Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 6,575 times

Advertisements

Ok bloggers,Vegas
I have a chance to work in the Vegas area. This is all new to us and we are not as young as we used to be. We are looking at the Henderson area or even Boulder city. My big question of the day is? How much $$$$ money is enough to be comfortable. I will be working at the Hoover Dam and will have to commute to whatever town I decide to live in. I also have a son with Autism moderate to severe and if any of you can tell me what service center has the best high school for special education. I am trying to do all the research I can before i go to my interview. We are in South Texas and I work in the elements all day so, the heat is not an issue. We see the housing marking falling and this is the time to buy. We pay high taxes in Texas and we would like to get more for our buck. Any info would be great. We have been to Vegas before but only on the way to California and on the way back.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Since you will be working at Hoover Dam, go for Boulder City. And Henderson is also a good choice. Don't move any further than those two places. The commute would be bad.
As for schools, I don't have a clue. I am sure someone will chime in here that knows.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:52 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
I have to agree with what PinkString said, Boulder City or Henderson.

Unfortunately, when it comes to children with any kind disability, our school system is not up to par. High functioning autism students are mainstreamed into the regular public school system. Nevada has the worst reputation for any kind of programs for children with autism.

Search around the internet for info, also, look into the DJ's Community Christian Academy in Henderson, I do remember someone telling me that they do work with high functioning autistic kids.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:57 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
I looked it up for you

home

It's worth a phone call and if they can't help maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Best of luck to you and the family!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:48 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times
I would look into Boulder City, but that may be expensive since the housing tends to be older and pricer there. The feel of Boulder City is IMO totally different than Las Vegas or Henderson. It's more old small town know your neighbor type feeling. You may or may not like that. Boulder City also doesn't have any chain sit down restaurants (Chilis, Applebees, etc.), but they have many mom and pop joints.

The far east side of Henderson, off Wagon Wheel/Nevada State Drive has a lot of new condos/houses. That's as close as you can get to the Dam and still be in Henderson. Luckily the commute from that area to the dam would be fine since there is little traffic. I live in Henderson and pretty much 99% of the time from I-95 at Lake Mead heading south thru Boulder City there is very minimal traffic even during rush hour.

As far as cost of living. You can find a 3/2 or 4/2 1600-2000sf house for 130-180k pretty easily. Our property taxes tend to be around (slightly less usually) 1% of purchase price per year. Home owners insurance varies with size of house and company, but ours is $500/yr on a 2300sf house. Electric varies of course, but for a 1600-2000sf house without a pool I'd think $150-$200 per month year round (equal payment). Gas $50-$75 per month year round. Water/Sewer varies based on landscaping but figure $40-$80/month.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherna6512 View Post
Ok bloggers,Vegas
I have a chance to work in the Vegas area. This is all new to us and we are not as young as we used to be. We are looking at the Henderson area or even Boulder city. My big question of the day is? How much $$$$ money is enough to be comfortable. I will be working at the Hoover Dam and will have to commute to whatever town I decide to live in. I also have a son with Autism moderate to severe and if any of you can tell me what service center has the best high school for special education. I am trying to do all the research I can before i go to my interview. We are in South Texas and I work in the elements all day so, the heat is not an issue. We see the housing marking falling and this is the time to buy. We pay high taxes in Texas and we would like to get more for our buck. Any info would be great. We have been to Vegas before but only on the way to California and on the way back.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2010, 04:42 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
interesting.. someone moving FROM Texas to Nevada......We had posters here saying how much better Texas is...

Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,575 times
Default Thanks Everyone

I have researched the market and Henderson looks promising. I have my opinions about Texas but home is where you hang your hat. If offered this position then I will stay in Nevada till I retire and it looks like the area has plenty of activities for my son. Does anyone know the drive time from henderson to the Hoover Dam. I would be working 4 tens with fridays off every week, so I plan on doing some driving to surrounding states with the family.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:51 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times
According to Google Maps, from Wagon Wheel Dr to the Dam it would be about 21 minutes, which seems about right considering the times I've driven up there. Wagonwheel Dr to US-93 S/Great Basin Hwy/Nevada Hwy - Google Maps. That's about as close as you could get to the dam and still be in Henderson. Depending on where you lived in Henderson, figure 20-30 minute drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherna6512 View Post
I have researched the market and Henderson looks promising. I have my opinions about Texas but home is where you hang your hat. If offered this position then I will stay in Nevada till I retire and it looks like the area has plenty of activities for my son. Does anyone know the drive time from henderson to the Hoover Dam. I would be working 4 tens with fridays off every week, so I plan on doing some driving to surrounding states with the family.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
According to Google Maps, from Wagon Wheel Dr to the Dam it would be about 21 minutes, which seems about right considering the times I've driven up there. Wagonwheel Dr to US-93 S/Great Basin Hwy/Nevada Hwy - Google Maps. That's about as close as you could get to the dam and still be in Henderson. Depending on where you lived in Henderson, figure 20-30 minute drive.
Before you jump take a good look at Boulder City. The High School there is somewhat different than the Henderson or the rest of the Vegas Valley. You might find happiness for your son at the cost of a quicker commute and a lesser house.

I would certainly try and talk to them. BC does not march to the standard drum.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 AM

501 posts, read 1,191,914 times
Henderson is a nice area. Most of the city is pretty clean, and you can feel safe just about everywhere you go there. We lived there for about 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas