Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 PM

222 posts, read 385,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I would wager over 25%. Underemployed can be worse than unemployed to be honest and that number is astounding I'm sure. I can say that I am scraping by myself and I don't even have the luxury of collecting unemployment if I'm laid off as I'm a contractor.
What's crazy is that people in this town who are fortunate enough to work don't seem to appreciate that at all. I had to fire two employees from my small business today (both making roughly $40k a year with fully paid health benefits, company vehicles, 5% 1/1 401K match, paid gas cards, and paid car insurance) because, despite several warnings, they were still working on "freelance" personal projects during business hours.

Both of them were stupid enough to use our e-mail system and leave the evidence in folders right on their desktops.

And here's where I'm a bit of a hardass.. I'm not about to pay both of these people 99 weeks of unemployment because they weren't "willful" in their violation of company policy (even though they really were). Both were officially fired for "theft of company property" (hey, they were stealing my time!) which means they'll be ineligible for unemployment benefits. If they challenge it, it's my word against theirs, and I haven't lost a challenge yet.

Sorry, but if you want to come into my business and work on other peoples' projects while I'm paying you, I have zero sympathy.

Oh well, at least they'll be replaced (hopefully, knock wood) with people who will actually appreciate the opportunity to have a stable, decent paying job with benefits in this terrible economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 12:06 AM

54 posts, read 121,804 times
I feel for you, Lisa. Really rooting for you. As an honest, hard-working person, you deserve better.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:23 AM

98 posts, read 186,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maharlika View Post
I feel for you, Lisa. Really rooting for you. As an honest, hard-working person, you deserve better.
Thank you Maharlika, it's nice to know there are people on here that really do care and try to offer any assistance they can.

I try to think of the saying, "This too shall pass" ...and hope for better times ahead.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Hang in there. Things may be better when you move.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I would wager over 25%. Underemployed can be worse than unemployed to be honest and that number is astounding I'm sure. I can say that I am scraping by myself and I don't even have the luxury of collecting unemployment if I'm laid off as I'm a contractor.
But I would also wager that fully 60% of that 25% have already done an ELVIS and left the building and are drawing their unemployment checks somewhere else.....

Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
...despite several warnings, they were still working on "freelance" personal projects during business hours.

Both of them were stupid enough to use our e-mail system and leave the evidence in folders right on their desktops.

And here's where I'm a bit of a hardass.. I'm not about to pay both of these people 99 weeks of unemployment because they weren't "willful" in their violation of company policy (even though they really were). Both were officially fired for "theft of company property" (hey, they were stealing my time!) which means they'll be ineligible for unemployment benefits. If they challenge it, it's my word against theirs, and I haven't lost a challenge yet.
As someone who was involved in the terminations and prosecutions of numerous employees throughout the country for fraud, theft, and other malfeasance and misfeasance, I wholeheartedly concur with your firing of these individuals for their transgressions. However, I have a hard time believing that you could substantiate a charge of "theft of company property."

Old 08-21-2010, 09:22 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
If you're a design firm then you may have a Copyright action since they were being paid by you to "design"

As such YOU own copyright to everything they do .

Old 08-21-2010, 12:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Default Just to make everyone feel a little better...

We are not nearly the area bottom. Riverside-San Bernardino is at 15.3. And that metro is twice the size of Las Vegas.

When people suggest we should diversify suggest to them they check out the Inland Empire.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:17 PM

98 posts, read 186,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
We are not nearly the area bottom. Riverside-San Bernardino is at 15.3. And that metro is twice the size of Las Vegas.

When people suggest we should diversify suggest to them they check out the Inland Empire.
Thanks for pointing this out Olecapt. I thought Las Vegas was the highest. I see where Los Angeles is at 12.4% for July, so that isn't that far behind.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:22 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
What's crazy is that people in this town who are fortunate enough to work don't seem to appreciate that at all. I had to fire two employees from my small business today (both making roughly $40k a year with fully paid health benefits, company vehicles, 5% 1/1 401K match, paid gas cards, and paid car insurance) because, despite several warnings, they were still working on "freelance" personal projects during business hours.

Sorry, but if you want to come into my business and work on other peoples' projects while I'm paying you, I have zero sympathy.

Oh well, at least they'll be replaced (hopefully, knock wood) with people who will actually appreciate the opportunity to have a stable, decent paying job with benefits in this terrible economy.

I wouldn't have any sympathy either. There will always be those that think nothing applies to them. Despite greed bringing down the economy, there are still those that are convinced greed is their way out. I take pride in knowing that karma is real even if it is only as real as it's deteriorating effect on the greedy's thinking; which eventually destroys their life. Mind you, someone could manage to make loads of cash and still destroy their life in so many ways.

Although generous, your extension of good pay and incredible benefits had likely made them too comfortable and they took the job for granted. I don't know what industry you are in but I can guarantee there are lots of people willing to work twice as hard for half as much and actually show appreciation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: