Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 PM

96 posts, read 314,628 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone~I have read the Forums on City Data for many years but have never posted 'til recently when I posted on the Tucson AZ forum. I appreciate responses of all kind and I am looking forward to all of your great input and advice!

This is what I recently posted on the Tucson forum, where I have received some great replies (and I've "met" some great people):

Here's the thing...my husband and I have been in Michigan now 3 years (work related-his) and I cannot wait to leave. I am miserable in every way, especially weather-wise. Too much snow, too much freezing cold...tired of it all.

We are beginning to explore reasonable alternatives for semi-retirement in a few years and I am stuck on a couple of issues. I'm hoping you all can shed some light on my dilemma.

My husband and I, although in our early 50's (he 54, me 51) are not the type of people who I think will do well in a 50's+ retirement community. We are very independent, kinda forward thinking (in some ways-smile), always been into alternative music, alternative film, art, theater, multi-ethnic food (tho' we're not food snobs), travel, being around all types of people, etc, etc, etc...you get the picture.

I lived in Manhattan for 12 years 'til moving to Michigan and I never thought I would leave Manhattan. My husband is born & raised in New Jersey but we've both lived in a few different places. We are in NO WAY what I would consider to be uptight, elite Northeasterners (no offense intended again to anyone). I'm not looking to duplicate Manhattan-smile but here are my questions:

I know it's been asked a million times but weather aside, do you think we'd fair better in Tucson or Albuquerque???

We've owned a timeshare in Santa Fe for 10 yrs 'cause we loved NM so much when we first visited there in 1999. We have NOT spent much time in Albuquerque (we will be traveling there later in the year). Me, I'm partial to Tucson, tho' I've not been to Tucson in many years. In all due respect to those that love the place, Santa Fe is WAY TOOOOO PRETENTIOUS for me but my husband likes NM a lot...he'll be visiting SoCal and Tucson for the first time with me in May '09...I've been to both areas several times;

So, In my responses, someone sent me a private message and said, "Why don't you consider Las Cruces New Mexico?"

I've been reading about Las Cruces over the past few days and it seems like it might be a perfect choice for John (my husband) & I.

In a nutshell, this is the short-list of what John & I are looking forward to in early retirement:

1) God-given simplicity, natural beauty, peaceful and pleasant surroundings,

2) kind & warm NON-MATERIALISTIC people,

3) a nice home with a little land for my animals (dogs) to enjoy...my cat stays indoors,

4) a place that embraces simple values, low-keyed living,

5) GOOD HEALTH CARE

6) warm weather

7) eclectic living (different types of folks)

8) some proximity to art, culture, theater, ethnic eats

What do you think??? Can you give me some comparisons between Las Cruces & Tucson (weather aside)?

Thanks again in advance to all who reply!

Toni Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,398 times
I like Las Cruces, I grew up there. But if you have lived in and enjoyed Manhattan, Las Cruces is just going to be too small for you. There's ethnic food, if you like lots of Mex/New Mex, and a few (very few) Asian, Mediterranean, upscale gourmet, etc. type restaurants. Las Cruces has NMSU which offers some art, culture and theater not available in many other cities its size, but Tucson has U of A and much more. Health care is adequate in Las Cruces, but much better in Tucson. Las Cruces has warm weather, but Tucson has warmer weather. Tucson is probably much more eclectic than Las Cruces.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:37 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,994 times
Why not come out and visit both places. They are about 4 hrs apart in driving. You are in Michigan now and thats sure different than Manhatten, so that should not be the factor. One thing about Las Cruces is that you can head into the mountains in about 2 hrs in the summer and be more comfortable weather wise.

Just a thought, good luck on the search

Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 AM

180 posts, read 457,359 times
I personally like Tucson much better. More resources, jobs etc. Much more advanced in "thinking" etc. Weather is GREAT in wintertime. Heat is a bit high, but not humid. They don't get the winds nearly as badly as we do here. I wish I could afford to live there, I would!

Check the outlying areas. Not Green Valley as it is definitely of the "older" crowd you mention you do NOT fit in. Mostly grey heads and canes.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
I am a transplant from the NYC metro area also in my early 50s.

My feeling about Manhattan now is 'been there, done that.'
Of course Las Cruces doesn't offer all of the 'big-ticket amenities' that Manhattan does, but from my perspective, it certainly does meet most of your criteria. And, if you can't find something in Las Cruces, El Paso is only 45 minutes away - no different than traveling into Manhattan from the boroughs or 'burbs.

I've met many other transplants from the northeast who agree that moving here has been life-changing in a very positive way.

I don't know much about Tucson, my only impression came from driving through it on my way from Tempe, AZ to Las Cruces - but, from what I saw from the highway, it has much more of a 'city' feel to it than Las Cruces does. Our primary 'skyline' comes from the wonderful mountains - a view I never tire of seeing.

But, of course, you have to come visit and decide for yourself

Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I like Las Cruces, I grew up there. But if you have lived in and enjoyed Manhattan, Las Cruces is just going to be too small for you. There's ethnic food, if you like lots of Mex/New Mex, and a few (very few) Asian, Mediterranean, upscale gourmet, etc. type restaurants. Las Cruces has NMSU which offers some art, culture and theater not available in many other cities its size, but Tucson has U of A and much more. Health care is adequate in Las Cruces, but much better in Tucson. Las Cruces has warm weather, but Tucson has warmer weather. Tucson is probably much more eclectic than Las Cruces.
Thank you SO MUCH for your thoughtful and honest opinion! I really appreciate that a lot! Yes, I did (and do, to some extent) love Manhattan but you know, as life goes on and one ages (becomes old-smile) priorities change, A LOT!

But I so appreciate your honesty. It sounds like a great place and I think next time we're in Santa Fe, my husband John and I sill DEFINITELY check out Las Cruces!

Toni Lee

Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Why not come out and visit both places. They are about 4 hrs apart in driving. You are in Michigan now and thats sure different than Manhatten, so that should not be the factor. One thing about Las Cruces is that you can head into the mountains in about 2 hrs in the summer and be more comfortable weather wise.

Just a thought, good luck on the search
I really appreciate your comments. Thanks for taking out the time to post! Yes, my husband John and I will probably be at our Santa Fe timeshare sometime later this year...maybe even for Christmas-time (long way off, I know) and we ARE planning to make the drive to Las Cruces.

I posted under the Tucson thread that we ARE planning to visit all of these places, especially important for John, who has never been to Tucson. While my gut tells me that he will like Tucson (and probably Las Cruces), if he doesn't, well, that will be it with Tucson.

Truthfully, my husband lived here in southeastern Michigan for nearly 1 1/2 yrs before we decided that it was time for me to join him. I kinda came kickin' and screamin' and the adjustment has been VERY VERY difficult for me. I was really all set in Manhattan (apartments are another story...housing is a nightmare there unless you have tons of money...but I had a great job, lots of friends, family, good medical care). So, I didn't want to start all over, so to speak.

Also, I've lived in a few different places and I do not find the folks here in this part of Michigan to be all that friendly...it's been hard for me to make friends and I'm a pretty nice person (I think ). We've been here 3 yrs now and I've not made ONE friend

Anyhow, thanks again for the input...we WILL be visiting Las Cruces and I cannot wait!

Toni Lee

Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLynn View Post
I personally like Tucson much better. More resources, jobs etc. Much more advanced in "thinking" etc. Weather is GREAT in wintertime. Heat is a bit high, but not humid. They don't get the winds nearly as badly as we do here. I wish I could afford to live there, I would!

Check the outlying areas. Not Green Valley as it is definitely of the "older" crowd you mention you do NOT fit in. Mostly grey heads and canes.
"Grey heads and canes." That's PRETTY FUNNY although I'm probably heading in that direction...no, only kidding, I hope

WOW...the folks here have been so helpful...thank you so much!

I've become a bit skeptical and wary of the Tucson move 'cause so many people on the Tucson Board seem to DISLIKE living there so much! It's kinda weird and not at all what I would have expected. Many, many folks seem to bash the area...lots of talk about heat, bleakness (which I don't get at all), ugly & spawling housing and CRIME!

Oh well...I really appreciate your comments. More and more, it sounds like Tucson MAY be a better fit. I think my husband and I will visit Las Cruces at some point, too.

Thanks again for taking the time to post!

Toni Lee

Old 01-06-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I am a transplant from the NYC metro area also in my early 50s.

My feeling about Manhattan now is 'been there, done that.'
Of course Las Cruces doesn't offer all of the 'big-ticket amenities' that Manhattan does, but from my perspective, it certainly does meet most of your criteria. And, if you can't find something in Las Cruces, El Paso is only 45 minutes away - no different than traveling into Manhattan from the boroughs or 'burbs.

I've met many other transplants from the northeast who agree that moving here has been life-changing in a very positive way.

I don't know much about Tucson, my only impression came from driving through it on my way from Tempe, AZ to Las Cruces - but, from what I saw from the highway, it has much more of a 'city' feel to it than Las Cruces does. Our primary 'skyline' comes from the wonderful mountains - a view I never tire of seeing.

But, of course, you have to come visit and decide for yourself
Thank you for taking the time out to post. I hear you about Manhattan...having lived there for 12 years, it's great (I guess) but it all depends on one's perspective and what one is looking for out of life (as you so clearly stated).

As I look back, there is something a bit insane about putting out nearly $2000 a month on a 350 sq foot apartment in Gramercy Park and all that comes along with it...no closets, really no kitchen (I think I may have cooked 1 or 2 meals there in 12 years)...water leaks all the time, cockroaches (of course), inadequate heat (I kept my little stove running ALL winter and I still froze), REALLY HUGE parking dilemmas (I owned a car for the entire 12 years), crazy neighbors (one neighbor constantly took the lightbulbs out of the lighting on the front stoop to "save energy"), etc etc.

You need LOTS and LOTS of money to live well in Manhattan...something I do not have at this time in my life...never did (thus the aforementioned apartment conditions-smile).

Anyhow, thanks somuch for the input...can't wait to visit Las Cruces!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,670 times
1) God-given simplicity, natural beauty, peaceful and pleasant surroundings.

Yes, it is amazing to see the Organ Mountains rise out of the desert floor.

2) kind & warm NON-MATERIALISTIC people,

Yes, people in the area will give you the shirt off their back.

3) a nice home with a little land for my animals (dogs) to enjoy...my cat stays indoors,

I grew up on 5 acres on the East Mesa.

4) a place that embraces simple values, low-keyed living,

Yup.

5) GOOD HEALTH CARE

I would say decent but not great. For the major stuff you have to go to El Paso or Albuquerque.

6) warm weather

Yes. Gets a little cold in the winter but no where near Michigan cold.

7) eclectic living (different types of folks)

Yes, but not as much as Taos or Santa Fe.

8) some proximity to art, culture, theater, ethnic eats

Yes. Obviously not NY or LA.

What do you think??? Can you give me some comparisons between Las Cruces & Tucson (weather aside)?

In the good sense, Las Cruces is what Tucson was 30 years ago (So I'm told).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces