U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,158 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am planning a family reunion in Las Vegas on October 2-3, 2010. I am looking for a venue that does not empty my pocket book. I was thinking something outdoors, but don't really want to worry about a freak rain shower. Then I was thinking about renting a suite and then have the food catered. I really would love some ideas. I would say there will probably be 20 adults and 6 children.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Theri
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:22 PM

19,987 posts, read 20,740,612 times
Do you want something at a strip resort, or will any ol' place do? There are a lot of pizza places/bars/etc that have event rooms that you can use, and they're not that expensive.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:32 PM

7,112 posts, read 12,217,326 times
I have seen family reunions of at least 100 people at Aliante Park on several occasions. Always looks like a great time with all the games and events. The BBQ makes the park smell wonderful too.

Im sure these people didnt have to pay a dime. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

And as far a rain, I wouln't worry too much about that in Vegas.

Do you want to have it near the strip?

Old 07-14-2010, 03:57 PM

450 posts, read 1,432,626 times
I agree with Von, find a shelter somewhere at a local park, but check local community information to see if there is a fee to reserve the shelter(s) that day. There are usually bbq grills nearby and the local grocery stores can provide all of the food you need that would most likely be cheaper than catering. Plus, if there are going to be kids, they'll have much more fun outside than they would in an enclosed area where you would be worrying about them breaking things.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 34,103,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theri View Post
Hello all,
I am planning a family reunion in Las Vegas on October 2-3, 2010. I am looking for a venue that does not empty my pocket book. I was thinking something outdoors, but don't really want to worry about a freak rain shower. Then I was thinking about renting a suite and then have the food catered. I really would love some ideas. I would say there will probably be 20 adults and 6 children.

Theri
There are 6 million trade show, convention, bar Mitzvahs, and family reunion planners in Las Vegas. I don't know if the biggies like GES or Freeman would take on such a small group, but you never know. I'm sure, though, that whatever hotel you are putting everyone up would be glad to help with that. You can call around different hotels, and local planners, and if the price is too high, at least you might get some good ideas.

Here are two for free. Your event coincides with one of our best weekend events, Art in The Park in Boulder City. You will need things to keep everyone entertained, so why not plan it around Art in the Park? You could call the Boulder City Parks & Recreation Dept., and find another venue for the rendezvous, etc., like the city park nearby with the fishing pond. Then people could wonder around the Art and Craft Fair. You would also have Bootleg Canyon nearby for other entertaining things to do, such as the zip line for the younger folks. I'm sure if you start lining it up now you could have a nice reunion out there. BCH | Find information on the hospital Foundation. bootleg canyon - Google Search

Another place that everyone would enjoy is Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs. You can reserve a group picnic spot that is covered. Here's how. There are actually several parks with covered group picnic spots, but Floyd Lamb is best, followed by Sunset Park. How To Reserve A Park (Official City of Las Vegas Web Site)

floyd lamb park at tule springs - Google Search

This is the only one I found with decent pix: Birding Urban Las Vegas, Floyd Lamb State Park

Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 PM

422 posts, read 1,017,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theri View Post
Hello all,

Theri
Worrying about rain in October should be your last worry, or better, a no-worry. October's weather is beautiful. Whatever you do, it should be a memorable experience, here in Las Vegas. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:59 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,216,279 times
At the last company that I worked for we would have our yearly anniversary party at a park at the end of Craig. We would rent it out for the day. Beautiful area, right up by the mountains, and has covered picnic area. It is called Lone Mountain Park. Here is a link for more information http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/dep...ations_map.pdf.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 AM

It rained in October a year or two ago and spoiled a lot of plans. But rain in October is rare.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:10 AM

2,454 posts, read 4,349,734 times
If you use a county park, you may want to look into the permit issues. It's now illegal to consume alcohol without a special event permit. I believe gatherings of 10 or more now need a special permit. call or email Home Page for more info.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
If you use a county park, you may want to look into the permit issues. It's now illegal to consume alcohol without a special event permit. I believe gatherings of 10 or more now need a special permit. call or email Home Page for more info.
Same for Las Vegas Dept of Leisure Services: Leisure Services

Henderson parks: Parks & Recreation - Bird Viewing Preserve and Water Reclamation Facility

State Parks (check out Spring Mtn. Ranch for your reunion) Nevada Division of State Parks - Nevada Park Sites

North Las Vegas parks: Parks and Recreation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas