Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:05 AM

35 posts, read 89,816 times

Advertisements

Yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:51 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmhatch View Post
These threads terrify me.
If you think this thread is terrifying, what would you have done if you were at your computer and you glance up and there is a giant roach on your wall?
That happened to me during this last week.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
i've got to be honest.. been living in the nw since July 09.. july and aug 09, i saw probably 25 roaches a month outside.. this year, if ive seen 5, i'd be shocked.. then again, i've got a bug bully!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I have a bug bully too, and I actually made it on this weeks list.
I have sneaky giant roaches that are finding ways to sneak in my window upstairs!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:10 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantabeach View Post
Just read Buzz123's post. Yes, you will p more if you drink more water, but, someone there told me it had to do with being at a lower (or higher, can't remember) elevation. Is that true??
No. If you go way up in the mountains, say above 7,000 or 8,000 feet, it is true. But Las Vegas is only an average of 2,000 feet. Probably has something to do with atmospheric pressure, which plays havoc with closed containers ...such as your body, or your bag of chips. Lower pressure causes the gasses inside to expand, so I'd assume it would blow up a bladder too. Hikers get what is called hiker's gas or mountain gas. Embarrassing, but it helps you power up hills ...sort of like the after burner on a jet.

I do know that you'll get dehydrated faster the higher you go, and it is important to drink lots of water at high elevations to stave off altitude sickness. But 2,000 feet isn't that high. BTW: Never drink within 24 hours of hiking a mountain as it dehydrates you.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr View Post
We just moved within the same zip (89134).

Our previous house had scorpions.

This new house (in gated community with mature landscaping or grass) has NO scorpions that I have seen, but has spiders.

Bulwark just came by last month, but them damned spiders are still there.

When we were at Mountain's Edge...there was everything! scorpions, ants, spiders, red necks, EVERYTHING!
Red necks? Que es esto?

I've noticed that we seem to have eco-zones in the Valley, where you'll find certain critters in one but not another. Anybody else notice that, or am I nuts? Don't answer that last thing.

Roaches have dirty feets, but they won't hurt you. There are probably only four or five insects at the most that cause any harm, and the only ones that might put you in the hospital is the Bark Scorpion, or 1000 bee stings.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:28 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantabeach View Post
I am wondering if due to the low/no humidity, if there are less bugs in Las Vegas than on the humid, more muggy east coast?

I say this because when I visited Las Vegas last October, I don't really recall seeing any at all. Also didn't see any when I visited my daughter in San Diego. No flies, mosquitoes or anythng! Just curious.

Also, I seemed to have to use the restroom, if you will pardon me, more often. Thought maybe this may be due to drinking more in response to the climate and thus, "going" more. I apologize, but don't really know any other way to put it!

J
I see lots of palmetto bugs, along with the occasional house fly (saw one in the produce dept at Smith's the other day ) I read about a swarm of killer bees today on KTNV's website

Luckily no mosquitos, no fleas, no pesky type bugs like back in Florida. No dragonflies, and no love bugs.

Bugs? What are those?

But in all seriosity, the one bug here I am worried about is the africanized bee. I'm terrified of bees to begin with, but the fact that 95% of them here in Southern Nevada are africanized scares me to no end. Luckily I have not seen any bees yet out here, nowhere near as many as back east

Old 06-15-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I see lots of palmetto bugs, along with the occasional house fly (saw one in the produce dept at Smith's the other day ) I read about a swarm of killer bees today on KTNV's website

Luckily no mosquito's, no fleas, no pesky type bugs like back in Florida. No dragonflies, and no love bugs.

Bugs? What are those?
In your travels around town you should go out to Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs. There are four fishing ponds, and you will see dragonflies there. Also turtles, frogs, ducks, geese, cormorants, now and then a swan, red tail hawks, peacocks including a white one, coots, and horses complete with horse flies.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:40 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
In your travels around town you should go out to Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs. There are four fishing ponds, and you will see dragonflies there. Also turtles, frogs, ducks, geese, cormorants, now and then a swan, red tail hawks, peacocks including a white one, coots, and horses complete with horse flies.
Thats not too far from my house either. Does it cost anything to go there? I actually would like to visit it

Old 06-15-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Thats not too far from my house either. Does it cost anything to go there? I actually would like to visit it
Yes, it's the only city park that charges a fee. Being almost middle aged, I got the person of the older persuasion annual pass for $15. For you the annual pass is something like $40 or $45. A one time visit is $5 or $6 in a car, or about $1 for walk ins and bikes. I might volunteer to take you in on my pass if we could work out a convenient time. What the heck, I already broke my rule of not meeting anyone in person from the internet when I had Carl fix my car. He's a great guy by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas