Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 AM

98 posts, read 541,812 times

Advertisements

It is a closed system. The small amount of run off from condensation can be collected and used (it has a run off hose for that purpose).

The use of 450 Watts MAX to cool a whole house is excellent public policy. The net water usage is 0 compared to your typical CAC, so like it or not, you are using water to cool you house one way or another.

I'm fortunate that my unit is not on the roof, so maintenance will not be a huge issue. Recycling takes extra time, but you do it because it's the right thing to do...

Go Green!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winknod View Post
I've been reading up on them (aka evaporative coolers), seems like a perfect low cost way to cool in Las Vegas.

Anyone use one? Thoughts?

I'm planning on buying a portable unit for up to 750 ft2 to try out.

My CAC is dead. If it works well I might replace it with a whole house swamp system. Cheaper to buy than CAC (2/3 the cost per unit) and cheaper to run...
I have run a 6500 CFM swamper on my house in Las Vegas for 30 years. I also have conventional refrigeration. The swamper works great....as long as the the ambient humidity is below 10%. It will easily drop the temperature by 30 degrees. The efficiency drops off at 15% and is virtually unusable as you approach 20% humidity. That's when we use refrigeration. This occurs from about the middle of July to the end of August (Monsoon season).

My highest electric bill this year (so far) was $175...and that is for an 1800 sq ft, two story house with single pane windows.

I use Aspen cooler pads and double pad the unit. You MUST have have a window slightly open in the room(s) you wish to cool for the purposes of circulation. This also allows you to selectively cool the rooms you are occupying during the day or night.

Hope this helps.

Vishnu

Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,129,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winknod View Post
It is a closed system. The small amount of run off from condensation can be collected and used (it has a run off hose for that purpose).

The use of 450 Watts MAX to cool a whole house is excellent public policy. The net water usage is 0 compared to your typical CAC, so like it or not, you are using water to cool you house one way or another.

I'm fortunate that my unit is not on the roof, so maintenance will not be a huge issue. Recycling takes extra time, but you do it because it's the right thing to do...

Go Green!
It consumes 3600 gallons per month for the 5 ton unit. At peak usage it may go twice that. A conventional CAC uses none. The power listed is based on continuous running. A conventional unit runs on a much lower duty cycle.

The Coolerado appears most interesting if water is readily available and cheap and the unit proves robust. It is very efficient at the cost of significant water usage.

I would think it needs another 8 or 10 years to be proven...

If however you are a gadgeteer who likes a challenge...go for it. Someone has to be the advanced scout....

Old 08-01-2010, 06:35 PM

839 posts, read 2,413,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuschist View Post

I use Aspen cooler pads and double pad the unit.
Yes, doubling up the aspen pads DOES help. I forgot to mention that in my post...

Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 PM

187 posts, read 480,717 times
I've been using a master cool for 6 years, my house is a two story house 1750sqft with the proper ducting to each room. Leave it running at least 24 hrs a day and its very cool, just make sure to leave your windows open ( i leave mine at 1ft)for all the bedrooms and the it works perfectly fine. Some people buy one and get the impression they work like an A/C but its all about the current of the air. The bills are cheap, vegas and texas weather are very similar ou there in the western part of texas. I recommend you get one, you wont regret it.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,397 times
Question swamp coolers

I enjoy reading all the comments, and I agree that they are the way to go in arid areas. My question is they work better on the roof or in a window mount, the window would enable me to maintain the unit, I don't do the roof.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,359,900 times
I have always wondered about the cost and efficiency of adding a mini ac system to two rooms (the kind they use in Mexico that has a condenser outside and fits flush into your wall.) The two rooms would be the bedroom and the office, which are the rooms used 90% of the day, and keeping the regular thermostat on 90 for the rest of the house. Hate having to cool the whole house for one person using only one or two small rooms. Just a thought I've pondered.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,802,549 times
The newer single (one side air intake) models work well as long as humidity is low.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,050,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I have always wondered about the cost and efficiency of adding a mini ac system to two rooms (the kind they use in Mexico that has a condenser outside and fits flush into your wall.) The two rooms would be the bedroom and the office, which are the rooms used 90% of the day, and keeping the regular thermostat on 90 for the rest of the house. Hate having to cool the whole house for one person using only one or two small rooms. Just a thought I've pondered.
those were in use here and still are in many motels around the country....some haveheat/cool. They are actiually no differant the a window AC that you never remove.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:28 AM

943 posts, read 1,839,892 times
the name alone SWAMP makes me feel dirty and sticky.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: