U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,503 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum (as you can probably tell by this being my first post), so I am sorry if this question has been asked 1000 times before!

I am from the UK and will be graduating from university in June 2011. I am trying to come up with ideas of things to do post-uni, and have been thinking about moving to the US (initially for the three month summer period...and maybe longer depending what else happens) and was thinking of moving to Vegas...

I am just wondering if anyone else here has done that/is thinking of doing it..and what the chances are of being able to find a job once I am out there..or would it be better to try and find a job before I come..is that even possible?

Anything anyone thinks might be usefull would be great!!

Lucy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,256,388 times
The current reported unemployment rate here in Vegas is 14.5%, so you do the math.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:32 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,701,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgal1 View Post
Hi All!

I'm new to the forum (as you can probably tell by this being my first post), so I am sorry if this question has been asked 1000 times before!

I am from the UK and will be graduating from university in June 2011. I am trying to come up with ideas of things to do post-uni, and have been thinking about moving to the US (initially for the three month summer period...and maybe longer depending what else happens) and was thinking of moving to Vegas...

I am just wondering if anyone else here has done that/is thinking of doing it..and what the chances are of being able to find a job once I am out there..or would it be better to try and find a job before I come..is that even possible?

Lucy
This is a pretty good article on what is happening with our unemployment and what it will take to turn it around and how it won't be like in the boom times.

Nevada employment: First to worst Aug. 6, 2010 Jeremy Aguero Nevada’s unemployment rate – 14.2 percent – now ranks atop the nation. Although a somewhat imperfect indicator of a state’s economic health, it stands as an ever-present reminder of just how hard Nevada has been hit by the recession.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:38 PM

3,728 posts, read 8,897,385 times
Quote:
Hi All!

Lucy
Yes, Las Vegas is exciting and glamorous and that's the place everyone wants to move to and that's why you want to come!

Jobs are sometimes tough to come by, especially since you'll be a foreigner (not trying to mean or anything) but it's well known that a lot of Las Vegas employers like to hire local folks and permanent citizens of the US, but of course, there are always exceptions to the rules.

If you want to move to the US, you should also research states with better economies than Las Vegas, like Texas or Colorado and North Carolina.

You can do plenty of research on the internet for jobs, for any state, really.

If you can apply for them online, do so and see what happens and be prepared to jump on a plane to come to the US for an interview!

Much good luck to you!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 PM

236 posts, read 591,274 times
Lawgal,
I was in a very similar situation as you are. I moved here from Toronto (Canada), and i know its not easy finding employment AFTER you arrive, especially being from another country.

I highly recommend you try and secure something (or a few strong leads) before you commit to leaving UK and signing a lease for an apartment here. That's what I did before I made the move.

Also, it will be much easier if you have a 'specialty' or unique trade skill.

Best of luck to ya.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 PM

2,038 posts, read 3,975,545 times
Are you hot? It helps here.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:57 PM

2,038 posts, read 3,667,519 times
No offense, but how do you intend to get a working visa coming from the UK?

(in most professions) we don't have enough jobs for our own, let alone everyone else who wants to come.

Quote:
Hi All!

Lucy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas