place after a rain? Give me a realistic picture of what it takes to keep it looking nice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 09:05 AM

24 posts, read 34,770 times
If the xeriscaping on your property was done right, all you'll have to do is turn on the water emitter. If you have it hooked up to a timer, you won't have to do anything.

Old 03-17-2023, 01:43 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Las Cruces has grass, trees, shrubs, bushes, cactus, yucca, wildflowers, weeds, you name it. There is more to landscaping than "rocks".

Whatever the landscaping, weeds can always come up. Many people use landscape fabrics under gravel areas to prevent weeds. Gravel does move around and you want to keep sidewalks and driveways clear of it, but it's not a big issue. A stiff broom usually does the trick. You can rake gravel if you're going for a Zen garden look. ;-)

Old 03-17-2023, 03:40 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
I have rocks in my front yard (grass in back and gravel on the sides). I will use Round Up and treat my front yard every 3 months or so, and that kills them. Monsoon season here last year, really, really brought up more weeds than any other time in my memory. But Round Up kills them within a day.

Old 10-12-2023, 02:58 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
If you got rocks, you're good. I see people rake their rocks in their yards all the time. If you wanted to be super industrious you could plant a few cactus that never need watering. The whole idea of this is to get the yard set up like you want it and never have to fuss w/ it again as long as you live. The polar opposite is a yard in Florida or any city in the South, where every day is a constant battle to fight things back. One of my favorite landscaping ideas there is the tree that is growing on someone's roof in the drain gutter channel.

Old 10-13-2023, 12:19 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Weeds will eventually come up no matter how good the weed cloth is. Dust in the Wind will blow into your gravel and eventually provide enough soil for weeds to germinate. You'll need to pull weeds or spray them periodically. I use the persistent roundup and it lasts most of the year, with just a few weeds here and there to pull.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:26 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofBlue View Post
We are contemplating relocating to Las Cruces. I have lived my entire life where grass and trees were abundant. However, I am getting old and yard work is not on my list of 'things I like to do'. The rock landscaping is appealing because it seems to be low maintenance. What I need to know is what is the maintenance for rock landscaping. Will I be weeding a lot? Raking rocks to move them back in place after a rain? Give me a realistic picture of what it takes to keep it looking nice. Thanks!
If you use rock landscaping you have to do something to discourage weeds. Do not use that black plastic under an inch of dirt, it deteriorates and is useless after 2 years. It is better if you dig out 2 inches of the soil, soak the ground in white vinegar, then put 2 inches of clean sand down before you lay your rocks. After that you may find a few weeds pop up after a couple of years but they are usually easy to pull if you stay on top of it.

There are other materials that are used as "weed guard" but they don't work either. You can add a few yucca or cactus to your rock garden if you want some low maintenance flowering plants. Both bloom in the spring. If you plant cactus make sure it is local so you don't have to water it. Some exotic cactus needs more water than the local cactus. Another nice plant is agave, it does veery well in Las Cruces. You do need to give it a bit of water occassionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
View detailed profiles of: