Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,575,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Great minds think alike.
Yes, don't do anything to stand up for your rights. The economy sucks
for everyone but somehow the employer gets a pass to crap on you.
Your options are to kiss his ass or starve.

At what point do you draw the line?

I sense a serious lack of compassion here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Wow, the internet is just full of people up in their ivory towers. I'm sure you would say the same face to face right? In any case, nobody really gets paid what they deserve. Only what they negotiate. Davie or anyone for that matter deserves a reasonable wage for the simple fact that it's the right thing to do. In this day and age we are still paying people well below what is needed to maintain basic costs of living. Inflation has soared past the minimum wage and we wonder why so many people suddenly snap and go on murdering sprees or develop stress related illnesses.
I have some bad news for you - people are paid what the labor market will bear. Why on earth would I pay someone $40K a year to man the fry machine when I can find scores of people to do it for half that wage? By implementing an artificially imposed minimum wage I've increased the overhead for anyone providing goods & services. The providers of those goods & services will in turn pass those costs on to their customers, which results in what? Higher prices of course - that murder spree inducing inflation that you're not so keen on.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,836,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Yes, don't do anything to stand up for your rights. The economy sucks
for everyone but somehow the employer gets a pass to crap on you.
Your options are to kiss his ass or starve.

At what point do you draw the line?

I sense a serious lack of compassion here.
OK, you starve, lose you home and live on the streets. I'll kiss ass and provide for my family. While you're on the strip holding a can out begging for change to support your "rights", I'll be busting my ass so when the next promotion opens up, I'll be the one they're looking at.

Good luck with that!

Sometimes you do what you have to do.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:55 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
I have some bad news for you - people are paid what the labor market will bear. Why on earth would I pay someone $40K a year to man the fry machine when I can find scores of people to do it for half that wage? By implementing an artificially imposed minimum wage I've increased the overhead for anyone providing goods & services. The providers of those goods & services will in turn pass those costs on to their customers, which results in what? Higher prices of course - that murder spree inducing inflation that you're not so keen on.

I understand how it currently works. I'm saying that it's bogus. I know it won't change anytime soon and I'm sure workers will continue to get screwed at the expense of keeping prices low. How do you think Walmart is so successful.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:30 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,277 times
Quote:
I understand how it currently works. I'm saying that it's bogus. I know it won't change anytime soon and I'm sure workers will continue to get screwed at the expense of keeping prices low. How do you think Walmart is so successful.
Well, we have to screw the workers with low wages or we'll get that soaring inflation that you speak of. And you know what comes with soaring inflation - murder sprees!

Are you calling for higher wages with the corresponding increase in murder sprees?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,969 times
Labor is a commodity pure and simple. You want to earn decent wages then learn a decent skill set. It not how hard you work but the work performed and who else can perform it. Career ditch diggers and burger flippers never seem to understand the concept

Davie grow a pair and tell your boss to give yourself a raise of f@ckoff. Either way of the outcome. You will maybe learn that untill you have something to offer. You will always be f@cked by management. While I never kissed @ss in my life. When my boss said jump. My response was how high and then some.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,836,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
While I never kissed @ss in my life. When my boss said jump. My response was how high and then some.
That is exactly what I mean by kissing ass. Not the suck up kind.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:47 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,575,875 times
I think a lot of you are missing something here. The traditional notion of offering something more to
your employers for more wages is out the window these days. I'm an IT professional with countless
certifications. I've been doing it for almost 30 years. In addition to IT, I am also a communications engineer. I have a spotless career record. My current employer (a huge fortune 100 company) has me doing my normal duties plus warehouse, parts delivery, answering phones and cleaning toilets. For 20% less then I was making last year. Mind you, I'm happy I have a job, but feel bad for the warehouse guy, parts runner and cleaning service people who don't anymore.

Do you think when things get better they will go back to paying me to just do IT? I doubt it.
If you don't see the changes it's just because they haven't hit you yet. They will.

It's easy to sit back and be smug that you aren't a ditch digger, the one thing you have going for you is that when push comes to shove you might
me offered that ditch digging job ahead of the actual ditch diggers... So they can pay you ditch digger wages for whatever profession you actually bring.

Good luck all.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:53 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Well, we have to screw the workers with low wages or we'll get that soaring inflation that you speak of. And you know what comes with soaring inflation - murder sprees!

Are you calling for higher wages with the corresponding increase in murder sprees?

I'm pretty sure minimum wage employees are not holding back soaring inflation. Even though I know you're just joking about it at this point, I will agree to disagree that screwing the workers is a questionable recipe for success to employers and a pain for employees. Take into account the amount of employee theft, employee turnaround and general disloyalty to companies and I don't think you are going to see murdering sprees slightly accommodating pay to a livable wage.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure minimum wage employees are not holding back soaring inflation. Even though I know you're just joking about it at this point, I will agree to disagree that screwing the workers is a questionable recipe for success to employers and a pain for employees. Take into account the amount of employee theft, employee turnaround and general disloyalty to companies and I don't think you are going to see murdering sprees slightly accommodating pay to a livable wage.
People who steal and are disloyal to companies are often treated unfairly by their company. That doesn't justify their behavior but I can understand why they do what they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas