Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

28 year old gay professional male here from Connecticut.

This past winter, I had the opportunity to travel and spend time in Albuquerque and Phoenix. I thought Albuquerque was too small and Phoenix was too big and too hot in the summer for too long. Phoenix also didn't seem to be that gay friendly, and rather conservative. Albuquerque just had a tiny gay community at best. I also thought Albuquerque was too "western" and "cowboy" themed for my tastes. I would like to be around plenty of northeastern transplants.

I want affordable housing, plenty of outdoor activities and plenty of young single people as well. Not family oriented, either. I don't like too much traffic, though some is inevitable. But every city has bad traffic. I don't like stressful cities, basically. I like warm weather, but not when it's warm 24/7/365 like Florida.

I also have a master's degree in accounting with 5 yrs od experience and would hope to land a good paying job.

I would be moving there with no job lined up, as I'm currently unemployed. I would be able to live for a few months if I could find a sublease apartment in a decent area while looking for work. I'll work in retail temporarily if I have to.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:04 PM

557 posts, read 793,333 times
Phoenix summer is the same as LV. If You felt Phoenix was too hot, you will not like summer here either. Also no job lined up = stay where you are.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
Phoenix summer is the same as LV. If You felt Phoenix was too hot, you will not like summer here either. Also no job lined up = stay where you are.
I know...that's my concern. The unemployment rate there is a whopping 10.0%.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Phoenix Runs about 10 degrees higher the LV all year round

Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
You have a degree plus experience. Get online and start applying. Throw your résumé out there. And we don't have traffic.

Posted from Qualcomm QCP-2700

Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,461 times
Possibly OP... the gay community is growing here and it's great that they are taking control downtown ad turning that area around.

out door activity... there is plenty, but it's not really varied like it is on Southern California.

only thing I can say is give it a try if you are so inclined...

Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM

I've just never been to LV before, but I did like Albuquerque and Phoenix. But based on watching the show Flipping Vegas and checking out various areas on Google Street View and watching videos on YouTube it seems like a nice place. Some people say it's not that cheap though. But I know it's way cheaper than CT. I don't really have any friends there, except for one Facebook friend lol. But I'm kind of a loner anyway and I'm sure I'll make friends over time. I'm also hoping that the brown landscape is something I can get used to.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Possibly OP... the gay community is growing here and it's great that they are taking control downtown ad turning that area around.

out door activity... there is plenty, but it's not really varied like it is on Southern California.

only thing I can say is give it a try if you are so inclined...
I've spent some time in SoCal. LA is way too big for me. SD was gorgeous, but extremely expensive and never gets warm enough. All of the men were also much taller than me, everywhere I looked, which was weird. But LV seems to have a larger Italian population, which is good.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,461 times
SD is a great place... I grew up in so cal.

I have to say that I am personally not gay, but I love hanging out in the community because of the creative aspects and the "FUN". Here is Vegas, you'll find it MUCH SMALLER than either of those places(LA/SD). It would probably help if you knew some folks before you moved because Vegas can be lonely if you don't know anyone.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You should be fine in Las Vegas.

It is hot in the high summer...but cools at night and is perceptually a good bit cooler than Phoenix.

Being gay is a non-issue. Nobody cares.

Jobs are tough in some areas. Construction is a non starter. As are most tech fields. But accounting should work particularly if you will start modestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas