Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times

Advertisements

By Diana M. Alba/Sun-News reporter
Posted: 04/01/2009 12:00:00 AM MDT

LAS CRUCES — Nearly 120 drivers could be cited following the first day of enforcement for the city of Las Cruces' new red light and speeding cameras Monday, according to preliminary figures from the police department. The story continues: 118 violations already recorded by city's red-light cameras - Las Cruces Sun-News

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 02:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Question is "who owns the cameras"?

Is the city leasing the cameras?

Who owns the software operating the cameras?

Does the original owners/software/operators get a percentage of the fines paid?

It is against the LAW for a private enterprise to profit from the fines paid.

Check with Orange County Calif for similiar info on their camera usage.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:44 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Just curious . . . what law would that be?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:24 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
I was one of those who received a warning recently: 42 in a 35 going through the Lohman-Walnut interchange. I guess I am going to have to slow down! Truthfully, the way traffic is on Lohman these days, it's very difficult to go that fast most of the day, unless you are trying to beat a red light. The additional cameras I think are at Solano and Lohman, and the big cash cow is going to be the impending Lohman-Telshor interchange.

I will slow down to 35 before I part with my money. That said, I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea for town council to consider raising the speed limit on Lohman to 40 mph.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Question is "who owns the cameras"?
Redflex Systems Inc

Quote:
Is the city leasing the cameras?
Las Cruces has a five year contract with Redflex Systems Inc. I assume it is a similar setup which Albuquerque has used for over five years with Redflex. I believe it is a form of lease. I am not an attorney. I did not read the entire contract. Why do your questions look like a fishing trip?

Quote:
Who owns the software operating the cameras?
Owned and developed by Redflex Systems Inc.

Quote:
Does the original owners/software/operators get a percentage of the fines paid?
Redflex Systems Inc. Not really, they get a set fee.

Quote:
No, I do not believe it is against the law. Please provide veriviable proof that it is illegal.

Quote:
Check with Orange County Calif for similiar info on their camera usage.
Redflex Systems Inc currently has contracts with 72 cities in California. But does your question have to do with New Mexico?

Rich

Old 04-01-2009, 06:49 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,039 times
Sound Off and other places are full of outrage about these cameras and the speeding thing being added to "red light" monitoring.
I'm sure I'll be a candidate for a speeding ticket at some point, and I won't like it one bit if/when I get one.
But...drivers in and around this town is terrible, terrible, terrible, about red lights. When first here as a resident I was shocked to see cars and pickups rolling thru obviously red lights without even a hint of hesitation. My wife and I learned early on that if you're the first in line when the light goes green, do NOT move into the intersection without looking both ways for idiots who aren't going to stop.

Team this up with the high rate of uninsured drivers and it's clear there is misery moving down the road headed your way.
The arguements about not being able to "afford" to pay tickets or purchase insurance and how this is going to be a hardship for people are a huge steaming pile of crap. How are these things not part and parcel of owning and driving a car?
Ya wanna drive a car, insure it. Ya don't want a ticket, drive it correctly and safely.
Pretty simple.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
I read where one city in Orange County was told they were in violation of the Red Traffic cameras and they still continue to issue tickets along with some other cities.

Tried to find the article with no luck.

My point was that they "Redflex" if correct was getting a % of the fines which was illegal for a private concern to benefit from city collected revenue via taxpayers fines. This was stated in the article I read.

Take it from there. If Las Cruces has the same equipment as Orange County Calif. then the problem wil be similiar. No can of worms yet. The software is the item that can be manipulated for more money.

Steve

Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 PM

102 posts, read 586,468 times
Redflex operates these cameras all over the country they have them in several cities in Washington State where I am from and the first ones here were installed about a decade ago already. If there is manipulation I would expect they would have been busted a long time ago. I don't like these cameras either, but the fact is: if people didn't run red lights we wouldn't have these damm cameras AND if drivers quit running red lights you would see red flex go out of business!. Any bets on that happening?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I read where one city in Orange County was told they were in violation of the Red Traffic cameras and they still continue to issue tickets along with some other cities.

Tried to find the article with no luck.
Now isn't that a shame.....

Quote:
My point was that they "Redflex" if correct was getting a % of the fines which was illegal for a private concern to benefit from city collected revenue via taxpayers fines. This was stated in the article I read.
An article which you can't find. Now isn't that a shame.....

Quote:
Take it from there. If Las Cruces has the same equipment as Orange County Calif. then the problem wil be similiar. No can of worms yet. The software is the item that can be manipulated for more money.

Steve
Las Cruces is in New Mexico. Albuquerque is in New Mexico. You are talking about a situation in California and about an unknown law. Duh. Sorry, but I answered your questions, and you did not answer my questions. So Duh, I wonder what I should think....

Since I have been called rude in these forums, how about if I become polite and just ignore your posts, since you haven't posted here in the New Mexico fourms before anyway, I consider you a casual drive-by...

Rich

Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Just curious . . . what law would that be?
just check the many red light camera sites , been proven when challenged it is hard for the "PRIVATE " co . to prove that you have any liability to them . and as i have stated and proved many times all you do is demand a verified complaint from the camera co. and the so called ticket goes away . A big waste of taxpayer money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces