Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:57 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times

Advertisements

HOAs span a wide range of requirements and capabilities.

At the low end there are $25 a year agriculture HOAs that do nothing but maintain the beds at the entrance to the tract.

At the other end there are the large, expensive tracts with guarded gates, patrols and recreational faciliites. These get up to $500 per month.

All the possibilities in between exist. There are certain broad classes though...

City streets no gates. Generally relatively light. NRS statutes prevent an HOA from controlling parking of automobies though they can have rules about boats and RVs. May or may not control front appearance...weeds etc.

Gated - Almost always controls parking. May get into driveway and garage usage.

Gated with rec facilities. Begin to get expensive and tends to more confining. Note that high density places are often the toughest.

Guard gated - Sometimes with security patrols. Most expensive and often pretty restrictive.

Note that you can have all of the restrictions of an HOA without the HOA. It is reasonably common for large lot developments with few homes to have very specific and confining requirements without an HOA - It is all in the CC&Rs. In at least one property the well agreement was a full blown set of CC&Rs with many restrictions.

Note that pet clauses are not uncommon. May range from very limited to very broad. Often designed more to do something about barkers. Weight and count limits occur though.

Small HOAs generally have a problem getting anyone to serve on the board. As they get bigger they often become politically active with competitive elections.

Quality varies much with the quality of the board members. Often appeals to those who are controlling and anal...which can make things difficult.

Most boards are actually reasonably permissive. The general rule is that it is OK if it does not annoy the neighbors. On most things be prepared to get agreement from your neighbors that it is OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,335 times
I would think that residential HOA's would be anathema to the libertarian Nevadan's.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
I would think that residential HOA's would be anathema to the libertarian Nevadan's.
Why?

Private contract entered into between willing participants

Runs with the land. But that is allowed in the libertarian scheme...

Old 06-19-2010, 06:37 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
http://maps.cityofhenderson.com/public/hoas/hoa.html

Like any thing .. pluses and minuses
Join in the fun and go to as many meetings as possible.
I think but am not sure .. that if your bid accepted you have access to HOA/Management info

I would be careful .. also .. check into back fees that the seller may owe .. could be a problem
I looked at a property and watched the HOA rice about 30% with the threat of another 25% because of capital expenses and unpaid fees
Nice link. Thanks. Anyone familiar with Anthem Highland rules and regulations? Thanks for any insight.
sk

Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,195 times
The other link lest you "search" individually for contact info ..
To see more than this you may need "access" ..
However .. sometimes you can find something posted with the right search .. not easy

This list is 35 pg single space

https://www.fntic.com/operations/fil...0003001627.pdf

Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,836,746 times
The rule I hate in our HOA is no BBQ (gas or charcoal).

Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,751 times
Are there any rules stating that a homeowner is limited to the amount of people (renters) occupying a two bedroom unit?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
I have a woodshop in the garage. The HOA hasn't given me guff about it. I only crack the garage door, and use my evaporative cooler to cool the garage so I can work. That being said, I do a lot more in from Fall-Spring than Summer.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
The rule I hate in our HOA is no BBQ (gas or charcoal).
Try talking to your neighbors and attend a meeting to change it? I guess you'll find out one way or another if you live in a dictatorship or a community with everyone's interests in mind.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Try talking to your neighbors and attend a meeting to change it? I guess you'll find out one way or another if you live in a dictatorship or a community with everyone's interests in mind.
That rule is common in a number of condos and is unlikely to change. The balconies or patios are inside the building outline. So an untended BBQ that gets out of control has a good shot at setting the building on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: