Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 02:13 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times

Advertisements

You can look it at that way, if you want, or you can cry your eyes out because the value of your house has gone down the tubes because the Smith's down the street painted their house lime green, the Taylor's have two torn apart dilapatated cars in the drive, Foster's have 4 dogs chained in the back that bark all night and the Jeffers just put up a metal tool shed because now a brother and his six kids are living with them.

It's your choice. Preserve property values while living under some controls of a HOA or cavalierly do your own thing, being prepared to live with those consequences of "free will."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 02:39 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
I'll be having a house built, value doesn't matter. I won't be in town and I have no intentions of leaving it.
Those are fair points though.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,047 times
Just had a long talk w/ my Hoa office about
The rules they like to get you on.

They are condos - a units/bldg w/ total 140
Units in complex.
Fairly restrictive (only bamboo sun shades,
White backing on window treatment, no parking on st).
But the 3 big ones are -

Trash (approved containers w/ those 12 hr windows mentioned above) don't forget &
Leave a bag of trash @ your door!

Close garage doors. All the time.

Pets - even cats on a leash (no self respecting cat would agree) they, like most
Places, have homeless cat issue. I don't have a dog so didn't ask.

They patrol & neighbors report.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:22 AM

371 posts, read 940,885 times
so do most of you find HOA ok? or it depends ? I am getting a house and some got HOA, I guess no need to worry about HOA when I am looking to buy a house? just check the rules of the HOA before I get it I guess?

So what happens if you don't follow the rules? you just get fine? they kick you out of your house? I heard if your grass is too long they mow it and put a lien against your house?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Some HOA's are more lenient some super strict. Definitely read over their rules and regulations before you buy.

Our violation letters are worded nicely so you don't feel like they are threatening you-hey we know life gets in the way but take care of whatever. They will fine you but give you time to take care of the problem.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
so do most of you find HOA ok? or it depends ? I am getting a house and some got HOA, I guess no need to worry about HOA when I am looking to buy a house? just check the rules of the HOA before I get it I guess?

So what happens if you don't follow the rules? you just get fine? they kick you out of your house? I heard if your grass is too long they mow it and put a lien against your house?
Most, but not all, HOA are run by rational people. In fact most HOAs suffer from a lack of interest rather than too much of it.

After you review the HOA docs for obvious problems...pay more attention to the minutes of meetings than to the rules...though both are important...go bang on a couple of doors on a Saturday and ask your prospective neighbors what they think. Can't hurt and may save you a miserable experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: