U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 PM

22 posts, read 35,673 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I just wanted to say hi to everyone and let you all know that I will be moving to Las Vegas as soon as my house sells in Chicago. A little background on me and hubbie. He will be retiring from the Cook County Police Department when the house sells. I am a housewife (I don't know if anyone really uses that term anymore) No kids just my beloved animals. He's 51 and I am 43. We are moving mainly for weather and just a complete change of lifestyle. We like the fact that his pension will not be taxed in Nevada. I need warm and dry for medical issues. I will not bore you all with questions about where is a good place to live or what is traffic like or is crime bad, etc. as I spend a lot of time reading all the threads. Our minds are made up and we do not have unrealistic expectations. So, we will be looking in the northwest up near Floyd Lamb Park and Silverstone Golf Club. Not sure to rent or buy but will figure it out. So I appreciate all of you that give honest reliable information and I even enjoy much of the sarcasm and banter. See you all soon!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,107,502 times
Welcome to the forum AllieCat. You'll be 5 minutes from my house so if you need any info about the immediate area, feel free to ask.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:04 PM

Thanks so much I appreciate it. I guess the obvious question is how do you like the Northwest? I like that it is a bit removed from things while still having some great amenities. Looks like most daily shopping, working out, dog walking and outdoor activities are all there and if we need more than that the strip or Summerlin are nearby. We drove around a lot and familiarized ourselves with that whole area in June and hear positive things from our Realtor.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 PM

383 posts, read 838,648 times
Any help you need ask. I just moved here to Seven Hills. I say rent first then buy. I'm renting now but plan on buying in a year. I love my area so far but have taken time to talk to more locals to find out about all areas. I like the family enviroment here and all the walking trails. Feels very safe to me.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:11 PM

Thank you! I love Seven Hills/Anthem. That was one of my first choices and will still consider it. I felt real comfortable in that area as well. I think we may get a little more home for our money in the Northwest but I am not positive. Since my husband is a major crimes investigator you can be sure that he has spoke to many local police about both areas we are considering. I guess it will be interesting to see where we end up but it is nice to know there are nice folks like yourselves in both areas.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,004,165 times
Use the search button its-------------------------------over-----------------------------here------------------------------somewhere---------------^

In all honesty though, welcome to Vegas.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:36 AM

8,875 posts, read 15,192,504 times
All the best to you and your husband. Good luck getting settled. This coming winter, you'll have fun watching the films of snow in Chicago.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 AM

383 posts, read 838,648 times
Honestly I don't know much about the NW. I sort of fell in love with this area and honed in on it because of the schools. From what I understand the NW is a little younger area and over here it is a little more family oriented. I like the shopping here and it seems like the restaraunts are about the same. I also wanted to be closer to the lake although being closer to Mt. Charleston in the NW is a plus. FYI I am in a 3br single family home in a gated community and my rent is $1150. Sounds like a got a pretty good deal for my neighborhood. My son who is sitting with me demands I tell you that he is able to walk to buy Slurpees which is a huge plus for him. There are 3 parks within a short walk and a 5 minute drive to the Henderson multi-generational park which is absolutely awesome. I stayed at the Sahara for 3 weeks checking the area out because for $40 a night is was cheap and convenient. I think if you guys are retired and have a set income you will really like it here. I find it very reasonable to live and if you stay away from the craziness there are so many things to do here. Many don't realize how close things are to Vegas. San Diego and Yosemite are less then 6 hours away not to mention Tahoe, Grand Canyon. It is hot but I promise 110 here today was more comfortable then Chicago was.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 AM

150 posts, read 397,706 times
hi, congrads on your move.
i also looking into vegas retirement. as a retired law enforecement officer myself i know how cops like to feel connected. he might want to join the 10-13 club there. its basically a fraternal organization of retired NYPD cops(like me). in cities with alot of retirees they tend to form these clubs as their connection. but all cops from any dept welcomed t ojoin. they have las vegas pd and retired LAPD cops involved. its a good organization for relocating advice.kind of a support group like the military retirees have. for example one of the members a retired LAPD cop is also a realtor. so your husband might want to contact the group or read the website for good info.
Las Vegas Ten-13 Club - About Us

Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 AM

7,112 posts, read 12,333,893 times
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/liann14/Symbianize%20Smiley/welcome.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas