Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,934,346 times

Advertisements

I've never collected a plug nickel of UI.

I think just about everything said here is true and there are jobs.....but they pay almost nothing. If you were laid off from a decent job, you are BETTER OFF on unemployment. Especially when you add in the costs associated with going to work every day. And you can't afford child-care on minimum wage. Then consider most of these available jobs are part time with no healthcare or benefits.

People will do what they need to do to best care for their families. For some, they make more and can economize more by staying on UI rather than taking 1 or more part time jobs at @ minimum wage. And yes, those same people will do everything they can and hold on as long as possible. A family of 4 doesn't do well living in a car or a shelter. I'm not trying to be sexist here, but a single male can cope with poverty better than most others.

Quite a few of those low pay jobs are physically demanding. I know I work harder for almost nothing now than I ever did for a great salary. There are a lot of unemployed people out there who physically CAN'T handle the work. I'm lucky I can do it and I'm in good shape. But for my age, I'm a minority. Next factor in how many people are capable of coping with more than 1 physically demanding part time job?

I wish I knew the answer. I do know there's a lot more to it than just saying we need to stop the bleeding and cut off UI. Having jobs available doesn't mean you can make a living wage working those jobs.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,683,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Here's a quote in the article from the guy in the picture:

"Unemployed painter Richard Nielsen, who attended the union rally, said he hasn't had steady work in almost a year. He has received a foreclosure notice on his home and is trying to modify his mortgage. He said he needs to have his unemployment benefits extended. 'I've paid my taxes since I was 16, and now I'm struggling,' Nielsen said. 'They have to pass this bill. It means a lot to people.'"

I don't know what you see in that photo, but what I see is a hard-working blue collar worker who has been caught in the downturn of the Vegas economy and is now struggling to keep his house after a lifetime of working and paying taxes.
So, LVD, what's your point? Or more accurately, what point were you trying to make from that photo? (Because the only picture you've painted is an unflattering self-portrait.)
He looked like a fat ass lazy bum to me. Don't look like he does nothing but drink all day or hang out at the tattoo shop or pool hall. I don't know how he got a foreclosure notice because he looks like he lives in a house on wheels to me. No doubt this is who Sharon Angle is talking about. Apparently there are lots of jobs- even in Nevada- that are going begging because so many people there choose not to work. I bet you could go to Mandaly Bay and get any one of a dozen jobs right today if you want to work. When I was at the Circus Circus, the housekeeper was a foreigner most likely because Americans like the fat guy with the tattoo think they are too good to scrub toilets and make beds at a hotel.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I've never collected a plug nickel of UI.

I think just about everything said here is true and there are jobs.....but they pay almost nothing. If you were laid off from a decent job, you are BETTER OFF on unemployment. Especially when you add in the costs associated with going to work every day. And you can't afford child-care on minimum wage. Then consider most of these available jobs are part time with no healthcare or benefits.

People will do what they need to do to best care for their families. For some, they make more and can economize more by staying on UI rather than taking 1 or more part time jobs at @ minimum wage. And yes, those same people will do everything they can and hold on as long as possible. A family of 4 doesn't do well living in a car or a shelter. I'm not trying to be sexist here, but a single male can cope with poverty better than most others.

Quite a few of those low pay jobs are physically demanding. I know I work harder for almost nothing now than I ever did for a great salary. There are a lot of unemployed people out there who physically CAN'T handle the work. I'm lucky I can do it and I'm in good shape. But for my age, I'm a minority. Next factor in how many people are capable of coping with more than 1 physically demanding part time job?

I wish I knew the answer. I do know there's a lot more to it than just saying we need to stop the bleeding and cut off UI. Having jobs available doesn't mean you can make a living wage working those jobs.
A JOB that pays "almost nothing" is better than NO JOB which pays absolutely nothing.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:04 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Oh, no, not this B.S. again. You cannot take money from the taxpayers to stimulate the economy. It is a overall net loss no matter how you look at it.
increasing taxes to pay for it would not stimulate the economy. You borrow. Google on Liquidity Trap, or Zero Lower Bound.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Since I've never been on unemployment I don't know exactly how it works but it seems to me that at the very least the checks should decrease in size every time until there is nothing. On a strictly mental level this would scare people into finding jobs from the start regardless of how lazy they are. And of course multiple months of unemployment is ridiculous. I would say 2 months maximum and that is even being generous.
Unemployment is a funny thing. Here where I live the high school kids get unemplyment. My daughter got it in her last 2 years of high school. They go to work for Six Flags Over Georgia when it opens in April and work until it closes on Halloween. Then they collect 5 months of unemployment cheques all winter and don't work at all. It is a sweet deal indeed. My daughter loved it.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:07 PM

Maybe we should just kill all the unemployed and save the money for something better- like a good war or something. Iraq and Afganistan are getting old and boring. We need something new and exciting like Iran or North Korea!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:36 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,314,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I think Angle has one thing very wrong. I don't believe there are jobs available under any set of circumstances to cover the present unemployed.

So the option is likely unemployment, welfare, soup kitchens or starve them.

I can't get enthusiastic about starving them. I suppose we could go to the soup kitchens and have them pitch tents in the parks.

Start up a CCC? That probably is more expensive than unemployment extension. Maybe though if this is going on for some years yet.

I believe Angle opposes unemployment insurance period. Bad for the moral fibre.
Rememer... Angle supports policies that will lead to Economic growth. You're going to support someone, Harry Reid, who supports policies that have been shown to lead to Economic decline. What policies that Reid supports do you think will benefit Nevada? Tax hikes? Increased regulations? Amnesty? Card Check? Perhaps skyrocketing energy prices through Cap and Trade?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Hmmm, so the jobs are out there, but people just don't want to work, huh? What about this post of yours showing that there are many more unemployed people than there are jobs available;

Would you care to attempt to reconcile these two diametrically opposed statements?

I've heard stories of people not taking work since the increased wages they obtain from working would not be much more than their UE benefits. I'm not opposed to UE benefits, but 99 weeks is enough. What we really need is LESS government, fewer regulations, less unions and lower taxes so that NEW jobs can be created. Obama (and you) support policies that will lead to fewer jobs and the need for more and more UE benefits.

What do you think the tax rate should be? 80%?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Perpetuity? How about till national UE goes below 7%?

Which of course will take longer, if UE benefits are cut, since those folks will have less to spend.
With the (D)s in control of the Federal Government, the UE rate will NEVER go below 7%. Everything they do kills jobs. 99 weeks is enough.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post

If Reid were smart, he would be pouncing on companies both in California and Arizona to offer incentives to move their operations here in Southern Nevada. If he continues to be a pawn for Obama and Pelosi, then even with all the attacks on Angle he will have a very close uphill battle.

Reid is not smart. He is a far left Marxist ideologue, just like Obama. All he wants is MORE Government, higher taxes and less freedom for individuals.

That said, I'm not sure it's so much Harry Reid's job to lure companies away from California, or even OR and WA to NV. Nevada definitely has not done well in this regard. I'd much rather run a business there than in Cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: