Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
There's nothing wrong with what she said. There are stories of people who have declined low-wage jobs as long as their UE benefits were maintained. Allen Reynolds (Cato) has also argued strongly against perpetual UE benefit extensions. Angle is also right that we have spoiled our citizenry.

What do you suggest? UE benefits in perpetuity?? 99 weeks is too short?
Hmmm, so the jobs are out there, but people just don't want to work, huh? What about this post of yours showing that there are many more unemployed people than there are jobs available;

Quote:
These days, wages may not even rise at the rate you suggested since Employers have the advantage. I think the ratio of unemployed:job openings is at (or near) an all-time high, somewhere around 5.5-6:1. Remember, the UE rate is only 9.7% b/c the Labor Dept. cooks the books and does not count millions of unemployed people as being in the labor pool. I think there were, literally, like 3 million or so unemployed people who were removed from the pool last year. The real UE rate, often called U6, is more like 17-20%. Some would say things are even worse than that.
Would you care to attempt to reconcile these two diametrically opposed statements?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 AM

422 posts, read 1,084,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
A lot of us working people are sick of supporting these useless bums. I hope they cut the losers off, and soon. Obviously, I am not in the minority in feeling this way. This is from only 5 days ago:

Harry Reid on the Attack, but Still Lags Sharron Angle in Polls - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
He who has the gold rules.......

Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Yes, but they will pass it July 12th. More tax dollars wasted on these mooching idiots. Take a look at the guy in the story begging for extensions:

I rest my case.
Here's a quote in the article from the guy in the picture:

"Unemployed painter Richard Nielsen, who attended the union rally, said he hasn't had steady work in almost a year. He has received a foreclosure notice on his home and is trying to modify his mortgage. He said he needs to have his unemployment benefits extended. 'I've paid my taxes since I was 16, and now I'm struggling,' Nielsen said. 'They have to pass this bill. It means a lot to people.'"

I don't know what you see in that photo, but what I see is a hard-working blue collar worker who has been caught in the downturn of the Vegas economy and is now struggling to keep his house after a lifetime of working and paying taxes.

So, LVD, what's your point? Or more accurately, what point were you trying to make from that photo? (Because the only picture you've painted is an unflattering self-portrait.)

Old 07-01-2010, 10:09 AM

968 posts, read 2,061,721 times
Originally Posted by Swigchow
Incredible.

I agree It is nice to finally see a senator with some common sense. LVD

LOL! I meant that is is "incredible" that people would actually vote for her.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:10 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
What do you suggest? UE benefits in perpetuity?? 99 weeks is too short?
Perpetuity? How about till national UE goes below 7%?

Which of course will take longer, if UE benefits are cut, since those folks will have less to spend.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:15 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Here's a quote in the article from the guy in the picture:

"Unemployed painter Richard Nielsen, who attended the union rally, said he hasn't had steady work in almost a year. He has received a foreclosure notice on his home and is trying to modify his mortgage. He said he needs to have his unemployment benefits extended. 'I've paid my taxes since I was 16, and now I'm struggling,' Nielsen said. 'They have to pass this bill. It means a lot to people.'"

I don't know what you see in that photo, but what I see is a hard-working blue collar worker who has been caught in the downturn of the Vegas economy and is now struggling to keep his house after a lifetime of working and paying taxes.

So, LVD, what's your point? Or more accurately, what point were you trying to make from that photo? (Because the only picture you've painted is an unflattering self-portrait.)
The guy should have let the house go and moved into his car. I am being serious too as I have had to do it myself back in 2004 when I lost my house. I have since cut my expenses to the bone to live on the tiny amount I make now, but these entitlement queens still expect to have a house and car payment on the government's dole. 6 months of unemployment insurance is acceptable. After that, it is welfare. People can debate all they want, but we are going into a huge depression. Only the fittest will survive, not the bums begging for government help. What are we going to do, extend unemployment for 5, 10, or 15 years? This has to stop.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Perpetuity? How about till national UE goes below 7%?

Which of course will take longer, if UE benefits are cut, since those folks will have less to spend.
Oh, no, not this B.S. again. You cannot take money from the taxpayers to stimulate the economy. It is a overall net loss no matter how you look at it.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:35 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Since I've never been on unemployment I don't know exactly how it works but it seems to me that at the very least the checks should decrease in size every time until there is nothing. On a strictly mental level this would scare people into finding jobs from the start regardless of how lazy they are. And of course multiple months of unemployment is ridiculous. I would say 2 months maximum and that is even being generous.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Since I've never been on unemployment I don't know exactly how it works but it seems to me that at the very least the checks should decrease in size every time until there is nothing. On a strictly mental level this would scare people into finding jobs from the start regardless of how lazy they are. And of course multiple months of unemployment is ridiculous. I would say 2 months maximum and that is even being generous.
Believe it or not, lots of these people have been on unemployment for TWO YEARS, and are begging for more.

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...g-streets.html

Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,294 times
I don't doubt at all that there are people out there milking the system and will continue to do so until the cow runs out of milk. My brother did the same thing 25 years ago for numerous years, he would work summers as a pool plasterer back in Maryland and in the fall/winter would file unemployment rather than look for a job.

During the time I was unemployed 2 years ago, I received over $5K in benefits. On the way home just now, I was listening to yesterday's broadcast of the Dave Ramsey show and there was a woman getting 3 years of benefits while going to school (don't know where); however this is where we are heading by extending benefits. 12 months in this current economy is more than enough time to get a job.

If Reid were smart, he would be pouncing on companies both in California and Arizona to offer incentives to move their operations here in Southern Nevada. If he continues to be a pawn for Obama and Pelosi, then even with all the attacks on Angle he will have a very close uphill battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: