Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:23 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times

Advertisements

I have the windows open and the ac off finally! Love this breezy cooler weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,912 times
a breath of fresh air!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 AM

74 posts, read 121,270 times
Las Vegas gets precipitation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I have the windows open and the ac off finally! Love this breezy cooler weather.
it was nice out last night...it won't last though.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:35 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
I drove home on the freeway last night with all 4 windows down. I was loving it Its a shame it cant be like this all year

Old 08-29-2010, 12:26 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,746 times
I'm definitely with the majority on loving the Spring and Fall here. The increased frequency of high wind can be a mild detractor from that affinity, but after it whips up the top layer of dust for a few days, the clarity is spectacular. So that single detractor also offers stay-cationers an ample complement in their ventures to a choice of many local awesome overlooks. (Ah, Sunday morning, and it seems I'm in babbling brochure mode all of a sudden [one of my favorite modes, by the way, so thanks to you all, along with our weather this morning, for the mental priming!].)

Those of us who are fortunate enough to consider regional attractions as conveniently located (not me, so I say this to elicit commiseration from the less fortunate in that equation, not envy) are coming close to a time when SE Utah and SW Colorado wilderness, parks, and monuments will be the other type of 'prime'. Just as for the desert cities, the end of September will be ideal weather for the desert canyons (and plenty of rain in those as Fall closes in, I'm sure from experience). And then in early to mid October it's on to the Weminuche, where you better be ready for a snap reintroduction to the cold (and I mean COLD compared to what Vegas experiences as early Fall), but if you are prepared to keep comfortable, functional, and mobile in that mountainous climate you get to learn exactly why they call it "Colorful Colorado". Brings a whole vaster level to the term "eye candy".

Old 08-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Here's one for you Davie. I remember once a huge downpour, in the fall, and was approaching the intersection of W.Sahara/Ft.Apache and a car in the left turn lane going north and turning west went through too fast for wet conditions. His SUV came flying through the light, hit that dip too fast and hard, spun around in a few circles before he could control it, and finally got it right again and continued on his way. Everyone at the light just watched in awe and didn't go until it was over. It almost seemed like it was all slow motion. I thought for sure he would hit the median, bounce off that and hit a light pole or something, maybe flip, but he didn't.
Thats why I try my absolute best to take my time in the rain. That guy was VERY lucky he did not flip and was able to keep on driving. It is things like that which make me afraid to drive in the rain. Along with the minor accident I had in February where my car was not able to stop in time and I rear ended a Subaru. Damage was minimal but I was SO scared to drive in the rain after that.

There was also this one intersection that was flooded during a powerful FLA thunderstom, and I stupidly attempted to drive though it and my car stalled. Water was coming into the interior, luckily I was able to start it up and get out of there ASAP.

Im still in an east coast mentality about the rain I guess, but I also hated when the rain came down so hard, the traffic on I-4 came to a stop because nobody could see anything usually at evening rush hour, along with the time I saw lightning once stike the median just 3 or 4 feet from my car in the left lane

And people wonder why I hate rain so much

Old 08-29-2010, 03:28 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Thats why I try my absolute best to take my time in the rain. That guy was VERY lucky he did not flip and was able to keep on driving. It is things like that which make me afraid to drive in the rain. Along with the minor accident I had in February where my car was not able to stop in time and I rear ended a Subaru. Damage was minimal but I was SO scared to drive in the rain after that.

There was also this one intersection that was flooded during a powerful FLA thunderstom, and I stupidly attempted to drive though it and my car stalled. Water was coming into the interior, luckily I was able to start it up and get out of there ASAP.

Im still in an east coast mentality about the rain I guess, but I also hated when the rain came down so hard, the traffic on I-4 came to a stop because nobody could see anything usually at evening rush hour, along with the time I saw lightning once stike the median just 3 or 4 feet from my car in the left lane

I don't wonder. I understand. For me, her name was Dallas. Isn't a windshield wiper in the world that could wipe her from my memory.

I've experienced Miami area monsoons, but those few times I was told I had lucky timing there as far as weather severity. No high winds or sustained downpours, just those scattered thundercloud downpours for 5-15 minutes.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:32 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

I hate it because I was a delivery driver back in Phoenix. It was horrible having to drive 10 hours a day in it, trying to avoid accidents and keep the deliveries dry.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I hate it because I was a delivery driver back in Phoenix. It was horrible having to drive 10 hours a day in it, trying to avoid accidents and keep the deliveries dry.
I highly doubt it rained 10 hours a day in Phoenix, granted I've never lived there but Phoenix is a desert like Las Vegas. Even in Orlando the summer rain was sporadic, and in Phoenix it didnt rain EVERY SINGLE DAY from May-October

Sorry to sound rude and defensive, just stating my opinion

Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
It might not have rained 10 hours in a row, but it would rain off and on all day. This could last for 3 or 4 days and we do get a lot of floods there. Phoenix is not like Vegas, it gets twice the amount of rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas