U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:28 PM

29 posts, read 281,984 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am looking for suggestions on tours (from Las Vegas) to Grand Canyon (and Hoover Dam if included). Looking for - resonably priced, day trip, reliable operators.

Also for some tours there are - South Rim tour (Mather Point, Yavapai Point (requires a short walk), Bright Angel Lodge) and West Rim + Skywalk (Eagle Point, the Skywalk, Guano Point, Indian Village, Hualapai Ranch, Cowboy Town ). Any suggestions as to which would be better ?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 34,342,723 times
Is the South Rim tour you're talking about a bus tour or an airplane or helicopter tour? The bus trip would be about four hours or more each way so you might not like that. But the Skywalk isn't really in the Grand Canyon as we know it, it's in a remote area outside the park, and last I heard it is still a 30 mile ride on a dirt road to get there. It doesn't get good reviews. If it was me, I'd rent car and drive over on my own. You'd make better time, have more time to explore the park, and do whatever you want. I visualize those bus tours as a lot of driving and very little sight seeing.

If you can, go to the North Rim. It's 1000 feet higher, therefore cooler, a lot prettier, and gets 1/10th the number of tourists. To me, both rims aren't really day trips, so I'd make it an overnighter. It's worth it even if you give up a night on the Strip. But whatever you do, be sure and see the Grand Canyon one way or the other. When Teddy Roosevelt said every American should see it, he wasn't just talking to hear himself. Everyone should see it.

When are you going to be here? If you have a little time, try to get a room or cabin in the park. It is the most spectacular place to wake up in the world. But they are usually booked up way in advance. But you can keep calling and ask if they've had any cancellation., They frequently do. Keep in mind that the North Rim closes in early October due to snow.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 PM

29 posts, read 281,984 times
I am looking to book bus tour for a few of my family who would be visiting Las Vegas in the coming week. The tours I saw (South Rim and West Rim) are for this tour operators - Grand Canyon Tours and Las Vegas Tours by the Grand Canyon Tour Company .

Old 07-12-2010, 09:10 PM

13,818 posts, read 26,897,678 times
Working as a National Park Ranger, stationed in GCNP, sure sounds like a rim job to me.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Working as a National Park Ranger, stationed in GCNP, sure sounds like a rim job to me.
You might get reamed by the boss, but never rimmed.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashara View Post
I am looking to book bus tour for a few of my family who would be visiting Las Vegas in the coming week. The tours I saw (South Rim and West Rim) are for this tour operators - Grand Canyon Tours and Las Vegas Tours by the Grand Canyon Tour Company .
Seriously, if they can drive it would be way more fun to rent a car and go on their own; not to mention it would probably cost less for the car than for one bus ticket. It's nearly impossible to get lost. You're looking at a 14 hour trip in the hottest time of year, with at least 9 or ten hours on the bus.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 PM

An air/bus tour would be way less tiresome, you'd see a lot more, and it doesn't cost much more. Tours from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon - Canyon Connoisseur - Air Tours from Las Vegas

Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,614,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You might get reamed by the boss, but never rimmed.
You never know.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:47 AM

15,370 posts, read 37,047,606 times
I was standing at the South Rim one day...had been in the same spot for 4 hours watching the canyon change as the sun moved. Guy from "DaBRONX" parked in the lot....he, his wife, and 3 little "Guidos" walked up to the rim. looked over and said "It's a big hole in da groun, fer dis I paid to get in ." Got back in there car and left......2500 miles and $12 per car [at that time] and they spent 3 minutes....I was in the same spot for 2 more hours....watching and listening.... DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT miss the Grand Canyon.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I was standing at the South Rim one day...had been in the same spot for 4 hours watching the canyon change as the sun moved. Guy from "DaBRONX" parked in the lot....he, his wife, and 3 little "Guidos" walked up to the rim. looked over and said "It's a big hole in da groun, fer dis I paid to get in ." Got back in there car and left......2500 miles and $12 per car [at that time] and they spent 3 minutes....I was in the same spot for 2 more hours....watching and listening.... DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT miss the Grand Canyon.
Some people actually see it as a religious experience. For instance, I recommended it to friends from back east. One lady cried when she saw it, and said something about it being proof that God exists. Not saying I feel that way, but I am in awe every time, and I've seen it several times. Every trip has been a really pleasant experience even when I went with some unpleasant people. Camping on the North Rim one night, I got out of the tent in the middle of the night to visit a nearby bush, and was nearly bowled over by the sky. I've never seen so many stars. It was so bright it was blinding almost. And up there at that altitude you really do feel like you can reach up and touch them.

Even the incredible soreness we had in every muscle of our bodies after hiking to the bottom and back was worth every stifled scream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas