Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times

Advertisements

Interesting. Some people need to understand that "fluoride occurs naturally in our water".....

Water Authority cuts fluoride from city water
Posted at: 04/11/2012 7:49 PM
By: Jill Galus, KOB Eyewitness News 4

Fluoride is no longer being added to Albuquerque's drinking water. City officials argued supplemental fluoride is not necessary to meet current standards, but a local dentist said they should think twice. "It is virtually indisputable that fluoride reduces, drastically reduces, the incidents of tooth decay in the general population," Dr. Paul Dunn said in the past few decades, the number of patients he sees with dental problems, from tooth aches to cavities, has dramatically decreased. "A lot of this is due to municipal water fluoridation," he said.

Dollar for dollar, Dunn said supplemental water fluoridation is the single most cost-effective public health measure to reduce dental disease.

Morris said under current standards, they do not need to add fluoride to Albuquerque's water. "People need to understand that fluoride occurs naturally in our water and we're achieving the level, 0.7 parts per million, that is right in-line with what is being recommended right now with C.D.C (Center for Disease Control) and E.P.A. (Environmental Protection Agency)."

ENTIRE ARTICLE: Water Authority cuts fluoride from city water | KOB.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:08 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Interesting. Some people need to understand that "fluoride occurs naturally in our water".....
And still other people need to understand that just because something occurs naturally in water doesn't make it healthy. Uranium, Arsenic, Lead, and e.coli all occur naturally in various surface and ground waters in New Mexico, and I don't want those in my water either.

Quote:
City officials argued.... but a local dentist said
The funny thing is, if they had diametrically opposed positions about what the local dentist should or should not put in his dental office, I'd still go with the city officials.

Quote:
"It is virtually indisputable that fluoride reduces, drastically reduces, the incidents of tooth decay in the general population,"
It is highly in dispute, which is why I take this dentist's opinion with even more grains of salt.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:33 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
And still other people need to understand that just because something occurs naturally in water doesn't make it healthy. Uranium, Arsenic, Lead, and e.coli all occur naturally in various surface and ground waters in New Mexico, and I don't want those in my water either.

The funny thing is, if they had diametrically opposed positions about what the local dentist should or should not put in his dental office, I'd still go with the city officials.

It is highly in dispute, which is why I take this dentist's opinion with even more grains of salt.
So are you proposing to filter naturally occurring fluoride from the water or what?

Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
So are you proposing to filter naturally occurring fluoride from the water or what?
Where it exceeds levels safe for small children, sure.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Well, the EPA allows a maximum level of 4mg/l and recommends a maximum level of 2mg/l.
http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesr...onsAnswers.pdf

The highest level detected in the Las Cruces 2011 water report is 0.48mg/l
http://www.las-cruces.org/Department...terRep11A.ashx

Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
The highest level detected in the Las Cruces 2011 water report is 0.48mg/l
http://www.las-cruces.org/Department...terRep11A.ashx
This number is in Las Cruces' source water and doesn't specify whether that's post-treatment or not. (Addition of Iodine, Bleach, and other disinfectants, etc. aren't showing up and I'm pretty sure they add at least some of those).

Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
This number is in Las Cruces' source water and doesn't specify whether that's post-treatment or not. (Addition of Iodine, Bleach, and other disinfectants, etc. aren't showing up and I'm pretty sure they add at least some of those).
It does, in fact, specify it is before treatment.

"The Source Water Assessment by NMED Drinking Water Bureau provides baseline
data about the quality of our water before it is treated and distributed to
consumers."

Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
It does, in fact, specify it is before treatment.
Thanks for locating that; It didn't do a very good job making that clear.

Unfortunately, even after poring through the last year's worth of Las Cruces RFP's, I've located no data on whether Las Cruces even further adds fluoride to municipal water in the treatment stage, let alone how much.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 PM

I found a comment online that Las Cruces no longer adds fluoride to the water but I wasn't able to verify that.

Even if they do add it, I don't see why they would make the total level above the 0.7mg/l recommended to prevent cavities.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 12,129 times
Quit being lazy and brush your teeth. If you like fluoride in your mouth, go right ahead and use fluoride toothpaste. No need to contaminate everyone's drinking water with toxic substances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces