Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:42 PM

146 posts, read 440,654 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! DH and I are on our way back to Iowa from an extended vacation in Alamo.... and I'm going to start packing the day after we get back... which will be tomorrow. LOL!!

I love Alamo - for the friendliness and small town feel. LC and EP are great to visit, but I'm a small town/country gal!

As for specific dates, we don't have that - we have a couple of trips to make back east - nephew graduating from Army ATI in April, and my daughter is graduating from HS in June, and off to college in August in Maine, and she wants us to take her to college..... after that, we can get back, pack the rental truck and get south before the snow flies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:30 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,025,627 times
Cindy, have a safe trip back. We will see ya when you get here!

As for snow in Alamo - not this year.. but we have had snow, but usually melts by noon. Head up to the Mts for a chance of snow and sledding or skiing.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:55 AM

146 posts, read 440,654 times
BTW, it was in the 60's/70's/80's when we were there-last week of Feb and first of March. It was a little warmer than normal, but I'll take it!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,285,196 times
I live in Alamo and like the smaller town, less traffic, the people are relatively friendly and I think it is cooler here a few degrees than El Paso for sure, probably only because there is not as much traffic. You get the small town feel but El Paso is only 90 miles away and Las Cruces is 60 miles away and between the 2 you can get pretty much anything you need. You also have the option of driving either 16 miles or 45 miles to much cooler weather if you chose.

The benefits to El Paso is that Texas has no state income tax but if you are buying a home you have to compensate with higher property taxes.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,887,457 times
[quote=ajzjmsmom;7787970]I live in Alamo and like the smaller town, less traffic, the people are relatively friendly and I think it is cooler here a few degrees than El Paso for sure, probably only because there is not as much traffic. You get the small town feel but El Paso is only 90 miles away and Las Cruces is 60 miles away and between the 2 you can get pretty much anything you need. You also have the option of driving either 16 miles or 45 miles to much cooler weather if you chose.

The benefits to El Paso is that Texas has no state income tax but if you are buying a home you have to compensate with higher property taxes.[/quote]

And I thought they were high in Midland. I cannot believe how high EP's taxes are now. I last looked in 1995....and then again in 2006. I was just shocked. Really!!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 7,954 times
Default Texas Property Taxes

El Paso has very high property taxes. Due to a lack of a state income tax, the state's municipalities makes it up in higher property taxes. Due to the pressing needs of growth-schools, streets, sanitation, etc, (also don't forget administration) the property tax on a 100 K starter home exceeds $2500 yearly. Compare that to less than $500 yearly on an average mobile home outside Las Cruces city limits, in the county. Of course you have to haul your own trash, or contract pickup, and maybe deal with dirt roads and no sidewalks and other niceties.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:27 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,397,086 times
I would go with Las Cruces.
It's in between the other two and offers a better overall quality of life.
If you want to get away to a bigger city or outdoor areas, its extremely easy to do from Las Cruces.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 8,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevelle View Post
El Paso has very high property taxes. Due to a lack of a state income tax, the state's municipalities makes it up in higher property taxes. Due to the pressing needs of growth-schools, streets, sanitation, etc, (also don't forget administration) the property tax on a 100 K starter home exceeds $2500 yearly. Compare that to less than $500 yearly on an average mobile home outside Las Cruces city limits, in the county. Of course you have to haul your own trash, or contract pickup, and maybe deal with dirt roads and no sidewalks and other niceties.
haha thats nothing! My neighbor is paying $1000 A MONTH in property taxes!! He is moving out. I am paying about $600 a month.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:31 PM

43 posts, read 130,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryrush View Post
well, i was born and raised in alamogordo. both las cruces and alamogordo are about the same. Alamgordo is more for the people that are interested in the small town, no crime, everybody knows everybody feel. And Cruces is only 60 miles away. In El Paso you have to deal with the horrible smell, and seeing dirty Juarez 50 feet away from you. El Paso is a really big city, so if you don't mind dealing with the traffic, the smell, and all the illegal aliens then it is for you. Hope all this stuff helps, let me know if you need any more info!

Juuarez makes up a big population my friend and El Paso's economy depends 100 percent on Mexico, do research my friend to see who crosses the border and who shops most in el paso, be literate not just one more of those mcdonald's unskilled illiterate workers. If it was not for Mexico's middle and rich class, el paso would be nothing and you would not even have a regular job. When you go to a shopping center in el paso check license plates and see how many cars from Mexico you get.

So please do not just type stuff you do not know about, besides, your parents or grand parents or great grand parents or great great grand parents were illegal aliens my friend and this land used to belong to Mexico, so in this case you are more of an illegal alien than they are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces