Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:05 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Uhhhhh, I've always been a Democrat, either an FDR Demo, or at least a Harry Truman Demo. But even I can see that the economy was doing well until my party took control of Congress while Bush was prez, and things started going down hill fast. Then when they got Osama O'Bama elected, things really fell apart. For the first time in my life I'm seriously on the verge of switching my affiliation to Independent.
Party affiliation means very little. What matters is which candidate(s) you support. The GOP (although flawed) is FAR better than the 2010 (D) party. Just wait until the Dems increase taxes and energy prices.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:10 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Unemployment Rate when Obama took office: 7.6%

Unemployment Rate 1.5 years later: 9.8%

I hold the head idiot in charge for this.
Oh yeah............One person increased the unemployment rate.

Quote:
Uhhhhh, I've always been a Democrat, either an FDR Demo, or at least a Harry Truman Demo. But even I can see that the economy was doing well until my party took control of Congress while Bush was prez, and things started going down hill fast. Then when they got Osama O'Bama elected, things really fell apart. For the first time in my life I'm seriously on the verge of switching my affiliation to Independent.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:12 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The state's unemployment rate is a lie for the most part. There are many many jobs there. The reason for the high unemployment rate there is that many of the people there are lazy and don't want to get a job. They want to lay around on unemployment.
I didn't say this- SHE DID!
Sharron Angle's Unemployment Solution: There Are Lots Of Jobs Available (VIDEO)
I still prefer Reid, but I did like Angle here.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
I am not trying to doubt you or say you are wrong, but...

Even though many states have laws that may be more liberal for seasonal workers, in all states you are required to look for a job while collecting UI, unless you have a promise from the employer that laid you off to return on a specific definite date that is within a certain number of weeks from the day of lay off. I'd have a hard time believing that your state would allow anyone to collect for five months without looking for work elsewhere. At that point it would almost become welfare, and UI is group INSURANCE, not welfare.

Another problem I see is that being a full-time student is disqualifying unless they show that they can still look for work, and sign an affidavit that they are willing to quit school if their class schedule conflicts with the work schedule. If one is in Approved Training they may be excused from the work requirements during that time, but high school isn't Approved Training in any state that I'm aware of.

Not saying your daughter did this, but to collect UI and not do the work search, and not report going to school, is fraud and can lead to a whole lot of trouble.

Then there is the problem of qualifying earnings. Even if it is full-time work at Six Flags, it is not likely anyone would earn enough in less than six months to qualify for five months of benefits. And I would imagine it would be part-time anyway for students.

Keep in mind that states must follow Federal Guidelines when it comes to UI, as UI is funded 100% by the Feds. I'd have to see where in the laws of your state, high schoolers working at a seasonal job are excused from the rules everyone else has to follow.
I don't know the rules as I have never collected it. I was as surprised as anybody when she got it. I never thought a 16 year old could even get unemployment. Six Flags actually tells them to apply for it. The job starts on April 1st and is weekends only except for Spring Break until school ends in May and then it is full time until school begins in August when it goes back to weekends only until the Halloween bash at the end of October. The park then closes for the winter. She collected 14 weeks of unemployment for both years she worked there. She applied on line and 2 weeks later the cheques would start coming. And she did not look for work during the winter but she have said on her weekly report she did. She waited until the park opened again on April 1st and went back to work there. And it was not just her. Her 2 friends also got it and they were full time students too. The cheques were not very much- I think about $70 a week or so if I recall and the job paid $10 per hour so it was not even a day's pay.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:52 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
It's not even that we need more or less government involvement... just smarter involvement. We have one government agency seemingly carelessly handing out money with very poor regulations and not enough oversight. Then you have agencies like the IRS that will ring you dry for every last penny. At this point I just want to hear the president come out and open his speech by saying we have no f*cking clue what we're doing. A little honesty might go a long way.
So-called 'smarter' government is smaller government. The further the Government spreads its wings, the harder it is to focus on areas where we do need them (defense, border security, minimizing the burdens it places on the Economy, etc.)

Government is incompetent at every level. The Feds are broke; most agencies with the Fed Government is broke; most of its major areas of expense are broke; most states are broke; most counties are broke; most school districts are broke.

The fact that Government will take >50% of some peoples' incomes after the tax hikes are fully implemented is insane. With all the work it takes to get to that income level, it's criminal to confiscate more than 1/2 of the fruits of these peoples' labor and then take a nice chunk of what they have left when they croak. In the meantime, tens of millions of people pay zero in federal income taxes and it's quite likely than tens of tens of millions get back a LOT more in services than the paltry sums they pay in federal income taxes.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:10 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

The fact that Government will take >50% of some peoples' incomes after the tax hikes are fully implemented is insane. With all the work it takes to get to that income level, it's criminal to confiscate more than 1/2 of the fruits of these peoples' labor and then take a nice chunk of what they have left when they croak. In the meantime, tens of millions of people pay zero in federal income taxes and it's quite likely than tens of tens of millions get back a LOT more in services than the paltry sums they pay in federal income taxes.
Your right, but don't believe this crap that half the population pays no income tax. It is a total lie. I made $20,000 last year and had to pay $750 in federal income tax. I am at the absolute bottom of the income scale so when I read people making $50,000 are paying none I know it is B.S.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't know the rules as I have never collected it. I was as surprised as anybody when she got it. I never thought a 16 year old could even get unemployment. Six Flags actually tells them to apply for it. The job starts on April 1st and is weekends only except for Spring Break until school ends in May and then it is full time until school begins in August when it goes back to weekends only until the Halloween bash at the end of October. The park then closes for the winter. She collected 14 weeks of unemployment for both years she worked there. She applied on line and 2 weeks later the checks would start coming. And she did not look for work during the winter but she have said on her weekly report she did. She waited until the park opened again on April 1st and went back to work there. And it was not just her. Her 2 friends also got it and they were full time students too. The checks were not very much- I think about $70 a week or so if I recall and the job paid $10 per hour so it was not even a day's pay.
Well, 14 weeks isn't 5 months, but I hate to tell you this: you are telling me these kids committed fraud, and if the state audits their claims, they'll be paying it all back ...or maybe dad will. The weekly report asks five questions. #1 is something like this: During the week ending (date) did you seek and apply for work as instructed? If they said yes, and didn't, they lied to get money. That can get you thrown in jail. In reality, they would be given the chance to pay it back and would be disqualified for a certain period from any more UI. One of the other five questions would have to do with attending school. A yes answer would stop the claim until a questionnaire was filled out and approved ...or not, and the claim suspended. A reply of 'No' would be another fraudulent answer.

States are required to perform random audits, and that means they actually go to employers that you say you applied at and ask for proof that you did. Lying on your unemployment claim is not a smart thing to do. I took the payments from two different guys who had to come in person weekly with a check to pay back about $5000 each. They both had to have a job so they could pay it back, but they couldn't get a job because they were on parole as felons for the fraud. If they didn't make the payments they were breaking parole and the judge would have sent them to jail. Not fun. One guy was a formerly high paid scientist laid off from the Test Site.

Better have a little chat with the daughter.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:07 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
The GOP (although flawed) is FAR better than the 2010 (D) party.
I know you often advocate the Republican Party to saving all of us fiscally.

But I've long come under the impression that the Right Wing Republican Party is NOT the Fiscal Conservative Party, not by a long shot.

#1 Reason being our government has Military bases placed all over Planet Earth and constantly moving them around...and constantly throwing immense money into weaponry, technology of weaponry, massive military bases and the expenses they cost to maintain worldwide, on and on.

I've often read that if the gov't was to allocate a small fraction of the military expenditures to something like 'healthcare', the entire country could easily be covered.

Although, with the enormous obesity rates, and the fact that, like Angle says, most Americans are way too lazy to actually work - which Angle, doesn't say here, but I believe, the reason we have immense immigration of hard-working Mexicans absolutely everywhere doing all kinds of work, is that our own citizens are too lazy and often times even too obese (I think by the last account, something like over 30% physically obese)...which is something that probably not even the world's best healthcare system would be able to deal with.

The Republican Party's plan to completely reverse 50 million Americans from having any healthcare coverage at all, just means more emergency room visit by obese uncovered Americans, and significantly more bankruptcies, which simply isn't good for our economy. There are other solutions that the Republican NO SOLUTION, NO PLAN, NO PROBLEM lack of a solution, which will continue to bankrupt our nation and its citizens.

I suppose I'm going into other tangents....BUT I would absolutely LOVE to hear one right-winger who admits that MILITARY SPENDING is way out in the obscene numbers, and needs to seriously be reeled back in...not just a bit, but immensily.

I'm actually a TRUE fiscal conservative though, so I won't hold my breath very long for that one. For those reasons, I gotta support a Democrat again, as at least there is a remote chance of immense military expenditures being reeled in...well, maybe. At least Dems whisper the ideas, even if it hasn't happened - mostly due to Republicans who would shoot them in the head if there was any talk about reeling in those expenditures. I gritted my teeth when McCain was running on the '100 Years in Iraq' bankrupt our nation 100% plan - with zero other ideas for what he'd do in office, and the typical REPUBLICAN (unknowingly anti-fiscal conservative) sheep CHEERED and got all excited.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Where are you getting this nonsense? The only reason the April jobs report was really good was because of census workers.
Nonsense? I'm getting the figures from the official jobs report. The April report showed the country added 431,000 jobs, 411,000 of which were due to the census. So even without the census, the country added jobs last month, as opposed to the hundreds of thousands of jobs that were being lost when Obama took office. Which is what I stated.

Quote:
That was even fudged because the government was constantly hiring and firing them to make the numbers look better.
Oh, God, not yet another government conspiracy. And this one makes even less sense than your usual conspiracy theories (as if that was possible.) What was the last one? Something about the traffic cameras placed at intersections actually being there so that the government could spy on us? In any case, I'm done responding to you and your "theories."

Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Nonsense? I'm getting the figures from the official jobs report. The April report showed the country added 431,000 jobs, 411,000 of which were due to the census. So even without the census, the country added jobs last month, as opposed to the hundreds of thousands of jobs that were being lost when Obama took office. Which is what I stated.

Oh, God, not yet another government conspiracy. And this one makes even less sense than your usual conspiracy theories (as if that was possible.) What was the last one? Something about the traffic cameras placed at intersections actually being there so that the government could spy on us? In any case, I'm done responding to you and your "theories."
That is fine, don't respond because you can't since you are wrong. Here even is the corrupt main stream media reporting exactly what I just said. Case closed.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...BTvL17VmxKKR0O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: