Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 PM

112 posts, read 316,235 times

Advertisements

From what I've read so far seems like GVH and Coronado are the favorite HS in the henderson area. Zoning is crazy though, seems like you never can tell which school you're going to get from year to year from what I'm reading. Any thoughts about Liberty, and while I am at it, Silverado hs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
I've not heard good nor bad about it, but I do remember there being a lot of controversy a few years ago when the Principal instituted a strict dress code in the school..above and beyond what the CCSD states as the district wide dress code.

Plain shirts only and plain pants if I recall (and a young lady who brought about a law suit against the CCSD because of it) and I don't know if that ruling is still in place or not.

If you google Liberty High School, Las Vegas...you might find the article from the local news.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 18,914 times
The school is as motivated as the student is. If the student doesn't not apply themselves then they will probably not get a good education from any institution. Yes Coronado is a top ranked school but true very strict zoning due to the upper class and rich kids.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:08 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylona View Post
Any thoughts about Liberty?
The girls there are so stuck up i jst offered her a ride and she says f off dude, and i'm like whatever...

Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
While I admore Buzz's artistry I will continue ducking this one.

Liberty is so tied up with the "I want to go to Coronado" thing that it is probably impossible to tell if it is good or only mostly good. It is certainly not bad.

At a guess it will turn out very well. But you are going to the loser school..

Old 06-26-2010, 10:29 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,356 times
Quote:
From what I've read so far seems like GVH and Coronado are the favorite HS in the henderson area. Zoning is crazy though, seems like you never can tell which school you're going to get from year to year from what I'm reading. Any thoughts about Liberty, and while I am at it, Silverado hs?

Liberty is a great school. My oldest daughter graduated from Liberty in 2008. Liberty is like any other school really -- it depends on the quality of the teachers and the student body. My daughter had lots of friends, was very involved in sports, attended all the school functions that she possibly could. I had a good rapport with the administrators and many of the students.

Silverado - same. Before Liberty opened a lot of our neighbors attended Silverado. Again, its the quality of the staff and the student body.

Yup, Green Valley and Coronado seem like favorites, but it is what you make it.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your perspectives. Buzz....lol....sorry you didn't get her number.

So if Coronado has all the well off kids, what's the makeup of Liberty? more diverse? Mostly middle class? In the well off neighborhoods I imagine a lot of pressure to keep up with the Jones'. We can keep up, but who needs the pressure?

My HS kid needs a lot of lighting of fires under her rear to get her to reach her potential educationally. She struggled in gifted classes and developed a who cares attitude. Sigh. I hope for a friendly environment and teachers who care enough to keep on her, and to keep us informed. The dress code isn't going to make her happy, but its just an adjustment. She can still dress goofy at the mall, LOL.

Any other opinions of the school appreciated!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,573 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for sharing your perspectives. Buzz....lol....sorry you didn't get her number.

So if Coronado has all the well off kids, what's the makeup of Liberty? more diverse? Mostly middle class? In the well off neighborhoods I imagine a lot of pressure to keep up with the Jones'. We can keep up, but who needs the pressure?

My HS kid needs a lot of lighting of fires under her rear to get her to reach her potential educationally. She struggled in gifted classes and developed a who cares attitude. Sigh. I hope for a friendly environment and teachers who care enough to keep on her, and to keep us informed. The dress code isn't going to make her happy, but its just an adjustment. She can still dress goofy at the mall, LOL.

Any other opinions of the school appreciated!
Greatschools.org is a much better resource for answering specific questions regarding rankings. You know now which schools are the best on a lot of levels and have the most street cred, ink and perceived prestige.

The information contained in Greatschools.org is standardized and far more objective. Take the time to look at it.

Your daughter doesn't need a friendly environment, she needs the will and discipline to not become poor with unrealistic expectations of what the world owes her. Send her to a challenging school. Forget about all the class warfare stuff. School is more serious than that.

Last edited by Spraynard Kruger; 07-01-2010 at 10:15 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Greatschools.org is a much better resource for answering specific questions regarding rankings. You know now which schools are the best on a lot of levels and have the most street cred, ink and perceived prestige.

The information contained in Greatschools.org is standardized and far more objective. Take the time to look at it.

Your daughter doesn't need a friendly environment, she needs the will and discipline to not become poor with unrealistic expectations of what the world owes her. Send her to a challenging school. Forget about all the class warfare stuff. School is more serious than that.
Thanks Spraynard! Actually I was referring to a friendly student body. Kids that will welcome the new kid. I would like to see her enjoy the atmosphere. Learning is tough when you are distracted by being miserable.

Yes, I have seen the great schools site, so I have used that as a guage of how well the kids test. I have a lot of trouble trusting figures. They don't always show the real picture. However, they are what I have to work with so I do take the results into account. I really love hearing parent and even kids perspectives the most!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas